2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

Listening to the Bill Simmons Podcast today...                                                                    

Simmons: “The Chiefs are #11 in the AFC playoff standings.”                                                                                

Cousin Sal: “The committee will still vote them in though, right?”

BB52Big.jpg

56 minutes ago, ruttep said:

The Eagles were carving the Niners defense up early in the game last week with quick slants to AJ Brown, not sure why they stopped doing that.

IDK.  Maybe the 49ers DC said "ok, instead of this zone, let's put you on him and you on the other one", or some similar adjustment.  Then the Eagles OC was like "oh poop.... I have nothing."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Not as much as the Eagles.  An anonymous player told a reporter that they're pissed off about how much better the Cowboys play design is than theirs, and how the Cowboys plays are designed to get the ball out of Dak's hands quickly, while their plays take 10 minutes to develop and result in fire drills where Jalen either gets sacked or has to motion for guys to go somewhere they weren't supposed to.

That's pretty much unheard of for this team in the Sirianni era, and especially with Jalen Hurts, who is among the best leaders I've ever seen.  That's clearly a shot at their overmatched OC, and a potential sign that they're falling apart.

I don’t think you watched the end of the Seahawks game. They were dysfunctional and you had DK Metcalf ripping people’s heads off, and then a few plays later try and fight the whole team because they got and interception.

Continuing the Eaglejack, just heard that if they get the #2 seed, which they would by them and SF winning out, then Dallas would play in SF, thereby eliminating one of them, and then if Eagles win their home games, Dallas (if they beat SF) would play the NFCCG in Philadelphia.  So while they look like one of the worst teams in the NFL right now, there's still a chance that they can get right "enough" to end up in a good spot.

Ironically, getting the #2 is better than getting #1, where to get to the SB, they'd have to beat both Dallas and SF, which we just saw ain't going to happen, no matter how "right enough" they can get themselves.

• Facepalm 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Ironically, getting the #2 is better than getting #1, where to get to the SB, they'd have to beat both Dallas and SF, which we just saw ain't going to happen, no matter how "right enough" they can get themselves.

I think that the number 1 seed is always the goal though -- guaranteeing a first-round bye and a home-field NFC Championship game is a huge advantage. A bye week right before the most important football games of the season is the best "get right" opportunity that a football team can get. The 49ers were limping into their bye week in the midst of a three-game losing streak, but came out of the bye looking refreshed and rejuvenated, embarking on an active five-game win streak.

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Continuing the Eaglejack, just heard that if they get the #2 seed, which they would by them and SF winning out, then Dallas would play in SF, thereby eliminating one of them, and then if Eagles win their home games, Dallas (if they beat SF) would play the NFCCG in Philadelphia.  So while they look like one of the worst teams in the NFL right now, there's still a chance that they can get right "enough" to end up in a good spot.

So in this scenario, you’d have the Cowboys beating the 49ers.  In San Francisco.  In the playoffs.  While coached by Mike McCarthy.   

Ummm …

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So in this scenario, you’d have the Cowboys beating the 49ers.  In San Francisco.  In the playoffs.  While coached by Mike McCarthy.   

Ummm …

I know, I know.  Unlikely, but still at least some possibility.  There's just something different about the Cowboys I saw last night vs the ones that are always good but then fall on their faces.   Dak may have me fooled - I hope so.

And let me rephrase my earlier statement.  Of course, #1 is always better than #2.  The bye week alone is probably worth at least as much as the home-field in the CG.  My point was simply that there's at least some silver lining if they fail and finish 2 (though at this point, it could very easily be 5, behind a sub-.500 team.)   But you'd always choose playing 2 games at home  vs playing 3 anywhere, regardless of opponents.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ummm …

Maybe this is just pessimism from a jaded sports fan, but I can absolutely see Dallas winning that game in the right circumstances. I think they'd come into that game pissed off knowing how the last two seasons ended, and how the Niners were the only team to make Dak look truly mortal this season. I still have confidence in the Niners against anybody, but no game in the NFL is ever a guarantee (besides Joe Namath), especially in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Discrim said:

This Tommy DeVito cat...name wise, a Houston Texan by that name would be weird.  A New York Giant by that name is so perfect it's ridiculous 😄

There should be a territorial-draft rule where every team gets a Guy With The Perfect Name. Giants, Tommy DeVito. Bears, Ed Zybikowski. Vikings, Lars Gunderson. Panthers, also Ed Zybikowski, but you get so much more house for your money there and don't have to worry as much about The Blacks.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Maybe this is just pessimism from a jaded sports fan, but I can absolutely see Dallas winning that game in the right circumstances. I think they'd come into that game pissed off knowing how the last two seasons ended, and how the Niners were the only team to make Dak look truly mortal this season. I still have confidence in the Niners against anybody, but no game in the NFL is ever a guarantee (besides Joe Namath), especially in the playoffs.

The Niners and (checks notes)... the Cardinals.

• LOL 1