2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

Where did you read anything about the color/logo in their press release?  All I read about was Jonesy and Brierre - I didn't read anything *official* about colors or logos, and didn't see the graphics you posted anywhere.  In fact, one is missing the (r), so it would seem like one or the other isn't official.

The logo's are from their facebook, and with the rumors of them getting new uniforms and darker shade of orange. Nothing is official until they announce new uniforms of course.

But for now its just putting 2 and 2 together.

41 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

The logo's are from their facebook, and with the rumors of them getting new uniforms and darker shade of orange. Nothing is official until they announce new uniforms of course.

But for now its just putting 2 and 2 together.

OK, so I hope that nobody that sees the press release posted here thinks that they were actually announcing a change in color, which is what was implied and how (at least some) people took it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know Coyotes is a fairly generic name that would work in a lot of places, but if they are playing somewhere else next season I hope they find a way to rebrand. If it’s rushed maybe we get stuck with a Tennessee Oilers situation for a year or two. 

If it’s KC or Quebec I think it’s safe to say they’d bring back the Scouts/Nords name. Not sure about Houston. The Aeros name & double blue scheme is too close to the Jets brand. 

On 5/12/2023 at 5:11 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Agreed except for the last part. It's Seattle that needs to ditch the red. Salmon would be perfect for them

I have bad news for you: ownership in Seattle has some weird obsession with red. Most of the placeholder “NHL to Seattle” stuff was red and they had a kid at the opening press conference wearing a red Washington Wild sweater. Rumors early on were that red might even be the dominant team color. 

But now we’ve embraced it too, to the point where we chant “red glare” during the Star-Spangled Banner. It’s a good accent color, salmon would be fine but it wouldn’t allow the eye in the logo to pop as much.

• Like 4

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 5/17/2023 at 1:43 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I know Coyotes is a fairly generic name that would work in a lot of places, but if they are playing somewhere else next season I hope they find a way to rebrand. If it’s rushed maybe we get stuck with a Tennessee Oilers situation for a year or two. 

If it’s KC or Quebec I think it’s safe to say they’d bring back the Scouts/Nords name. Not sure about Houston. The Aeros name & double blue scheme is too close to the Jets brand. 

I always LOVED the Aeros green sweater

Lot Detail - 1990s Houston Aeros Jersey

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I have bad news for you: ownership in Seattle has some weird obsession with red. Most of the placeholder “NHL to Seattle” stuff was red and they had a kid at the opening press conference wearing a red Washington Wild sweater. Rumors early on were that red might even be the dominant team color. 

But now we’ve embraced it too, to the point where we chant “red glare” during the Star-Spangled Banner. It’s a good accent color, salmon would be fine but it wouldn’t allow the eye in the logo to pop as much.

Yeah I actually don't mind the red for Seattle at all. There isn't a lot, but what is there does add a really strong pop of contrast to the otherwise toothpaste tube coloured jerseys. 

Also it helps to have a colour like red in your scheme in a market like Seattle where every other team is using some shades of variations of blue and green. Adds differentiation. 

• Like 3

On 5/16/2023 at 6:02 AM, BBTV said:

OK, so I hope that nobody that sees the press release posted here thinks that they were actually announcing a change in color, which is what was implied and how (at least some) people took it.

To be fair, the Flyers' page on the official Brand Assets site made a change from 172 C to 173 C a month or so ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

It’s a good accent color, salmon would be fine but it wouldn’t allow the eye in the logo to pop as much.

I see what you mean, I should have been more specific. I meant a bright, punchy pinkish-orangey red, not a muted, dull one. Something like this here. I wouldn't be against "watermelon" or "coral" either. It could have been another colour they would have claimed as their own in the NHL

spacer.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TruColor said:

To be fair, the Flyers' page on the official Brand Assets site made a change from 172 C to 173 C a month or so ago.

oh I wasn’t doubting that the color may actually be changing, just saying it’s not cool to manipulate a press release to give people the impression that it was specifically about a color change, when that had nothing at all to do with it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/19/2023 at 8:48 PM, Unocal said:

Vegas-Florida aesthetically might be the worst uniform matchup in Stanley Cup Finals history

I know this is cross-posted from the SiG forum, but...ever since Vegas switched from gray to gold as primary homes, something had looked...off to me about those sweaters, which is why I held off for so long on getting one. Well I'm in Vegas this weekend for both mini-vacay and game 2 (finally get to see the Knights play live!), so I swung on over to the Armory (their team store) to get an up close look at those gold sweaters and...yeah, those are just a bit too glittery for my taste. They work great as a 3rd/alternate (and speaking of alts the black VEGAS script alts look much better in person than I thought), but as primaries it's just too much. I much prefer the original gray sweaters that feature the gold enough to notice but not distract...so that's the one I got.

Sidebar: I still cannot get over how well both Vegas' and Seattle's identities turned (one of the stores on the strip has a good amount of Kraken stuff). If those were adidas' last contribution to NHL aesthetics, then they are going out with a big ol' bang AND leaving a pretty high bar for team identities in their wake.

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 hours ago, tBBP said:

I know this is cross-posted from the SiG forum, but...ever since Vegas switched from gray to gold as primary homes, something had looked...off to me about those sweaters, which is why I held off for so long on getting one. Well I'm in Vegas this weekend for both mini-vacay and game 2 (finally get to see the Knights play live!), so I swung on over to the Armory (their team store) to get an up close look at those gold sweaters and...yeah, those are just a bit too glittery for my taste. They work great as a 3rd/alternate (and speaking of alts the black VEGAS script alts look much better in person than I thought), but as primaries it's just too much. I much prefer the original gray sweaters that feature the gold enough to notice but not distract...so that's the one I got.

I’ve actually come around a bit on the switch to gold as the primary home look. In a vacuum I think the grey looks better, but the gold & white jerseys work better as a set. Black being so prominent on the grey jerseys & almost non-existent on the white was a bit jarring. 

At this point they should recolour the logo to just be grey & gold. The black crest sticks out like a sore thumb now. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

18 hours ago, tBBP said:

Sidebar: I still cannot get over how well both Vegas' and Seattle's identities turned (one of the stores on the strip has a good amount of Kraken stuff). If those were adidas' last contribution to NHL aesthetics, then they are going out with a big ol' bang AND leaving a pretty high bar for team identities in their wake.

For me, it was the white in the jersey that seemed off.  I've gotten use to it and it doesn't look as bad now.  The one thing I didn't really like at the time was that it was just a gold recolour of their current jerseys instead of something original.  But, now that they've become the primary home, I appreciate that was what they went with and didn't end up with mismatched home/aways, which could end up starting a never ending cycle of mismatched primaries like what's gone on with Minnesota and Carolina.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I’ve actually come around a bit on the switch to gold as the primary home look. In a vacuum I think the grey looks better, but the gold & white jerseys work better as a set. Black being so prominent on the grey jerseys & almost non-existent on the white was a bit jarring. 

At this point they should recolour the logo to just be grey & gold. The black crest sticks out like a sore thumb now. 

7 minutes ago, M4One said:

For me, it was the white in the jersey that seemed off.  I've gotten use to it and it doesn't look as bad now.  The one thing I didn't really like at the time was that it was just a gold recolour of their current jerseys instead of something original.  But, now that they've become the primary home, I appreciate that was what they went with and didn't end up with mismatched home/aways, which could end up starting a never ending cycle of mismatched primaries like what's gone on with Minnesota and Carolina.

I'll say this re: both...on ice and from a distance, the gold and white jerseys do sync up better with one another. The issue—for me at least—is in the details up close. The floral pattern imprinted on the sleeve stripes just seems to...well, their effect is greater in the gold bands on the black and white jerseys (and on the crest) moreso than on the white bands on the gold jerseys...and then there's that glittery fabric. I love it, don't get me wrong, but...up close, it's just a tad bit too much for me. (This from someone from Florida, where shiny glittery things are all over the place, so take that for what it's worth.)

The shimmer is FAR more pronounced in person, for those who haven't seen one up close yet, but...here are the best photos I could dig up:

cut.jpg

vegas-golden-knights-circa-sports-jersey

All of that said, I absolutely love how Vegas has settled into the gold and gray as a primary colorway. (Actually I love everything about this identity...one of the reasons I've been such a huge fan of the team since their inception.)

About the crest...I'd have to see a mockup to see how it'd look with gray swapped out for black, but it may lose some depth if color-swapped, and I don't know that I'd want to see that.

Now, flipping over to Dallas...I still wish they'd outline their numbers with black to play better off their crests, but I must admit that green looks dang nice on the ice, now that I've seen that in person, as well. I mean that is about as perfect a hue of green as they could have chosen. 

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Is that shimmer fabric just as light as their normal fabric? 

If so, I wonder if it could be used for football jerseys or pants.  The shimmer could look great in both metallic and non-metallic colors (like a "shimmer-black".)

39 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is that shimmer fabric just as light as their normal fabric? 

If so, I wonder if it could be used for football jerseys or pants.  The shimmer could look great in both metallic and non-metallic colors (like a "shimmer-black".)

I wonder the same thing re: football pants. So far, I've only seen that shimmer fabric used on the Knights' sweaters and the bronze parts of the Capitols' screagle throwbacks. It does feel slightly scratchier than the flat fabric, but yes, the dazzle fabric is super-light, like, almost lighter than paper to the touch. (The matte fabric is only slightly less light...but all very breathable.)

All that said, yep, like you I found myself wondering how or if Nike can/did engineer a similar type of fabric to use for pants. Might require a lot of lycra, but with all the monetary resources they have, I'm sure they could pull it off. Heck...I'd like to see if adidas could pull that off for their own football uniform pants!

Do we think / know Vegas will ELIMINATE black in future, or just focus on grey / gold?  To me grey / gold is a cool unique combo but the issue with the current gold jersey (apart from gold just not being a great primary color) is too much (or any?) white.  I don't know why the current white jersey looks good to me with "70% white and 10% gold" while the current gold jersey looks abysmal to me with "70% gold and 10% white".  To my eyes getting rid of white would make the gold work better:

spacer.png

And to me the other big improvements that could be done would be (1) send the chrome helmets to needy children in a developing nation and (2) eliminate gold (khaki) from the gloves.  

• Like 5
  • Dislike 2

36 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

Do we think / know Vegas will ELIMINATE black in future, or just focus on grey / gold?  To me grey / gold is a cool unique combo but the issue with the current gold jersey (apart from gold just not being a great primary color) is too much (or any?) white.  I don't know why the current white jersey looks good to me with "70% white and 10% gold" while the current gold jersey looks abysmal to me with "70% gold and 10% white".  To my eyes getting rid of white would make the gold work better:

spacer.png

And to me the other big improvements that could be done would be (1) send the chrome helmets to needy children in a developing nation and (2) eliminate gold (khaki) from the gloves.  

You know what? That's what it is. I don't know how I couldn't see that while trying to dissect it...but it's the white bands on the gold jersey that's throwing it off. 

And while gold and gray may as well be their base scheme, I don't see them ever completely dropping black (or red). Speaking of, I found some concepts on Icethletics and Twitter that I believe get closer to an ideal solution for the gold sweaters...

1024-chrisfortier-vgk.png?format=1000w

This one syncs up even better with the gray jerseys. And now that I'm looking at this, the gold base is offset well by the black (and gray).

Here's another similar mockup:

EdTiA_VXoAAHXX5.jpg

I REALLY like this one...it kinds flips the color order around between the black and gray—and the thin white piping isn't needed—but I think the gold plays better with the black breezers.

Also, I think its safe to say this thread's been temporarily Knightjacked...

• Like 3

The fact that the VEGAS Golden Knights’ sweaters look like old gold, combined with the New Orleans Saints using Vegas gold for everything, makes me want to slink into a grave

• Like 3

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins