MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

5 hours ago, Yac12 said:

Watching the Cubs opening Spring Training game and this year the walking cub patch is not on the same sleeve for every player. Usually a sign an ad patch is coming. 

The Twins Minnesota state outline sleeve patch was always on the left sleeve last year, it being on Buxton's right sleeve means an ad is likely coming for them too, unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

Braves belt loops are keeping the piping after all. I have to wonder if the team had to get Nike to add it because the road pants still don't have it.

They look kinda weird on Nike’s new template but definitely better than the pants we’ve seen in spring training! At least they still look like the classic Braves with the only major change being the sleeve stripes pushed down to the cuff. Hopefully they will update the road pants. It seems bizarre, though, because the gray pants they’ve been wearing in ST are Nike’s new template and have the same piping, so you’d think they’d pair with the road jersey, but they do not have the belt loop piping. Surely that will be fixed seeing as the white and gray uniforms are identical save for the script.

This next bit is me nitpicking but it bothers my OCD. The change to their blue jersey with red piping makes sense in my head because now the jersey piping matches the pants piping. Basically a red stripe flanked by blue. The home jersey cuff uses a triple stripe of navy/red/navy. Why doesn’t the blue jersey also use a triple stripe with the red centered within the cuff? Instead, Nike uses a half and half cuff (half red, half blue), and it makes the red stripe much thicker and doesn’t match the thickness of the placket piping. I have noticed this same issue with a few other clubs. I have not seen the Braves red jersey, but I’m assuming it’ll be the opposite of the blue jersey, just flipping colors and the script.

spacer.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, dont care said:

Yea rather than just regular tackle twill it does appear thinner almost just like what the rest of the jersey material is made out of. 

Just to save everyone some scrolling...

Screenshot-2024-02-19-at-7.44.55-PM-1024

And yeah, that looks like some Walmart beer-league twill if ever there were some...

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Twins Minnesota state outline sleeve patch was always on the left sleeve last year, it being on Buxton's right sleeve means an ad is likely coming for them too, unfortunately. 

Well, the alternate hypothesis would state that no relationship exists between the placement of the state patch on one sleeve and the probability of an impending ad patch to be placed on the opposite sleeve. 

But this ain't quantitative analysis, so we won't need chi-square, the t-test, or any critical values to test this hypothesis. Nope, just good ol' fashioned eyeballs...

65d8115f27fc6.image.jpg?resize=333,500

65d8057577143.image.jpg?resize=333,500

65d8177417fe7.image.jpg?resize=333,500

So yes, a relationship definitely exists between the placement of the state patch on one sleeve and the probability of an impending ad to be placed on the opposite sleeve. Therefore, we can successfully reject the alternate hypothesis that no relationship exists between the two variables at a 1.00 significance level.

(In other words, an ad patch is definitely coming...)

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

20 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Did you all see the article by Mark Feinsand on MLB.com like two days ago with Nike explaining the long process of creating the new uniforms and how much work went into them and how much time and research it took and how much they consulted with players and highlighting all the positives of the new designs, etc etc?

It was informative but the timing absolutely made it feel like a defensive tactic with A LOT of jabs with things like saying that the players and the union were involved in the process and nobody complained until now and a lot of stuff like that.

It was very much like a retaliation, like when a scandal breaks out and someone or an organization has to release a statement pleading their case.

looks like big companies will never say they are sorry or admit to making a mistake.....  a bit like the Bud Light situation, instead of saying "okay, we made a mistake, this campaign did not sit well with our customers, so lets move on.

No, they double down and go on the attack..... or make insane over the top patriotic commercials, that just come off as fake and trying to hard.

business 101, never attack your own customers/clients!

Can't imagine the MLBPA is happy with Nike right now!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cujo said:

Watching live action spring training -- the larger numbers/smaller names make the players look fatter.

Do any of them look like Hack Wilson or Babe Ruth or Bartolo Colon yet? If not, let’s just keep going. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

(In other words, an ad patch is definitely coming...)

This actually proved false last year, but I can't for the love of me remember the exact examples.  I watched carefully through every team's patches because I gotta show something in the Wikipedia uniform images.  I decided to go with every example being right-handed, and so for teams with switching patches the patches showed on the left sleeve, but there were a number of teams who did not switch patches.  I know Minnesota and Kansas City were two , and indeed did not get an ad patch last year.

But I do know for sure there was at least one team who switched patches without getting an ad... or had fixed patches but then got an ad.  Unfortunately, my memory is failing me.  I do know for sure that Philly ditched their sleeve numbers to seemingly make way but never did.

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, FrutigerAero said:

I thought it was just uniform nerds not liking the new uniforms, but this is making it to Wall Street Journal's front page...  The names were one thing, the see-through stuff is just embarrassing.

Even the regular morning shows are talking about it, Preston & Steve here in Philly were discussing it.

This is baddd,

6 hours ago, tBBP said:

Just to save everyone some scrolling...

Screenshot-2024-02-19-at-7.44.55-PM-1024

Thanks for that. I no longer have a photobucket account, and have yet to figure out how to "insert image from URL". At least my placket is the right width. 😆

• Like 2

Just checked on some video from today's Orioles ST opener. It certainly appears that their front numbers are now just smaller versions of the back numbers. WTF that point of THAT is...I have no idea whatsoever. Did it perhaps make the jersey 0.0000000001% lighter and the players commensurately faster? I'm sure Nike will tell us that's the reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

This actually proved false last year, but I can't for the love of me remember the exact examples.  I watched carefully through every team's patches because I gotta show something in the Wikipedia uniform images.  I decided to go with every example being right-handed, and so for teams with switching patches the patches showed on the left sleeve, but there were a number of teams who did not switch patches.  I know Minnesota and Kansas City were two , and indeed did not get an ad patch last year.

But I do know for sure there was at least one team who switched patches without getting an ad... or had fixed patches but then got an ad.  Unfortunately, my memory is failing me.  I do know for sure that Philly ditched their sleeve numbers to seemingly make way but never did.

Teams are PREPARING for ads. The preparation isn't connected to their ad sales team finding an acceptable deal. But you have to prepare so that you can introduce the ad patch when you find an acceptable deal.

not going to lie, even with all the pearl clutching about the nike template, i kinda figured it wouldn’t matter once i turned on the tv. of course us uni nerds would care, but i figured the jerseys would be close enough that most people would just forget about it. 

watched the mets today and my goodness these jerseys look like absolute dog💩. it’s abysmal.  i don’t understand how they figured these player names would be okay. 

• Like 2

sig2024.png

13 hours ago, Brian E said:

not going to lie, even with all the pearl clutching about the nike template, i kinda figured it wouldn’t matter once i turned on the tv. of course us uni nerds would care, but i figured the jerseys would be close enough that most people would just forget about it. 

watched the mets today and my goodness these jerseys look like absolute dog💩. it’s abysmal.  i don’t understand how they figured these player names would be okay. 

"But...they worked fine on the NBA uniforms we designed before we moved over to the MLB team! Why is everybody being so cranky?!?" 🤑

• Like 1

This article claims that it was MLB, not Nike nor Fanatics, that led the decision to move the batterman logo down. The reason? Greater visibility.

https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-insider-reveals-one-of-biggest-new-uniform-issues-is-entirely-league-s-fault-01hqenb3mb92

"[The batterman] was brought down. And because it was brought down the names have been brought down, and because the names have been brought down the brand also has been brought down of the team. And that's a decision that really wasn't made by Nike or the players or the teams. It was made by Major League Baseball. And that's the part that we have to understand, look, you want to get that brand out there, you want to be able to showcase it, you want it a little bit bigger, these are the sacrifices that are having, that have to be made."

The quote is from Eduardo Perez from the Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney podcast.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, titans1127 said:

If thats their reasoning, why wasn't it done 20+ years ago?

Fewer players with longer hair obscuring the logo then compared to now?

I kind of assumed this was an MLB move for that reason all along.

It's where I sit.