2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

11 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

The fact that the VEGAS Golden Knights’ sweaters look like old gold, combined with the New Orleans Saints using Vegas gold for everything, makes me want to slink into a grave

Interesting you mention the Saints, because that is the first team I thought of when I saw the shimmer fabric of the Knights' gold sweaters. If adidas can engineer a dazzle-type fabric good enough to use for hockey sweaters, I'm sure Nike can come up with something similar for a potential gold alternate top for the Saints (recalling their one-time gold alternates from like '02 or whenever it was), or dazzle-type fabric period for the teams that have a "metallic" in their colorway (Saints, 49ers, Raiders, Patriots...am I missing any?).

Having said that, and I don't know that I mentioned this previously, but the adidas shimmer fabric itself also looks super nice in person. It's probably the reason I prefer it in smaller doses, because it has greater effect that way. (I didn't know this at first, but those black VEGAS alternates of theirs also have shimmery gold NOBs...wonky number font aside, that also looks really good in person. Doubt I'll splurge for one of those, though.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

22 minutes ago, squamfan said:

👀

Oh ffs can we please stop touching the Canucks jerseys. They already got rid of the green stripes on the pants. Are they trying to get rid of it entirely so they can look  like the Leafs/Lightning?

My biggest fear is they drop blue and green entirely in favour of the skate jerseys to appease the vocal minority of trendy mouthbreathers demanding they switch to it full time because its the flavour of the month.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Huh? 1

57 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I've read few months ago that there is an option to going back to black-red-yellow,

@B-mer should also read about it.

Can you link it? Its an "option" yes, just like the Yankees changing their colour scheme to purple and teal is an option. 

Everything I've seen regarding the skate has just been a small amount of extremely passionate people clamouring for it because its "sick", "fire", "clean AF", "intimidating" etc, but really because its the flavour of the month fad and even if they did go back to the skate full time, they'd demand something else later. 

19 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

The fact that the VEGAS Golden Knights’ sweaters look like old gold, combined with the New Orleans Saints using Vegas gold for everything, makes me want to slink into a grave

Good point about the shade of gold Vegas uses. Their gold sweaters have been reminding me of the yellow ones the Penguins had in the 1980's (that they half-assed bringing back for a few years recently), and their other two unis always looked like rejected Wilkes-Barre Penguins unis from the early 2000's (replace the graphite with black and keep the metallic gold with red accents). I used to joke that, "Vegas made better metallic gold-era Penguins jerseys than the Penguins did" when they first came out. Then they came out with the former-third-now-home sweaters. The pre-edge shimmer gold the Pens used seemed to be less yellow than Vegas, though, which helps. The fabric Vegas uses also separates it for me and adds a uniquely "Vegas" touch.

I've always liked Vegas's uniforms (except those abominable metallic helmets), but as a Pens fan it's taken a few seasons to get past the "they look a lot like we should have" thoughts.

oBIgzrL.png

On 5/21/2023 at 6:04 PM, tBBP said:

cut.jpg

vegas-golden-knights-circa-sports-jersey

I can't look at that fabric without thinking of the upholstery of my grandmother's couch from the '60s or the trim on the wrist of Captain Kirk's Star Trek uniform. 

It's awful. I can't imagine wanting to transfer this to another sport, let alone use it at all. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

The Vegas gold jersey is a great third jersey, and that's it. It does a great job of creating continuity within their look established by the original set, and its sparkle and shine is aesthetically suited for a team from sin city known for the glitz and glamour of the strip. Hence the “That’s So Vegas” slogan that was used to promote the jersey when it was unveiled.

However, for a main jersey their grey sweater was perfect in almost every way.  The way the minimal use of red would pop on the sleeves, the dazzling golden armbands with the embossed pattern was a perfect way to use a glittery gold color without overdoing it to the point of it being jarring, as well as being the most eye catching part of their look. The logos featured a significant amount of black which they balanced nicely with the striping, black pants and their base dark grey color. 

People criticize the road jersey for not having enough black or working better with the gold third, but I think it was fine, their was enough black on the logos and on the collar for them to wear black pants and it fit far better with the grey sweater than the gold, after all they were designed for each other. The gold armbands and waist stripe on the white jersey but white armbands and white waist stripe on the gold jersey looks off. The matching use of gold on the original home and road is superior. The lack of black on the third is negligible as a third, but then you drop the black pants from the road jersey and go heavy on the grey, and the gold jersey is too heavy on the sparkling gold which the white lacks and you create a color imbalance. It appears as if the gold color should be the predominant color on the road after white, similar to nashville, but for some reason it's the grey color. And then little to no black anywhere but on the logos and just on the road collar only which creates a minor yet unnecessary inconsistency.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Can you link it?

I could quote it: "(little birdy told me that they will go to a yellow away uniform maybe as early as next season dropping the blue and greens)"

9 hours ago, B-mer said:

eh?

You didn't see that Jimbo post from late january? IIRC he had few correct predictions/leaks in past.

To be honest I'm lean more into retro rather than rebrand but we'll see.

4r2eer.png

19 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

You didn't see that Jimbo post from late january? IIRC he had few correct predictions/leaks in past.

To be honest I'm lean more into retro rather than rebrand but we'll see.

Oh no I didn’t. Guess I’ll have to find it. 

On 5/22/2023 at 4:01 PM, Chromatic said:

Oh ffs can we please stop touching the Canucks jerseys. They already got rid of the green stripes on the pants. Are they trying to get rid of it entirely so they can look  like the Leafs/Lightning?

My biggest fear is they drop blue and green entirely in favour of the skate jerseys to appease the vocal minority of trendy mouthbreathers demanding they switch to it full time because its the flavour of the month.

I don’t know if the pro-Skate crowd is as much of a minority as you say. I live in the Vancouver area and most Canuck fans I talk to prefer the Skate.

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I could quote it: "(little birdy told me that they will go to a yellow away uniform maybe as early as next season dropping the blue and greens)"

Something like this perhaps? I really hope this doesn't come to fruition. The updated skate is a nice alternate to the blue and green look, but I do not want black and yellow back full-time.

oFe5sI1.png

• Like 1

8prlQWA.png

On 2023-05-23 at 12:21 AM, seasaltvanilla said:

Besides being their ugliest logo, switching to the spaghetti skate look would make the Canucks the third  Canadian team to use some variation of red, black, and yellow/gold. 

They were the first though, as they first wore that combo in 1978, when the Flames were still in Atlanta and the current Sens franchise didn't exist. Not that they should drop blue and green.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I don’t know if the pro-Skate crowd is as much of a minority as you say. I live in the Vancouver area and most Canuck fans I talk to prefer the Skate.

If it becomes the primary they’ll get bored of it and suddenly they’ll be clamoring for a return to the navy/maroon orca set. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, randyc said:

Something like this perhaps? I really hope this doesn't come to fruition. The updated skate is a nice alternate to the blue and green look, but I do not want black and yellow back full-time.

oFe5sI1.png

I think this should be treated as a case of we have to see it to believe it. The NHL seems to only want white away jerseys and with Nashville and now Vegas wearing yellow/gold as their home colour(s), I just cannot see Vancouver having a yellow away if they do in fact switch to the new Skate design full time.

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

If it becomes the primary they’ll get bored of it and suddenly they’ll be clamoring for a return to the navy/maroon orca set. 

I have yet to meet any Canucks fan that likes those uniforms over the Skate or any blue & green uniform they have worn in their history.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I also live in Vancouver, and the majority of fans I encounter want them to keep the current look. The skate is seen as a fun third, but that’s what it should remain. You just don’t see a bunch of people yelling about the current uniforms because they’re the status quo.

What I do see however is a vocal minority who want the skate full-time because it’s extremely trendy. Just like there were a bunch of people clamouring for them to go back to the stick-in-rink full time when those were reintroduced. Or go to the Millionaires jerseys full-time when the Canucks brought those back. This is a cyclical thing. 90s nostalgia is at its zenith right now but it will fade. 

And if they do go back to the Skate full time, I guarantee you within 10 years there will be another groundswell of people insisting they change back to something else. It would be as stupid a decision as any of the hockey ops ones they’ve made, and this is the Canucks we’re talking about so that’s a high bar.

• Like 2