2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

1 hour ago, CDCLT said:

The teams that have played so far are the Heat, Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Warriors, Kings, Grizzlies, 76ers, Thunder, and Jazz. We've already seen the Kings and the Warriors aren't changing. My guess is the 76ers, who, if I'm remembering correctly, adjusted the drop shadow on their red uniforms last season, so my guess is they're applying the same new drop shadow treatment to their white and blue jerseys.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd team is the Mavericks or the Pelicans - the Mavs seem to have been on the verge of a redesign for years and the Pelicans just swapped their global logo, maybe with new jerseys to go alongside?

Didn't we already know that the Suns were one of the teams changing? It's old news for the most part, so it's not really at the front of anyone's mind.

Good point about the Sixers though, that lines up with what I remember. I'd expect a blue+white set with the cursive "Phila" or "Sixers" wordmarks that we've seen in years past. Wordmarks won't be identical but probably fairly similar.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Conrad. said:

charlie-day.gif

And no, I didn't think about the Warriors going with the straight wordmark for Summer League. They've done that for a while now. They're not changing anything.

We've seen games of 2 of the 3 teams changing already. Obv, the Kings + a team that is barely changing wordmark treatment, not being reflected in the Summer League template.

The 3rd team is only playing in Vegas, so we'll (hypothetically) see the new wordmark soon.

So the Icon/Association changes are Sacramento, Philly, & Phoenix.  

How many new statement jerseys do we get next year?

Sacramento is one new one confirmed

Also, how many city jerseys are staying the same?

I think all I've seen is Brooklyn with a multicolored city jersey so far.

41 minutes ago, jdthrillinger said:

So the Icon/Association changes are Sacramento, Philly, & Phoenix.  

How many new statement jerseys do we get next year?

Sacramento is one new one confirmed

Also, how many city jerseys are staying the same?

I think all I've seen is Brooklyn with a multicolored city jersey so far.

Pelicans will get a new statement jersey

NBA In-Season Tournament was officially announced and... well let's just say that the branding isn't doing anything to change my mind about how I think this is just nothing more than a cash grab and doesn't really serve any purpose logistically and doesn't feel any more prestigious than being a one-seed for the playoffs.

Feels like they pulled their punches here. The branding or name doesn't really excite me. I think they would have benefitted with a more unique or high-quality name. The Wilt Chamberlain Cup? The Bryant Memorial Tournament? Heck, even a corporate sponsor name like the would feel better (as much as I hate it). I hope they have a better marketing plan in place because as it stands right now, all the negative press it is getting so far feels warranted. Nothing being communicated currently tells me why I should care about it as a fan as opposed to any other regular season game or achievement.

And yes, I know that this may be part of a strategy to also appeal to international fans by making something similar to the FA Cup, Carabao Cup, etc. by being an extra in-season competition, but this is still limited to a single league, rather than expanding to others. It's just an in-season playoff tournament that doesn't feel/won't be as important as winning the Larry O'Brien.

• Like 9

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

NBA In-Season Tournament was officially announced and... well let's just say that the branding isn't doing anything to change my mind about how I think this is just nothing more than a cash grab and doesn't really serve any purpose logistically and doesn't feel any more prestigious than being a one-seed for the playoffs.

Feels like they pulled their punches here. The branding or name doesn't really excite me. I think they would have benefitted with a more unique or high-quality name. The Wilt Chamberlain Cup? The Bryant Memorial Tournament? Heck, even a corporate sponsor name like the would feel better (as much as I hate it). I hope they have a better marketing plan in place because as it stands right now, all the negative press it is getting so far feels warranted. Nothing being communicated currently tells me why I should care about it as a fan as opposed to any other regular season game or achievement.

And yes, I know that this may be part of a strategy to also appeal to international fans by making something similar to the FA Cup, Carabao Cup, etc. by being an extra in-season competition, but this is still limited to a single league, rather than expanding to others. It's just an in-season playoff tournament that doesn't feel/won't be as important as winning the Larry O'Brien.

They've been creating and renaming trophies to honor past stars so does seem like a missed opportunity... Maybe they're saving it for the trophy while keeping the tourney name malleable? 

Disagree on the sponsor. Gimme generic over the YouTubeTV Tournament or whatever.

Have they stated whether there is an incentive aside from bragging rights (somewhere between winning the summer league and getting the 1st seed) and money to players? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

Crazy how bland, safe, and corporate this feels. Really should have gone the badge/shield direction like the NCAA tourneys do and named it something like the "Jerry West Mid-Season Classic" or "Las Vegas Hardwood Series". Imagine them playing this in the MSG Sphere lol (for the record, I have no idea if it can even house a basketball court)

2 hours ago, solvetica said:

Crazy how bland, safe, and corporate this feels. Really should have gone the badge/shield direction like the NCAA tourneys do and named it something like the "Jerry West Mid-Season Classic" or "Las Vegas Hardwood Series". Imagine them playing this in the MSG Sphere lol (for the record, I have no idea if it can even house a basketball court)

Not calling it the Silver Cup is a real missed opportunity.

• Like 7

Surprised there's no title sponsor for the pointless, in season tournament, though I expect that to change by the time the season starts.  Still don't get why anyone should care about this, including the players, except for the money, of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Surprised there's no title sponsor for the pointless, in season tournament, though I expect that to change by the time the season starts.  Still don't get why anyone should care about this, including the players, except for the money, of course.

I'm just glad the games are part of the regular season (aside from the final). I get sick of watching MLS teams sign minor leaguers to 1-day contracts just to have them play in US Open Cup games.

• Like 2

I know that at this point Mitchell and Ness is essentially Fanatics and also sell casual lifestyle (read: not authentic/accurate) jerseys, but for them to be labeled Hardwood Classics just grinds my gears (unless I was wrong and these styles were actually worn, even if just once).

20230706-191247.jpg

4 hours ago, sayahh said:

I know that at this point Mitchell and Ness is essentially Fanatics and also sell casual lifestyle (read: not authentic/accurate) jerseys, but for them to be labeled Hardwood Classics just grinds my gears (unless I was wrong and these styles were actually worn, even if just once).

20230706-191247.jpg

Can't lie the Magic one would make a great Sunday alternate if they could ever get their Purple jersey back to normal looking.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

I think they might wait for LeBron to retire and then slap his name on the tournament/trophy when he does. 

The LeBron James Trophy is going to be for the team that gets to the NBA Finals but doesn't win

• LOL 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/8/2023 at 9:57 AM, the admiral said:

The LeBron James Trophy is going to be for the team that gets to the NBA Finals but doesn't win

Jerry West would like a word.