2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

40 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Honestly, if they're trying to reduce the amount of equipment they bring out to Sweden, this would have been a good opportunity for color vs color. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but Leafs in blue vs Wings in red would have been great contrast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That would have been a nice shoutout to the old bubblehockey games

It was always Blues vs Wings when I played. That was the only time the Blues could beat those Yzerman teams 🤣

Ironically, black helmets are the only ones that look normal to me with a white jersey. Probably 30 years of conditioning playing hockey where everyone has a black helmet regardless of jersey. That's the big reason the Black helmets on the Canadian national team sets never really offended me.

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I don't care who started it. It's a stupid trend. Bush league as hell, like they can't afford two sets of helmets

What works for football doesn't necessarily work for hockey

Why does it not "work" for hockey? 

I cannot understand this overwhelming desire to maintain the status quo of quite possibly the most boring uniform in all of professional sports - the NHL road.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 2

7 hours ago, ruttep said:

I both love and hate how much the Hurricanes twitter account leans into their persona. It's actually infuriating.

It's funny, because I know I've said before that I could have envisioned the Hartford Whalers making a play for a low-density national fanbase through sheer idiosyncrasy: "a team for the rest of us," kind of what the Oakland A's have done. Someone here told me I was wrong and delusional and such a thing would have been impossible, but the Hurricanes seem to have done precisely that by being Weird Twitter: The Sports Team, and I can't help but think what ever sort of wackiness I had envisioned for a staying-put Whalers would be nowhere near as insufferable as what these McMansion sprawl-creatures have given us.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, lopernv said:

I cannot understand this overwhelming desire to maintain the status quo of quite possibly the most boring uniform in all of professional sports - the NHL road.

The NHL is just extremely traditional in its aesthetics. I mean, look at the playoff uniform rules and the near complete absence of color vs color (we also usually get only about couple dozen or so white-at home games per season across the entire league, and those are usually just showcasing special uniforms). Any amount of change is going to be met with resistance, that's just how it is.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

The Utah Jazz just leaked Seattle's Winter Classic jersey, and I think it looks pretty damn good.

They did it! Looks like it has the faux-ribbed retro collar. Makes the NHL shield just kinda float there. 

3 hours ago, lopernv said:

I don't think away jerseys are boring. A lot of teams look better in white imo

The fact is; teams that wear dark buckets with white jerseys are minor league teams, often the smaller markets with cheap owners. It's not a good look. It cheapens the whole look and makes the uniform look top heavy

Color vs color, whiteout (including the pants), gray based jerseys, hollow numbers, those things might be alright for other sports for many reasons (tradition, pace of play, color of playing surface) but not hockey. There's nothing wrong with tradition

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Why are the Utah Jazz leaking it? Is there a connection I'm missing?

Walker Kessler wore it to the arena. I don’t know how or why he has one. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.