2023-24 NBA Season thread

TrueYankee26

55 minutes ago, BBTV said:

He was responsible?  Didn't the taxpayers get stuck with half of the cost of the arena?  And donate all the land?

When he bought the team in the 80's, he saved the team from possible relocation and when he sold it in 2014, he wanted the new ownership group to assure that the Bucks stay.  He also paid $100 million for the current arena.  

28 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

He also paid $100 million for the current arena.  

Wow, that's mighty generous of him.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, BBTV said:

He was responsible?  Didn't the taxpayers get stuck with half of the cost of the arena?  And donate all the land?

Yes, but all that was under Marc Lasry's ownership and Scott Walker's governorship. Herb got the Bradley Center for free. His responsibility for the Bucks' recent success is that he could have sold the Bucks to Michael Jordan in the early 2000s, who probably would have moved the team, but ultimately chose not to. I think he kicked in some money toward the arena, but most of it came from taxpayers and from robbing the UW system.

What I remember about Kohl's time owning the Bucks is that it was kind of the worst of all possible worlds: he seemed to be too busy being a senator to do a good job running the team, but still found time to meddle poorly, and in doing so wasn't even a magnificently bombastic idiot like Vivek or Dolan or the Maloofs, he just quietly made them a lousy organization.* Part of the reason it was kinda neat to see the Bucks win the title is that they're Milwaukee's answer to the Blackhawks, a fanbase that was just beaten into non-existence, so they're kindred spirits to an extent.

*EDIT: Kohl was a classic Stern Guy, a mid-market owner who never got any big ideas or made any waves, see also, Bill Davidson, Larry Miller, Les Alexander, whoever owns the Spurs, contra selfish nuisances like Ted Turner, Jerry Buss, Jerry Reinsdorf, and later Mark Cuban. Lasry/Edens, however, are classic Silver Guys: more douchebags who run hedge funds. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

PISTONS WIN!

I kept seeing headlines saying they were tied for the longest losing streak for like the past three games. I don't know what was up with that, but I know by just looking it up that they are now tied for it. Weirdly expected them to end it against a winning team.

5 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I kept seeing headlines saying they were tied for the longest losing streak for like the past three games. I don't know what was up with that

Exactly, had been seeing that and that they had already set the record even before the game against Boston.

8 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I kept seeing headlines saying they were tied for the longest losing streak for like the past three games. I don't know what was up with that, but I know by just looking it up that they are now tied for it. Weirdly expected them to end it against a winning team.

2 hours ago, truepg said:

Exactly, had been seeing that and that they had already set the record even before the game against Boston.

26 games was the longest in-season losing streak of all-time (2010-'11 Cavs). 28 games was the longest losing streak altogether; the 2014-'15 76ers lost their last 10 games and then the '15-'16 team lost their first 18 games.

• Like 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

26 games was the longest in-season losing streak of all-time (2010-'11 Cavs). 28 games was the longest losing streak altogether; the 2014-'15 76ers lost their last 10 games and then the '15-'16 team lost their first 18 games.

Ok, I see. Well, the Sixers' is not the same thing.

12 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Good thing for them they didn't lose this game otherwise they would not have been tied anymore lol 29 losses in a row would be a record for the Big Four sports

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I mean, to be sure, the season was over before it started. But good gosh, what a way to go out. That's Adam's, Clarke, now Ja. This doesn't even count Smart or Rose. 

Doggone karma, boy...it'll getcha every time. (To be clear, I'm talking about the Memphis front office here...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"That's New York, that's Philly, Chicago isn't that way" - guess what douchebag - apparently it is.  And last I checked, Philly never booed a dead person's family.  That's low, but... that's considered "relentless booing"?  LOL.  It's an awful thing to do, but was was the booing that bad?  Sounds like slightly more cheers than boos.  "Unheard of levels of hatred"?  GTFO.

This is on whoever organized the event for not knowing better.  I've always thought that having someone's family represent them at award shows is kinda weird anyway, and probably shouldn't be done.  They go out there and wave, but nobody is cheering (or booing) for them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Expecting (the memory of) a guy like Krause - always a controversial and somewhat tactless figure with the Bulls, always eager to take credit, definitely not blameless in how the dynasty ended (depending on who you ask, he's primarily responsible) - to get a warm and cozy reception in Chicago, especially during a halftime of yet another :censored:ty Bulls season, seems like a bit of miscalculation by somebody.

Normally I wouldn't have an opinion, but the people who seem most up in arms about this are the usual jerkoffs who are always itchy to call others classless, love to tell everyone else to "do better", tend to say things like "as a Kings fan this sickens me" when someone gets arrested for assault, etc, so if anything I'm inclined to applaud the fans in attendance for not giving in to the "you can't boo this guy you didn't like, his family is here!" manipulation tactic.

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

"That's New York, that's Philly, Chicago isn't that way" - guess what douchebag - apparently it is.

That rubbed me the wrong way too. This is the same city where Steve Bartman had to go into hiding, White Sox fans attacked a first-base coach and an umpire in consecutive seasons, and Blackhawks fans chanted racist taunts at an opposing player. Even if Chicago had a spotless record of classy fandom until last night, it would still be a cringeworthy attempt at shifting blame to easy targets, but the fact that they didn't makes it ten times as gross.

I also have to roll my eyes at the media pretending this isn't at least 80% Jordan's fault so they can protect his phony image. Jordan was trashing this man since the day he became the GM because he didn't make all the roster moves MJ demanded, which were generally terrible ideas.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

9 hours ago, who do you think said:

I'm inclined to applaud the fans in attendance for not giving in to the "you can't boo this guy you didn't like, his family is here!" manipulation tactic.

But even though the punch was directed at him, his widow was the one that took the blow to the face.  I'm not going to get on my soapbox about it, because it may have happened elsewhere too and by no means is reflective of an entire city, but maybe they could have given the old lady a break.  Losing a spouse (or family member in general) is tough.  To have to face people calling your dead loved one a jerk is about as hard as it gets.  

But yeah - given the circumstances, they should have simply omitted him, and piss on that announcer for using it as an opportunity to bash other cities (where to my knowledge nothing like that has happened) which is clueless and beyond amateur.  

I don't know precisely when NBA fans all became St. Louis Cardinals fans but with essay-length thoughts on Kendrick Lamar, but what a negative development for the entire world.

Krause was a loathsome figure in Bulls history who needlessly antagonized everyone around him except for his close associates, who in turn were fiercely loyal to him. (Remember, Krause was a White Sox guy who basically transferred departments.) Everyone remembers hating The Jerrys through the '90s, and not just when Krause decided he would run Michael, Scottie, Phil and the rest out of town to build his own team his own way, from which the organization has not recovered to this day. And for those who somehow don't remember the golden years, ESPN ran this documentary that pulled an enormous audience and made Krause look like a tool all over again, despite Jerry Reinsdorf's best efforts to rehabilitate him.

Speaking of Reinsdorf, the state of the White Sox is the worst it's been in my entire life. It's early-2000s Hawks bad, right down to running the local-boy broadcaster out of town and being weirdly loyal to some decrepit white-haired drunk. The situation has devolved to the point where fans think the team is moving to Nashville or Charlotte or one of your other overgrown hick towns, and they don't entirely seem to mind. Oh, and the Bulls suck, too. All my homies hate Jerry Reinsdorf, as they should, and they hate him running up the score on everyone yet again, forcing an audience to applaud his friend and getting mad when they don't. This is not the moment for the organization to celebrate itself, its own way of doing business, and its disregard for everyone else. But part of being a billionaire is that you never have to read the room.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Krause got Grant and Pippen in the same draft when Jordan was demanding Joe Wolf,  made the Oakley for Cartwright trade and ignored Jordan's pouting about his best friend being traded away, plucked Kukoc out of Europe while Jordan was off playing baseball, traded Perdue for Rodman, etc. Yes, he was abrasive, yes, his post-dynasty strategy was a failure, but the dynasty itself was built by Krause making savvy moves and ignoring MJ's dumb demands (which is the real reason MJ always hated him). It's not his or his widow's fault that Reinsdorf is an abysmal owner who still hasn't built a winner since he resigned.

At some point, it's probably time to get over it and appreciate Krause for the six rings he helped bring in instead of getting mad that he didn't win a seventh, in a league where most teams haven't even won one in our lifetimes. Even if he ran it back for a few more years, that team probably wasn't winning any more rings anyway.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12