2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

8 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Wondering what the neutral site games later in the In Season Tournament will look like? Here's the court from NBA 2K24. It's exactly what you expect.

Also yes, all 30 courts are in the game during the tournament. Play at your own risk.

tLbTwBo.png

That honestly might be the least egregious one.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Wondering what the neutral site games later in the In Season Tournament will look like? Here's the court from NBA 2K24. It's exactly what you expect.

Also yes, all 30 courts are in the game during the tournament. Play at your own risk.

tLbTwBo.png

i feel like a neutral court shouldn't be red and blue. given the whole concept of painting each tournament court to match the home teams, i feel like this court is just really misleading. i immediately thought this was a floor for the 76ers. even with the "in season tournament" logo at center court. my eyes skipped over it. 

Edited by pelicanfan
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Heat at home is unwatchable. Gracious, what was the NBA thinking?

10 hours ago, pepis21 said:

After watching enough IST games I'd say that gray, beige and even light colors like Lakers or Timberwolves are farily ok and games are watchable, but darker ones and especially red courts are really sore to eyes.

Heat, Bulls, Sixers, among others.. Nuggets, Pacers, Suns, among the other colors. The light base floors are easier to watch and aesthetically better, but still ugly to be fully covered in paint instead of having the wood surface.

• Like 1

Going into the knockout stage of the tourney I have a few thoughts ...

1) I am a fan of the tournament. It really gives a purpose to games that even as a fan of the game I don't bother to track during this part of the season. I do feel like they should shift the games closer to Christmas and maybe do the Final on Christmas Day? Just a thought. 

2) As panned as some of the courts have been, I understand the reasoning, especially marketing behind it. These games are different and to the most casual of fans you understand that even when you see highlights or a flash of a game while flipping channels. I think they should keep loud or unusual courts a tradition for the tourney games ... just please take more time on the concept stage.

3) It sounds like next year we're going to get tourney-specific jerseys. Here are some thoughts of those ...

• As much as we don't need ANOTHER jersey in some team's rotations, I support it ... as long as the jerseys are ONLY worn during tourney games. I think they could have some fun with it too.
  • Tourney games, especially Group games should be "Color vs. Color." I've hated that most Tourney games have been the home team in the City Jersey and the opponent in their Association white jerseys. You should be able to have at least five clashing jerseys per group. Then in the knockout round you could go color vs. color with maybe a clash set (just not the regular white jersey) IF needed? 
  • You could base the tourney jerseys on a template like Christmas games were the last few years with Adidas? Perhaps a throwback or fauxback style like the NBA Remix/NHL Reverse Retro? It should be special, fun and loud IMO, especially if that's the route the league goes with the tourney. Maybe even take the concept of the City Jerseys and use them for just the tourney games? 

It will also be interesting to see if they move the Final Four games to other locations, especially if Vegas gets a NBA team? Madison Square Garden? New Orleans? Miami? Phoenix? Could also be attraction locations?

Just a few thoughts.

• Like 4

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:

It will also be interesting to see if they move the Final Four games to other locations, especially if Vegas gets a NBA team? Madison Square Garden? New Orleans? Miami? Phoenix? Could also be attraction locations?

Seattle, Disneyland, Disney World, SoFi Stadium, Austin, San Diego, Honolulu, Key West.

On 11/27/2023 at 11:25 PM, Old School Fool said:

tLbTwBo.png

This would be a good design for a neutral tournament court if they just got rid of the color

• Huh? 1

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

They should play one outside and call it the Winter Classic. 😏

I'm slightly surprised that the NBA hasn't done at least a "Stadium Series" with a number of domed stadiums in NBA markets (ie-Superdome, AT&T Stadium, SoFi Stadium, etc.). You'd think if the NHL can fill a stadium the NBA should be able to in the right market. 

• Like 5

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I'm slightly surprised that the NBA hasn't done at least a "Stadium Series" with a number of domed stadiums in NBA markets (ie-Superdome, AT&T Stadium, SoFi Stadium, etc.). You'd think if the NHL can fill a stadium the NBA should be able to in the right market. 

San Antonio kind of did that last year with the Alamodome, but that was more so a historical remembrance thing, rather than a "stadium series". I'd be interested to see them do one outdoors in a nice weather area, similar to the NCCA Military tip-offs, but I'm sure that would cause it's own set of problems with humidity and such

• Like 5

4 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I remember Suns play few outdoor games in preseason.

Yeah, I remember they played a couple games at the end of the 2000's in Indian Wells, CA at a tennis venue which essentially looked like a regular arena with no roof. Was only in preseason though and not the regular season.

mkah9m.jpg

indian-wells-ca-09th-oct-2010-jason-kidd

57668ee5-0014-403a-b9c1-cf6d6fb50d3e-sun

• Like 3
  • Love 3

bSLCtu2.png

On 2023-11-30 at 12:46 PM, kimball said:

I'm sure the NBA *could* fill a stadium in certain markets for certain special games but a.) not sure anyone cares or ever will care about the December FA Cup to really go for it, the way a Final Four game would, and b.) basketball games in dome stadiums kind of suck? The T'Wolves at least would build temporary, arena-sized stands around two sides of their court when they played in the Metrodome, but that's a lot of money and space wasted. Then again, I have no idea why people pay three digits to watch a Winter Classic game with 15 yards of white blankets between the ice and the front row of seating. That at least has the made-for-TV element going for it; the Sofi Stadium roof thing is cool but it's not going to add much to my basketball-viewing experience.

Can't imagine templated jerseys for the tournament being a good idea. It will make the whole enterprise look even more like Summer League. And this is an event we're supposed to care about *more* than the average regular season game.

• Like 1

OpenAI gave me these titles for thinkpieces about NBA stadium games:

How the So-Called Spectacle at SoFi Is Unfair to LeBron

With 90,000-Seat Sellout at SoFi, LeBron Does Another Thing Jordan Never Could

With Unprecedented Attendance Projections, Can the NBA Hold Fans Accountable?

Shame on the NBA: In Hyping MLK Day Stadium Game, January Games Lose the Unimportance That Makes Them Beautiful

Stadium Sorries: Don't You Dare Start Suggesting More Locations for More Games Like This

Dome Game Preview: Why the Washington Wizards Have "Low-Key Jewish Summer Camp Energy"

Silver Emulates College Football Rivalries for the Wrong Audience with "Nipsey Hussle Trophy"

• LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

OpenAI gave me these titles for thinkpieces about NBA stadium games:

How the So-Called Spectacle at SoFi Is Unfair to LeBron

With 90,000-Seat Sellout at SoFi, LeBron Does Another Thing Jordan Never Could

With Unprecedented Attendance Projections, Can the NBA Hold Fans Accountable?

Shame on the NBA: In Hyping MLK Day Stadium Game, January Games Lose the Unimportance That Makes Them Beautiful

Stadium Sorries: Don't You Dare Start Suggesting More Locations for More Games Like This

Dome Game Preview: Why the Washington Wizards Have "Low-Key Jewish Summer Camp Energy"

Silver Emulates College Football Rivalries for the Wrong Audience with "Nipsey Hussle Trophy"

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952lw4o8iw16nnnw38jdx

bSLCtu2.png