2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I'm more impressed with his mask...  Shades of Jon Casey.

Still, no one will ever convince me that this scheme isn't exponentially improved with black.  And that the final green North Stars jersey isn't one of the best looking sweaters of all time.  Just needed to ditch the black pants.

Eh, I see the black pants for the North Stars' green jerseys in the same vein as the Rangers using red pants for their white jersey, honestly, and nobody complains about the Rangers' mismatched pants;

spacer.png

Sometimes uniforms just...look better like that, and it's hard to articulate why they do. Like, objectively, blue pants clearly make more sense given the color heirarchy. But something about the red just kinda works.

2 hours ago, ruttep said:

Yeah, I have no idea why they decided to go with a green helmet and black pants for the late 80s/early 90s jersey:

Two possibilities:

They thought a black helmet was too much black, or, more likely, they didn't think at all, and figured what the hell, we already have green helmets, why buy black ones when green matches green just fine. NHL branding was unsophisticated in the late '80s, and the North Stars more unsophisticated than most.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/30/2023 at 10:48 PM, Ridleylash said:

Kassian and I believe Boyd also had matte helmets last year, though in that case it was likely down to helmet model since they both used a Bauer 4500 instead of a CCM or Bauer ReAkt like the rest of the team;

spacer.png

I guess the team liked how it looked and decided to adopt the matte look as standard.

lol, it was clearly not even a real matte finished. Arizona can’t even afford a new helmet for some players, so they ended up using can of spray paint to do the job! 😂 

On 10/30/2023 at 10:48 PM, Ridleylash said:

Kassian and I believe Boyd also had matte helmets last year, though in that case it was likely down to helmet model since they both used a Bauer 4500 instead of a CCM or Bauer ReAkt like the rest of the team;

spacer.png

I guess the team liked how it looked and decided to adopt the matte look as standard.

lol, it was clearly not even a real matte finished models. Arizona can’t even afford a new helmet for some players, so they ended up using can of spray paint to do the job! 😂 

The team is terrible (although they beat the Flyers lol), but this Sharks set is quickly becoming my favorite look they've ever had

spacer.png

spacer.png

(The only change I'd make would be making the road jersey numbers teal with black trim, instead of the other way around)

• Like 16

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

The team is terrible (although they beat the Flyers lol), but this Sharks set is quickly becoming my favorite look they've ever had

spacer.png

spacer.png

(The only change I'd make would be making the road jersey numbers teal with black trim, instead of the other way around)

I love them too. Part of me wants some of the gray/silver from the original set in there, but I don't know where and I wonder if it would take away from the teal's dominance. They did a great job on this set. 

• Like 1

The Sharks are an updated crest (fourth time's the charm!) from a perfect look. Oh, and a metallic silver middle stripe would be better. And black pants and maybe gloves for the teal jersey away to break up the mono-teal look.  I also wouldn't hate bumping up the brightness on the shade of teal a bit, as it's gotten darker and darker over the years...

Now that I think about it, the original sweater is still undefeated:

ff0e81b2c5c9e212.jpg

mens-adidas-teal-san-jose-sharks-home-pr

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, dont care said:

I really don’t know why the current logo gets so much hate. I like it far more than the old logo. It looks fiercer, contains all the colors, has more depth being 3D

It would be fine if they got rid of the orange and straightened the triangle across the top. Maybe bolder outlines to match the new shoulder logos

• Like 4

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

3 hours ago, GFB said:

The Sharks are an updated crest (fourth time's the charm!) from a perfect look. Oh, and a metallic silver middle stripe would be better. And black pants and maybe gloves for the teal jersey away to break up the mono-teal look.  I also wouldn't hate bumping up the brightness on the shade of teal a bit, as it's gotten darker and darker over the years...

Now that I think about it, the original sweater is still undefeated:

ff0e81b2c5c9e212.jpg

mens-adidas-teal-san-jose-sharks-home-pr

Honestly, I'm fine with there being no silver on the jersey. And I actually like them leaning more into the teal with their helmet and pants. Won't argue with you regarding the logo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I love them too. Part of me wants some of the gray/silver from the original set in there, but I don't know where and I wonder if it would take away from the teal's dominance. They did a great job on this set. 

I mean, just slip it into the striping like the originals had it instead of just having nothing in the middle. Just having the two outer colors and nothing in the middle just makes the stripe look unfinished; there's a reason teams with two-color striping like this tend to follow the formula of having the outermost stripes be one color, then having the jersey base color, and finally having the largest stripe be a second color.

4 hours ago, dont care said:

I really don’t know why the current logo gets so much hate. I like it far more than the old logo. It looks fiercer, contains all the colors, has more depth being 3D

It's the style of the cartoon for me. The shark is so overexaggerated, with those thin outlines and edgy shapes. The nose is too sharp, the top of the body is too flat, the way the teeth are illustrated as two white sections instead of individual triangles... it takes me back to a very specific time in the mid-aughts when that style was everywhere:

MV5BZDQ5ZmUyODMtNWI2OC00OTQxLTljOTQtM2Fh

And the funny thing is, when the team went back to the drawing board, the team didn't think they went far enough down the "anime" route:

Sharks-Compare.png

I don't believe the original crest is some wonderfully drawn shark either (like LIU or the old Clearwater Threshers)... but it does look more like a "real" shark, and frankly the understated nature of the original appeals to me more than either of the hyper-aggressive cartoons that followed.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

Honestly, I'm fine with there being no silver on the jersey.

I'm not.  Teal, silver, black and white was the perfect scheme for Shark-based team.  It was so perfect that it's frankly baffling why they ever changed it in the first place.

Making the middle stripes silver and getting rid of the gimmicky wave pattern would improve the set exponentially.

0cZi7fg.jpg

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, GFB said:

It's the style of the cartoon for me. The shark is so overexaggerated, with those thin outlines and edgy shapes. The nose is too sharp, the top of the body is too flat, the way the teeth are illustrated as two white sections instead of individual triangles... it takes me back to a very specific time in the mid-aughts when that style was everywhere:

MV5BZDQ5ZmUyODMtNWI2OC00OTQxLTljOTQtM2Fh

And the funny thing is, when the team went back to the drawing board, the team didn't think they went far enough down the "anime" route:

Sharks-Compare.png

I don't believe the original crest is some wonderfully drawn shark either (like LIU or the old Clearwater Threshers)... but it does look more like a "real" shark, and frankly the understated nature of the original appeals to me more than either of the hyper-aggressive cartoons that followed.

The only good logo there is the fin one, Because it looks like a loog and the original looked more like a logo, especially for a professional hockey team. Those one's above look like it's for an AHL team.

I agree with most of what is being said here. Sharks look great now (was calling from them to drop the orange on the jerseys for years) but the logo still bothers me a little. Too anime/exagerrated cartoon feeling. Does not feel like a classic hockey logo - which is a shame because their jersey does.

• Like 2

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The biggest problems with the Sharks look to me is that the teal is too dark and as a result the black and teal don't have enough contrast. So the black and teal mix on the white jersey. 

It's like the reverse of how the silver blends into the white on the old Sabres jerseys and ends up making the blue stripe look spindly and thin.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, GFB said:

If the Sharks just updated the original crest in the same style that they updated the original shoulder logo for the current uniforms, they'd be cooking with gas:

The shoulder fin logos are the only good logos the Sharks have ever had. Put them on the chest and you’d have something.

• WOAH 1
  • Meh 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, just slip it into the striping like the originals had it instead of just having nothing in the middle. Just having the two outer colors and nothing in the middle just makes the stripe look unfinished; there's a reason teams with two-color striping like this tend to follow the formula of having the outermost stripes be one color, then having the jersey base color, and finally having the largest stripe be a second color.

I don't mind it. It mixes things up a bit from the traditional Blackhawks or Northwestern 3 stripe design. 

spacer.png

spacer.png