MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

Ok so I'm trying to figure this one out.  I thought all name-on-back font got smaller? If so then explain why the Royals don't seem to have this problem.  I first thought "old stock", but that MLB batterman is lower.

• Like 4

The new jersey controversy makes it to Baltimore Baseball.com
"What’s what? Many players have spoken, not for attribution, about how disappointed they are with the new uniforms this season. I’m generally neutral on the uniforms, but I really don’t like how small the lettering for the names on the jersey’s back is."

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2024/02/26/orioles-beat-pirates-2-0-2nd-straight-win-irvin-retires-6-batters/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=orioles-beat-pirates-2-0-2nd-straight-win-irvin-retires-6-batters&utm_source=BaltimoreBaseball.com+List&utm_campaign=15e8c74bd8-RSS_MAILCHIMP&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cddc084dff-15e8c74bd8-228940032&mc_cid=15e8c74bd8&mc_eid=37352608ed

I know this is my particular dead horse to beat, but I'm still really annoyed at the change in the Orioles' front numbers. What was the point? I thought all the custom number fonts MLB now rolls out with every new jersey was to foil the counterfeiters. Why then switch a team to the same front number font the counterfeiters have been using? Like most of the changes in this "chassis", it doesn't make sense.

I haven't checked on the Cardinals or White Sox yet to see if this foolishness has spread to them as well, but I suspect it has. SMDH. 

• Like 2

Just now, floydnimrod said:

I know there's a lot wrong with the new jerseys and we're all enjoying the pile on, but is it possible that last names were way too damn big to begin with?

Definitely possible. 

There's something to be said for being able to ignore the presence of a player name on the back of a baseball jersey, just as we ignore the team name on the front of an NFL jersey.  The whole Nike/Fanatics thing is still a mess; but the smaller names are not in themselves a bad thing.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, floydnimrod said:

I know there's a lot wrong with the new jerseys and we're all enjoying the pile on, but is it possible that last names were way too damn big to begin with?

I think the smaller letters are made more noticeable because they also lowered the numbers to accommodate the extremely tight arc radius. So players with shorter names have a vast open space that looks comical. If they had kept the previous arc and number placement, the smaller letters might work.

• Like 7

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I think the smaller letters are made more noticeable because they also lowered the numbers to accommodate the extremely tight arc radius. So players with shorter names have a vast open space that looks comical. If they had kept the previous arc and number placement, the smaller letters might work.

This is what I was thinking. Also, if the letters had been kept "taller" instead of shorter. More condensed letters coupled with the less severe arc would look much better. It's how the Cardinals have done it for years. Look at Goldschmidt's. He has a fairly long name, but unlike other teams and the new Nike template where the letters are spaced more with a more severe arc, his name didn't go down and around the numbers while keeping the same individual letter size as everybody else on the team.

Cardinals' Paul Goldschmidt beats Marlins with walk-off home run - UPI.com

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Oh the new letters are definitely look worse (still can't wrap my head around why the Verlander letters look so big still).

But I don't think they need to be as big as they used to be. I know we all fear change but holy :censored: they looked awful last year too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floydnimrod said:

There’s probably a middle ground that would work. Some of the names look fine on the new uniforms, while others look too small (Phillies).

Something like this is much too big, though.

spacer.png

Rangers are another good example. I wouldn’t say the font is too tall, but the drop shadow and spiked letters make each character too wide. There’s no reason for a 6 letter name like Seager to go the width of the back.

spacer.png

It’s a case by case basis.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Definitely possible. 

There's something to be said for being able to ignore the presence of a player name on the back of a baseball jersey, just as we ignore the team name on the front of an NFL jersey.  The whole Nike/Fanatics thing is still a mess; but the smaller names are not in themselves a bad thing.

A very John Oliver take  👎

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

Was anyone complaining that they were too big before? I certainly don't remember it.

The smaller names make the uniforms look like how they'd be rendered in an old video game.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

7 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

I can recall some chatter about the Rays' NOB font being unnecessarily large, otherwise, no. 

4 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Something like this is much too big, though.

spacer.png

When the Orioles were still doing 3-color script, numbers and NOB on the black jerseys, they used this size NOB, but maintained the smaller size on their home and road (2-color) jerseys, IIRC, it gets difficult to do 3-color NOB in the smaller size.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:36 PM, NickSixers said:

Teams are PREPARING for ads. The preparation isn't connected to their ad sales team finding an acceptable deal. But you have to prepare so that you can introduce the ad patch when you find an acceptable deal.

I'm sure all teams are looking.  But whether patches are switching sides or not means nothing in terms of whether ads are immediately coming, as last year proved.

I have to say, watching two teams that didn't have names on their back under the sun yesterday, the change really didn't seem noticeable.  The collar cut is obvious, but I mean the drop in quality/transparency.  Dunno if we made out due to our design practices or it was just looking from a distance during the day.  I wonder if there's any chance someone inside thought the old roads would look stupid with the new sleeve design and that was behind the update.

The Twins navy today looks all right except for that stupid arching of the name.  Santana's name has plenty of room to fit with a less dramatic curve.  But red lettering on navy is hard to read in any manner of shade on a good day.

spacer.png

spacer.png

What I am confused about this whole thing is don't teams have their own seamstresses that apply names and numbers to jerseys? Am I just making this up? Or were these seamstresses just given these garbage numbers/patches? I wonder what last years numbers and fonts would look like on this current template. I also find it funny how colleges look better than the MLB now.spacer.png

16 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Was anyone complaining that they were too big before? I certainly don't remember it.

The smaller names make the uniforms look like how they'd be rendered in an old video game.

People weren't complaining about because it wasn't part of a larger problem and there wasn't momentum in people having to say something about to keep up. I'm not sure I really noticed it either until now. Given the choice between these and last year's, I'd 100% choose last year's name size. But it made me realize that those weren't all that great either. I don't need to see the leftfielder's name from an airplane. I know we've been shown these two options, and this is likely the only two we have, but sometimes a third option of something in-between is best (I promise this is not a metaphor for anything else). If we had something smaller for our entire lives then they switched to the large names, we'd be losing our damn minds, too. We like it because it's what we're used to and there's no fault in that.

• LOL 1

On 2/26/2024 at 8:31 AM, TBGKon said:

Ok so I'm trying to figure this one out.  I thought all name-on-back font got smaller? If so then explain why the Royals don't seem to have this problem.  I first thought "old stock", but that MLB batterman is lower.

• Like 9

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."