2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I have yet to meet any Canucks fan that likes those uniforms over the Skate or any blue & green uniform they have worn in their history.

I have. Not many but they’re out there. The people who grew up watching the team during the West Coast express era. All it would take is for that to become trendy or nostalgic and suddenly you will have a bunch of people telling you those were the greatest Canucks uniforms of all time and they never should have switched.

7 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

They were the first though, as they first wore that combo in 1978, when the Flames were still in Atlanta and the current Sens franchise didn't exist. Not that they should drop blue and green.

They’ve also abandoned that combo for decades, and with their initial colour scheme were the first team in a big 4 sport to wear the blue and green colour combo, pioneering the whole blue and green being “Pacific Northwest colours” thing. They’re the only team in the league wearing them, (if you don’t count Seattle’s faded teal as ‘green’) as opposed to one of several wearing some derivative of black-red-yellow. So I think if they’re going to have any sort of claim on a colour scheme it’s blue and green.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

8 hours ago, randyc said:

Something like this perhaps? I really hope this doesn't come to fruition. The updated skate is a nice alternate to the blue and green look, but I do not want black and yellow back full-time.

oFe5sI1.png

Yes, something like that.

12 hours ago, B-mer said:

Oh no I didn’t. Guess I’ll have to find it. 

Page 8 of his "The...next...round" topic.

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

It's not like the orca logo has any significance to the Canucks besides the ownership name at the time being Orca Bay.

They really brute forced that logo into representing the team to the point where now it's sacred?

And the skate has no significance beyond the fact that hockey players wear skates. And the Stick-In-Rink has no significance beyond the fact that hockey is played with a stick on a rink. 

Nobody is calling the orca “sacred”. I am an Orca hater. I think it’s the worst logo they have. But they also have never really had a truly “good” logo either. They’ve worn the Orca for longer than any other logo at this point. The reasoning behind the Orca being the logo is stupid, that it’s a “local” animal. But the “corporate” argument makes no sense. The business of “Orca Bay” was selling hockey tickets. The idea that they changed their logo to represent the company that owns the team in order to sell more tickets for the team is a circular fallacy.

What people are more upset about is the possibility of the Canucks changing their look again for an inferior one. It has nothing to do with love for the logo, its appreciation for the overall look and exhaustion with the “identity crisis”. They look good in blue and green. It’s the closest they’ve come to “owning” a colour scheme. Them throwing it away for a dated, derived uniform is horrible brand management. But this is the Canucks we’re talking about so I shouldn’t be surprised.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Yes, something like that.

Page 8 of his "The...next...round" topic.

Who originally posted this yellow road jersey talk? I need to find it and look up their previous posts to see how connected they are. As a Canucks fan I must know if this has any legs or not

The skate logo is horribly dated and not good enough to inspire nostalgia.

• Like 10
  • Dislike 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Canucks issue is exactly like what we are talking about on the NFL thread about the Texans. It's extremely tough to establish a brand when your name is so vague. Your looking for a logo the identifies the team, but how do you visually create that when the name itself is so abstract? I don't know the right answers for either team . I'm not sure any of Canucks logos in the past have done a good job either. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PlayGloria said:

The Canucks issue is exactly like what we are talking about on the NFL thread about the Texans. It's extremely tough to establish a brand when your name is so vague. Your looking for a logo the identifies the team, but how do you visually create that when the name itself is so abstract? I don't know the right answers for either team . I'm not sure any of Canucks logos in the past have done a good job either. 

It’s no different really than the Patriots, Yankees, Canadiens, Giants etc. 

The problem is they’ve changed so many times that none of the looks have ever really established preeminence. There are some terrible logos that are considered untouchable classics because they’ve been around decades and/or are associated with championships.

I think it’s less the logo than it is the colours. If they switched the logos around but kept the same colour scheme/overall uniform design there would be a sense of continuity. But going from blue and green to black/red/yellow to navy and maroon to end up back at blue and green feels like you’re in a car with someone who keeps changing their destination and making erratic high speed turns when they decide they’re going somewhere else. Looking at their history they feel like completely separate teams in each logo era.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, bowld said:

Who originally posted this yellow road jersey talk? I need to find it and look up their previous posts to see how connected they are. As a Canucks fan I must know if this has any legs or not

Would they even be able to have a yellow away jersey with the Perds having a yellow home jersey?

40 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

It’s no different really than the Patriots, Yankees, Canadiens, Giants etc. 

The Patriots have a pretty defined brand and identity in the US Revolutionary War that has been consistent for their entire history.

The Yankees, Canadiens and Giants also all have letter based logos where the vagueness created their identities. The difference between these three and the Canucks is what you said,

40 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

The problem is they’ve changed so many times that none of the looks have ever really established preeminence. There are some terrible logos that are considered untouchable classics because they’ve been around decades and/or are associated with championships.

Canucks is so vague where anything could be considered "Canuck" after enough time. Any of their logos could have been their NY, CH or SF, but they never stuck to anything.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

27 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Patriots have a pretty defined brand and identity in the US Revolutionary War that has been consistent for their entire history.

That’s not the point. A ‘patriot’ is someone who loves their country. It’s not explicitly a minuteman. They’ve looped that identity into their name. The Canucks could have done something like that, with Johnny Canuck or something,  but they chose to go with logos depicting things unrelated to their nickname. I’m not saying it’s what they should have done, but it’s an option.

The Yankees, Canadiens and Giants also all have letter based logos where the vagueness created their identities. The difference between these three and the Canucks is what you said,

Right and people would argue that the ‘C’s in their logos do that, or the ‘CANUCKS’ written in the skate logo, or whatever. The problem comes back to switching logos every 10 years. 

Canucks is so vague where anything could be considered "Canuck" after enough time. Any of their logos could have been their NY, CH or SF, but they never stuck to anything.

Yeah that’s the point.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I have yet to meet any Canucks fan that likes those uniforms over the Skate or any blue & green uniform they have worn in their history.

There was also a time when people didn’t like the black/red/yellow colours. The skate uniforms have only recently become popular again. 

It’s only a matter of time until the nostalgia calendar moves into the 2000s, plus those uniforms are associated with a relatively successful period in the franchise history. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

There was also a time when people didn’t like the black/red/yellow colours. The skate uniforms have only recently become popular again. 

It’s only a matter of time until the nostalgia calendar moves into the 2000s, plus those uniforms are associated with a relatively successful period in the franchise history. 

The black, yellow and red (orange at the time) colour scheme was reviled when it was first adopted, then they made it progressively more palatable until the late 90s when people had essentially made peace with it.  Then when they dropped it completely, the general consensus was one of relief. There was some eyebrow raising at the new whale on the sweater, but a lot people happy that “blue was back”.

8 hours ago, bowld said:

He isn't from this board. :)

Like I said for me it smells more like retro.

4r2eer.png

Dear Canucks:

Abbotsford has proven that Skating Johnny works as a primary. It's finally time once and for all.

32417444_web1_230420-ABB-wolanin-1_1.jpg

both-1_268894627-w-20220501jpg?cs=srgb&f

Standard whites on the road with Skating Johnny, a V arm stripe on the arms, blue shoulder logos.

Blue jerseys at home, with Skating Johnny,  a V arm stripe and white shoulder logos.

Green jerseys as an alternate with Vachon-Johnny (the V is blue) on a green jersey with normal arm stripes and  white shoulder logos.

NEVER. CHANGE.  AGAIN.

• Like 16
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

3 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Dear Canucks:

Abbotsford has proven that Skating Johnny works as a primary. It's finally time once and for all.

32417444_web1_230420-ABB-wolanin-1_1.jpg

both-1_268894627-w-20220501jpg?cs=srgb&f

Standard whites with Skating Johnny, a V arm stripe on the road, blue shoulder logos.

Blue jerseys at home, with Skating Johnny,  a V arm stripe and white shoulder logos.

Green jerseys as an alternate with Vachon-Johnny (the V is blue) on a green jersey with normal arm stripes and  white shoulder logos.

NEVER. CHANGE.  AGAIN.

Yeah but...if Vancouver sports Johnny, what's Abbotsford gonna wear??

And speaking of wearing stuff, I'm guessing Carolina is gonna keep these white CANES roadies around for a while, yes? Well, I'm looming more closely at that chest script and...if they fashioned some (italicized) block numbers in the same style to match and then applied them to their other two jerseys, that might be a way to evoke the original NASCAR look in the present and going forward...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Regarding the Canucks; I severely doubt it'll be anything more than a color tweak, and maaaaybe a little uniform alteration at maximum. The Orca is too ingrained into the brand to dump at this point, it'll be a cold day in Hell before they use the Stick-in-Rink as a primary logo again and with Johnny now representing Abbotsford you can't use him as NHL imagery.

The problem with the Skate is that either way it's a deathtrap to tie your entire brand around; if you just use the retro logo, you'll get raked over the coals because it's a terrible logo that mainly got platooned by '94 nostalgia that is quickly fading; it doesn't have the benefit of being considered a universal upgrade over their current look, like how the Sens' rebrand was considered a universal upgrade over the look they'd had prior.

And if you remake it to try and make it look better, you risk pissing off the crowd you're trying to please by "ruining" the logo for them and they just won't buy stuff, meaning then nobody wins.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Regarding the Canucks; I severely doubt it'll be anything more than a color tweak, and maaaaybe a little uniform alteration at maximum. The Orca is too ingrained into the brand to dump at this point, it'll be a cold day in Hell before they use the Stick-in-Rink as a primary logo again and with Johnny now representing Abbotsford you can't use him as NHL imagery.

Maybe, but this is the Canucks we're talking about. I wouldn't put anything past them. They've made inexplicable edits to the uniforms already, like removing the pants stripes. It just feels like they cannot stop themselves from messing around with the uniforms. You ever know someone who is an artist or musician or whatever, and they just don't know when to stop with something? They'll be making a song or drawing something or whatever, and they just keep adding stuff to it and making changes because its never finished in their eyes, which is what it feels like with the Canucks. 

The problem with the Skate is that either way it's a deathtrap to tie your entire brand around; if you just use the retro logo, you'll get raked over the coals because it's a terrible logo that mainly got platooned by '94 nostalgia that is quickly fading; it doesn't have the benefit of being considered a universal upgrade over their current look, like how the Sens' rebrand was considered a universal upgrade over the look they'd had prior.

The issue ties back to the 'nostalgia' thing, and the way the team has been marketing the Skate I don't know if they see that. In my experience there are three types of fans who want the skate the full time:

The first are people who grew up watching the team wearing the skate and are nostalgic because of it.  That's perfectly understandable, and I'm not going to begrudge them that. But basing the uniform around the nostalgia of one subsection of the fanbase is a terrible idea when you have other people nostalgic in that same fanbase for other uniforms for other eras. Hell, I'm nostalgic for the navy and maroon West Coast Express era jerseys, but I recognize they're an inferior option and you won't hear me demanding for a switch back to those.

The second, and largest group from what I can tell are people who like the Skate because it’s trendy.  The 90s are nostalgic, it’s the hot "new" (old)  thing. When asked why they like the uniform they'll use adjective like it’s "clean", "fire" etc. These are the same people who would insist on switching back to the stick-in-rink full time when those were re-introduced in 06, or the Millionaires jersey in 2014, and will be the same people insisting on changing to something else 10 years down the line.  They are extremely vocal about it and make it seem like they're a much larger group than they are. If you are handing out chocolate ice cream to a crowd of 100 people, and 10 of them start screaming about how they want strawberry ice cream while the others are just enjoying the chocolate, its going to seem like the entire crowd wants strawberry because those are the people making all the noise.

The last group are people who want the skate because its "intimidating". Which is just dumb. No professional athlete is afraid of the colour of their opponents jerseys, or the logo on their chest or whatever. If that's the direction we're going we might as well rename the team to the 'Vancouver Super Skull Death Killers' so Connor McDavid is going to be frightened when he skates up the ice and sees all the extra intimidating players in their hot dog stand uniforms.

And if you remake it to try and make it look better, you risk pissing off the crowd you're trying to please by "ruining" the logo for them and they just won't buy stuff, meaning then nobody wins.

Yeah but I think you're overestimating how much the people asking for it really pay attention. They made alterations to the skate logo on the current third they just introduced and pretty much none of them noticed.