2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

It does not go back to Jordan and the Bulls. Social media is too much a part of the NBA's current weirdness, as you said, and that wasn't there then. It wasn't there for the weird Jordan-LeBron interregnum and wasn't really even there for a lot of early LeBron, either. Up through the 2000s, the NBA was still broadly recognizable as a normal sports league. It's only fairly recently that it's become something else.

In my experience, it seems that over the past 5-7 years the NBA has stayed very popular on social media and national TV, but has become much less relevant in real life. And maybe it's just because I live in Ohio and LeBron isn't here anymore, but pre-covid if I walked up to a random group of guys who are into sports I would expect there to be some interest in the NBA. Not anymore. It's starting to feel more like a fringe sport like hockey. And I honestly believe that the whole AAU culture of the league (which the uniform/brand mess strongly attributes to) is the primary reason for that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bbush24 said:

And I honestly believe that the whole AAU culture of the league (which the uniform/brand mess strongly attributes to) is the primary reason for that.

Stern was a visionary but also a traditionalist in that he firmly believed every team should have a star player so that local fans are engaged with the team and want to see them play. That seems so quaint and provincial now. 

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

LED courts incoming?

That’s been my hunch once it was suggested that the courts were going to be special for the tournament.

Aaaaand nevermind. I can only wish it were LED courts 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

These gotta be hideous on purpose I refuse to believe the league brass thinks these look good. 

Its to make people think “What the hell is that” so they google it and find out the NBA In-Season tournament exists, which is the real reason they look like that. 

Because design wise this is such an obvious failure. 

• Like 4

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Stern was a visionary but also a traditionalist in that he firmly believed every team should have a star player so that local fans are engaged with the team and want to see them play. That seems so quaint and provincial now. 

This may just be me, but I really think this “NBA turning point” was the 2011 lockout. That’s when the “weird” started, for lack of a better term.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The NBA is really wasting their time with this tournament. Players don't care. Fans don't care. Yawn.

I can't wait to see the reaction when we see the first team raise an "NBA Cup Champions" banner to the rafters. It'll be even better if it ends up being a non-playoff team.

Remember when the Bucks had to can their cream alternates because they'd blend in with the court and mess up the CGI sponsors? I guess that problem got fixed, because otherwise there's about to be a lot of players disappearing into the green (or black, or purple, or blue, etc) screen.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

49 minutes ago, bbush24 said:

In my experience, it seems that over the past 5-7 years the NBA has stayed very popular on social media and national TV, but has become much less relevant in real life. And maybe it's just because I live in Ohio and LeBron isn't here anymore, but pre-covid if I walked up to a random group of guys who are into sports I would expect there to be some interest in the NBA. Not anymore. It's starting to feel more like a fringe sport like hockey. And I honestly believe that the whole AAU culture of the league (which the uniform/brand mess strongly attributes to) is the primary reason for that.

This may be a market by market thing because I'm in Boston and the Celtics (who've traditionally been #4 in the city, very occasionally briefly popping up to #3) are more relevant locally now than ever. It helps that they're consistently contending now whereas they had 3 years of contention and 25 years of mostly sucking in the years prior to the Tatum era. It also helps that the Patriots suck now and the Red Sox have withdrawn themselves from relevance. I can't tell you how often I used to ask bartenders if they'd put the Celtics game on the TV in the 2010s and it was like asking them to turn on The Biography Channel. 

The wider shift I think is less AAU and more about the Silver administration's fetish for anything soccer does. In fairness, the way European league soccer took off in the 2010s in the States did suggest that people (especially younger generations) will watch sports from far away, grow attachments to teams without a local connection, and chase the groups of star players more than the organization itself. (Also that you can sell a new set of jerseys to people every year, and change jerseys can grab from the extreme end of the Crayola box instead of just a color swap.) This whole tournament is a straight rip-off of the FA Cup and similar tournaments, neglecting of course that those events are usually MORE traditional and LESS centralized than the EPL or Bundesliga etc.

The other factor is the push to turn sport into Streaming TV Content, with the actual tickets to games becoming so expensive that it's only really tenable as an expense-account thing for city socialites. There's been no real consequence for that.

• Like 5