MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

21 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Modern flair I can get behind, but they should keep the Teal. The problem is that the shade of teal they generally use for their uniforms is too dark to contrast well with the navy.

Mariners.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=2382fba0f63c

If they can consistently match the teal across the board to a shade similar to the alternate here, then that should solve the contrast problem. Seattle can definately create something new and modern while keeping the navy and teal, get those colours right and it's a fantastic scheme.

In regards to the Mariners, as I've certainly mentioned before, navy & teal is probably my single favorite color scheme in all of sports, so I wouldn't want to see it go. I think that photo shows how gorgeous the shade can be, as does pretty much any other photo of the teal jersey. 

The problem is that they don't use the shade nearly enough across the rest of their set. As @SFGiants58 has suggested, they really need to go the Orioles' route as far as color distrubtion: teal wordmarks with navy outlines. While we agree that the font has become a bit dated, I do think an update using the ITC Serif Gothic font can work, as I tried in my most recent MLB series

As part of promoting teal more, they also ought to use the teal-brim cap full-time, if not a teal alternate cap. The M's have no reason for an all-navy cap. 

• Like 7

There's something deeply unpleasant and clash-y I find about the Mariners' teal and standard-issue away jersey grey. I don't feel that way about the silver accents in their logo package, especially when the silver is shiny. But saturated, bright colors pop in an uneasy way when mixed with grey, for me. Maybe in this brave Nike retro-future of teams not needing a grey jersey, that will be a solvable problem, though maybe it'll cause new ones too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MJD7 said:

In regards to the Mariners, as I've certainly mentioned before, navy & teal is probably my single favorite color scheme in all of sports, so I wouldn't want to see it go. I think that photo shows how gorgeous the shade can be, as does pretty much any other photo of the teal jersey. 

The problem is that they don't use the shade nearly enough across the rest of their set. As @SFGiants58 has suggested, they really need to go the Orioles' route as far as color distrubtion: teal wordmarks with navy outlines. While we agree that the font has become a bit dated, I do think an update using the ITC Serif Gothic font can work, as I tried in my most recent MLB series

As part of promoting teal more, they also ought to use the teal-brim cap full-time, if not a teal alternate cap. The M's have no reason for an all-navy cap. 

I like your Mariners concepts. I'd keep the current block numbers...and the teal jersey IMO needs a white outline on the letters and numbers.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, M59 said:

Sorry, I just fell asleep for a moment. The Yankee$ have finally gotten what their fans have wanted for a while now: the most boring road kit in MLB. Congratulations. I'm sure the $ you saved on no longer paying for white outlines will be well spent. 

Cu54JQHUkAAaxd6.jpg:large

• LOL 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Birdland Caravan events get going on this weekend in Baltimore, so this is the first look post-Nike at the players in their new jerseys.

First pic is an awkward one give, but up close enough to see the the new sleeve cuffs on Mountcastle. The trims look almost like the old jerseys had their sleeves folded up a bit if you ask me. Second pic is a decent look of the authentics on the players (left) compared to the three guys wearing the Nike/Majestic era replicas.

Gonna take some getting used to if I even start to consider buying this jersey in the future.

C6xllz2.jpg

GEsafbbXIAAVa_U?format=jpg&name=large

• Hurl 1
  • Dislike 2

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

52 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

It's great that they "cleaned up" the Yankees jersey ..... without the messy white outline, the Starr Insurance patch will really pop! 😍 🤩

No more distractions!

Name checks out.

• Like 9

Looks like the Marlins will be updating the legibility on their dark uniforms (probably just filling in the wordmark white) and seem to be bringing out a Miami blue jersey with a Marlins word mark. Much needed, details will be revealed tomorrow at Fan Fest.

• Like 11
  • Love 6
  • Applause 7

2 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

Birdland Caravan going on this weekend in Baltimore, so this is the first look post-Nike at the players in their new jerseys.

This pic ain't the prettiest find, but honestly, those cuffs make it look like taking the old jersey and folding the sleeves up a bit.

Gonna take some getting used to if I even start to consider buying this jersey in the future.

C6xllz2.jpg

Shockingly enough, they didn't split the middle "o"...although there is enough space between it and the "i" to drive a truck through. And we have the answer to my other question: the front numbers are now just smaller versions of the back numbers. The distinctive front number font previously used by the Orioles is now gone. Oh, well, at least they now have holes in them.  I'm so glad the Nike designers didn't phone this stuff in or anything. 🤮 
See this auction for a comparison.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Looks like the Marlins will be updating the legibility on their dark uniforms (probably just filling in the wordmark white) and seem to be bringing out a Miami blue jersey with a Marlins word mark. Much needed, details will be revealed tomorrow at Fan Fest.

😍😍😍😍😍 FINALLY!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'm glad they are updating the uniform font to stick out, would be wonderful to see, but are they gonna update the hats to match? If they don't, they are gonna stick out like a sore thumb

• Like 2

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Marlins change look super promising and a big step in the right direction. I’d probably prefer a blue script on the black jersey, though.

Yea I would have liked a  blue script better too, I would have even left the wordmark black but add a white outline because it would still keep with the motif they were aiming for, but either way it looks like we'll be getting improvements so this is nice. 

1 hour ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

I'm glad they are updating the uniform font to stick out, would be wonderful to see, but are they gonna update the hats to match? If they don't, they are gonna stick out like a sore thumb

Players today wore the same caps for their media day but that just means the home cap and jersey combo isn't changing. It's possible there's alternate caps but I doubt it myself. The caps never bothered me like the jerseys. I think the caps are visible enough and there's other teams with cap logos that are the same color as the crown and I don't think they look bad. 

The black jersey was a bigger issue because you literally couldn't read them on TV or from any distance.

Again, we'll know tomorrow evening. 

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The blue jersey is long overdue for the Marlins. That immediately becomes the best jersey in their set by a landslide.

I’m honestly not that big on the black jersey, though. it’s probably an upgrade by default because it’ll actually be readable, but I liked what they were going for with the neon aesthetic, they just unfortunately didn’t execute it well.

This would've been a great time to subtly transition to pink in place of caliente red.

• Like 11

It will be nice to see the blue jersey redesigned as such. It's basically the adjustment that several of us here have been clamoring for. The first ST/BP jersey looked pretty rough with just that hideous logo slapped on the breast.

While I appreciate the effort to improve upon the legibility of the black alternate, in the end it's still a mostly "black and white" set (with some slight accents), almost like the black alternate they wore from 2012 through 2018.

The black one is a tiny upgrade, the blue a substantial upgrade, but I'm still not enthusiastic about this branding at all. I'd give anything to have it mothballed completely.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Players today wore the same caps for their media day but that just means the home cap and jersey combo isn't changing. It's possible there's alternate caps but I doubt it myself. The caps never bothered me like the jerseys. I think the caps are visible enough and there's other teams with cap logos that are the same color as the crown and I don't think they look bad. 

The black jersey was a bigger issue because you literally couldn't read them on TV or from any distance.

Again, we'll know tomorrow evening. 

The hat is legible, I'd say. At least more so than the black jersey. It just has too little color to "pop" in the way that it should. I'd be shocked but pleasantly surprised if they unveiled new hats. I'm getting the impression they're just fixing the egregious design flaws with these two jerseys as they transition to the new templates. Could explain why it's being done this offseason, in particular. 

On 1/23/2024 at 10:43 AM, LMU said:

Dropping unnecessary outlines and trim on road gray jerseys is always a positive.  See: Dodgers.

JMLBGAGNE-2.jpg?v-cache=1654685683

1342345440.jpg

Apples and orange. Yankees didn't use a double outline and don't have a vibrant blue. Same with the Tigers, the orange can do the job which makes the white redundant. Don't feel the same applies for the Yankees.

In modern gray, I think the stripes worked better. The classic look was lovely on the flannel gray. But I guess I'd land at "lateral move."

• Like 2
  • Love 1