MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

3 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

Twins don't need a CC when they have these beauts. Whatever Nike has cooked up, just scrap it and wear this instead of the monstrosity that awaits usspacer.png

These are actually my least favorite of the whole new set. I really wished they would have used red in this jersey, because otherwise the Twin Cities script and off white is nice. It just literally doesn’t look like the Twins without the red. 

I mean like the normal new TC, with an off-white T, and red trim? Maybe a red front number and this would have been a better jersey for me anyways. 

For the city connect, I’m gonna guess it’ll be a double blue, Land of 10,000 lakes connection. At least that’s my hope 😁

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

It really helps both colors pop so well in my view, and sets them apart from all of the other red & navy teams, most of which use red letters with a navy outline. 

No one was mixing up the huge Twins script with the bubble letters of Cleveland, the olde letters of the Red Sox, the halos and serifs of the Angels, not to mention the accessories of the Braves and Cards.  And that's just the script, with each uniform set having a heap of differences.

Funnily enough, the uniforms that actually are most said to look similar have different color schemes (Navy/White and Black/Silver/White).

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I'm almost certain the swoosh is red, it looks to just be a weird lighting thing to me. 

That would be supremely disappointing.  The touch was one of my favorite parts of the 

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I don't see yellow at all.

I don't know how that's physically possible.  Whether or not it's present physically or a trick of light is one thing, but that's definitely the color yellow in the photo.  Eyedropping has proven it's not an illusion created by surrounding colors, but definitely shades of yellow/gold.

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

What makes that "good" then, if you don't mind me asking? I personally don't like that particular CC at all, but "The Lou" is kind of the only added design element there aside from the stripes. So if you take that out of the equation, why not just opt out of the CC program altogether and wear their normal uniforms?

It looks like a Cardinals jersey.  That alone is enough for it to be way better than most CCs, although it's definitely inferior to all of their four regular jerseys.  "Good" is relative to other City Connects, not MLB uniforms as a whole.

• Like 6

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

9 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

These are actually my least favorite of the whole new set. I really wished they would have used red in this jersey, because otherwise the Twin Cities script and off white is nice. It just literally doesn’t look like the Twins without the red. 

I mean like the normal new TC, with an off-white T, and red trim? Maybe a red front number and this would have been a better jersey for me anyways. 

For the city connect, I’m gonna guess it’ll be a double blue, Land of 10,000 lakes connection. At least that’s my hope 😁

I agree 100%. Especially when the Tigers are in the division and already use a navy only color scheme for their home jerseys.

On 5/17/2024 at 12:40 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Do people from the DMV area not realize that most of the rest of us think of the Department of Motor Vehicles when we see DMV?

I know I'm late on this, but I'm playing catch up.

I can't speak for DC or Virginia, but the Maryland agency is the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), so Marylanders don't always think Department of Motor Vehicles when they see DMV.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

No one was mixing up the huge Twins script with the bubble letters of Cleveland, the olde letters of the Red Sox, the halos and serifs of the Angels, not to mention the accessories of the Braves and Cards.  And that's just the script, with each uniform set having a heap of differences.

I’m not saying they ever necessarily got mixed up, as the Metrodome-era pinstripes set was unique in its own right, since they were the only red & navy team to use pinstripes, if I’m not mistaken.

I’m just not a big fan of pinstripes for the Twins, simply based on personal preference.

I’ve also just grown to really like the no-outlines look aesthetically, & it’s an added bonus that it’s an entirely unique brand element among the red & navy teams.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I know I'm late on this, but I'm playing catch up.

I can't speak for DC or Virginia, but the Maryland agency is the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), so Marylanders don't always think Department of Motor Vehicles when they see DMV.

It actually seems like the ultimate 'city connect', in that one area uses that acronym for something that is seemingly totally different from everyone else 🙂

• LOL 2

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:  It just literally doesn’t look like the Twins without the red. 

Imo,it seems to be a nod to our Washington era. I like it, the cream and Navy just feel so pre-WWII baseball. Obvi now that the nats are around we don't lean into when we were the sens, so having this as a faux-back seems a great way to have an old-timey uniform that gives a different look.          love it    

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I’m not saying they ever necessarily got mixed up, as the Metrodome-era pinstripes set was unique in its own right, as they were the only red & navy team to use pinstripes, if I’m not mistaken.

I’m just not a big fan of pinstripes for the Twins, simply based on personal preference.

I just really like the no-outlines look aesthetically, & it’s an added bonus that it’s also an entirely unique brand element among the red & navy teams.

It just drives me crazy how much people talk about those three colors like any of the teams using them would look anything alike in a home v. away matchup.  (There have been times when the Twins and Nats looked nigh identical in road gray).

I'd said at the time that the lack of an outline didn't seem very Twinsy considering it was an aspect that existed since 1961 and got laughed out of the thread.  I'm glad Kg agrees with me.  While the set rocks in a lot of ways and I've mostly gotten used to it, the wordmark feels like the Twins went Web 2.0, which is a thing I've heard a lot of people use in similar contexts, so I'm hoping I'm using it halfway correctly.  🤣

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

spacer.png

Possibly, but the current Minnesota flag is only a few months old. I’m sure the Twins City Connect uniform was developed at least a year or so ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It just drives me crazy how much people talk about those three colors like any of the teams using them would look anything alike in a home v. away matchup.  (There have been times when the Twins and Nats looked nigh identical in road gray).

I'd said at the time that the lack of an outline didn't seem very Twinsy considering it was an aspect that existed since 1961 and got laughed out of the thread.  I'm glad Kg agrees with me.  While the set rocks in a lot of ways and I've mostly gotten used to it, the wordmark feels like the Twins went Web 2.0, which is a thing I've heard a lot of people use in similar contexts, so I'm hoping I'm using it halfway correctly.  🤣

I think that’s where we’ll inevitably disagree, my thinking is that, just because something (outlines, which nearly every team has anyway) has been around since the beginning, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good (in my eyes) or always needs to continue. 

The Twins had never really had an “iconic” uniform set. The ‘87 pinstripes came close, but those uniforms are inextricably tied to the Metrodome in my eyes, and looked really odd & out of place in the outdoor setting of Target Field, for some reason. The inaugural ‘60s set was pretty good, too, but would definitely need an update for the modern day. My personal favorite Twins set prior to the current one was the ‘70s - early ‘80s pullover set, with the powder blue roads, even though that was the era of least success for the team. 

One thing I love about the current set is that it combines aspects of all 3 of those eras: the big wordmark & road pinstripes of the ‘90s, the stripes & tri-color helmets of the ‘70s & ‘80s, and the cream & navy of the ‘60s with the home alternate. The one modernization they made was the removal of outlines, which even then is based on the TC & in my view just streamlines the whole thing and gives it that modern & unique touch it needs.

5 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I felt the same way when they were unveiled, that they could have used a touch of red. Since then though, the navy-only look has really grown on me, to where I’m glad they went that route. I think the simple navy & cream looks so good. I think adding any red would make it too similar to the primary home, & thus redundant. 

It’s still my least favorite of the set, but that’s only because I love the other three jerseys so much.

I agree about the City Connect, as I’ve stated before, I think they’re going to use the opportunity to bring back the baby blue uniform that was lost in the rebrand. Whether the secondary colors are Twins’ navy & red, or maybe a more “Minnesota” color scheme of greens & blues, I’m not sure. We’ll have to wait & see I suppose.

4 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Possibly, but the current Minnesota flag is only a few months old. I’m sure the Twins City Connect uniform was developed at least a year or so ago.

Yeah, there were even a couple articles at the time of the rebrand that stated the Twins would reveal their City uniform summer of 2023, even though they wouldn’t wear them until 2024. That always sounded weird to me, & didn’t line up with other team’s reveal schedules, so I didn’t believe it. Still, it goes to show that it is a long process, so I don’t imagine there will be any state flag imagery, unless it was a late addition that already fit with the pre-existing design direction.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I think that’s where we’ll inevitably disagree, my thinking is that, just because something (outlines, which nearly every team has anyway) has been around since the beginning, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good (in my eyes) or always needs to continue. 

The Twins have essentially had four major looks if you don't consider the last set as just a pinstripeless upgrade of the originals.  And the centerpiece of every one was the large TWINS in red and navy.

I've spoken about how much I prefer the Bronx Zoo away grays for the Yankees.  But the trimless version has its roots in history.  The Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Guardians, and Tigers have gone back and forth between outlines and no outlines.  If any of those teams dropped outlines from their uniforms that have them, I may have a feeling about how I agree or disagree with the move over matters of aesthetics.

Then there's teams like the Orioles, the Giants, the Pirates, and the Mets who have for the length of their history shown off their two colors with a wordmark and its outline barring a couple seasons possibly.  And if one of those teams dropped their outline, it would look equally naked and not in fitting with their identity.

It's not a matter of just "It's always been that way, so let it stay that way.", which I'm ironically arguing against at the moment in a Disney forum.  It's a matter of team identity.  The TWINS wordmark had been the logo for 25 years.  The outline change, which is accentuated by the thinning of the letters themselves makes it feel a little too empty for me and the end result doesn't feel Twinsy.

5 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

The Twins had never really had an “iconic” uniform set. The ‘87 pinstripes came close, but those uniforms are inextricably tied to the Metrodome in my eyes, and looked really odd & out of place in the outdoor setting of Target Field, for some reason. The inaugural ‘60s set was pretty good, too, but would definitely need an update for the modern day. My personal favorite Twins set prior to the current one was the ‘70s - early ‘80s pullover set, with the powder blue roads, even though that was the era of least success for the team. 

One thing I love about the current set is that it combines aspects of all 3 of those eras: the big wordmark & road pinstripes of the ‘90s, the stripes & tri-color helmets of the ‘70s & ‘80s, and the cream & navy of the ‘60s with the home alternate. The one modernization they made was the removal of outlines, which even then goes off of the TC & in my view just streamlines the whole thing and gives it that modern & unique touch it needs.

I actually think the Killebrews, the Carews, and the Pucketts are all iconic looks.  I agree that the mixture of the three is a great way to go.  I think the new set is beautiful.  The home wordmark just feels like a misstep.

Meanwhile, I'm actually not futzed about the change on the other three uniforms, with the MINNESOTA wordmark has been much less consistent in history, feels more like a brand new invention, and is thicker and tighter so there's not too much negative space.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The Twins have essentially had four major looks if you don't consider the last set as just a pinstripeless upgrade of the originals.  And the centerpiece of every one was the large TWINS in red and navy.

It's not a matter of just "It's always been that way, so let it stay that way.", which I'm ironically arguing against at the moment in a Disney forum.  It's a matter of team identity.  The TWINS wordmark had been the logo for 25 years.  The outline change, which is accentuated by the thinning of the letters themselves makes it feel a little too empty for me and the end result doesn't feel Twinsy.

I actually think the Killebrews, the Carews, and the Pucketts are all iconic looks.  I agree that the mixture of the three is a great way to go.  I think the new set is beautiful.  The home wordmark just feels like a misstep.

Meanwhile, I'm actually not futzed about the change on the other three uniforms, with the MINNESOTA wordmark has been much less consistent in history, feels more like a brand new invention, and is thicker and tighter so there's not too much negative space.

I understand more of what you’re saying now, that your main issue is with the home script. I get that, I’ve mentioned here before (it might’ve even been while discussing with you) that the script can look kind of thin in action sometimes. I noticed that early on, but it hasn’t bothered me as much lately. I think the script looks especially beautiful in digital applications.

I tried adding an outline myself to the script after the rebrand, and it just didn’t work at all, in all honesty.

(As an aside, it’s also worth a reminder that that script almost certainly stemmed from @SFGiants58’s Twins concepts, since we saw his version appear in social media graphics around 2019-2020, seemingly hinting at the eventual rebrand. So, thanks for getting the ball rolling on my favorite Twins brand ever!)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I have a feeling Nike is going to go out with a bang since Minnesota is the last to be unveiled. 

- Minny and Pauly riding jet skis on a lake

-MSP across the chest in some dumb font 

- A loon flying above

- Horizontal stripes that look like waves on the lake

- Obviously black and dark blue colors

- Mosquito's playing hockey for shoulder patches. 

#nailedit

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

46 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I understand more of what you’re saying now, that your main issue is with the home script. I get that, I’ve mentioned here before (it might’ve even been while discussing with you) that the script can look kind of thin in action sometimes. I noticed that early on, but it hasn’t bothered me as much lately. I think the script looks especially beautiful in digital applications.

I tried adding an outline myself to the script after the rebrand, and it just didn’t work at all, in all honesty.

Yeah.  The wall of text was mostly from a place of trying to explain the nuance of the feeling beyond just change being bad.  I said when it happened and when I originally said it didn't feel like the Twins that with time I'd probably just get used to it.  It's been a year and it hasn't hit yet.  I honestly forget about the change in our away grays most of the time despite actively disliking the change.  But the front of the Twins uni still hasn't clicked yet for me.  Eh, I'll continue to wait and see.  Time and success are 90% of what makes a look iconic and they're on their way with the latter.

29 minutes ago, rwaters1221 said:

-MSP across the chest in some dumb font 

Oh...  Oh...  Of course...  I just realized what it's going to be like some sort of horrible prophetic vision.  It's going to be a two-tone split jersey.  Minneapolis on one side and St. Paul on the other.  Perhaps Minnie and Paul are even the length of the front, but that's too fun to be a real City Connect.  I also would imagine half navy and half red, but team colors aren't allowed.  So maybe half black and half powder blue.  And no purple because that's what everyone wants.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Oh...  Oh...  Of course...  I just realized what it's going to be like some sort of horrible prophetic vision.  It's going to be a two-tone split jersey.  Minneapolis on one side and St. Paul on the other.  Perhaps Minnie and Paul are even the length of the front, but that's too fun to be a real City Connect.  I also would imagine half navy and half red, but team colors aren't allowed.  So maybe half black and half powder blue.  And no purple because that's what everyone wants.

🫣

P7MhKG3.png
A concept I had from some years ago

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

.The outline change, which is accentuated by the thinning of the letters themselves makes it feel a little too empty for me and the end result doesn't feel Twinsy.

This is exactly how I feel. Thanks for putting it into words more eloquently than I could!

The home wordmark is really my only real complaint. As @MJD7 mentioned, I also tried a mockup with a small outline and something felt a little weird about that too. 

If there were to be an outline, the script would have to be reworked. Luckily for people like me, I can just buy an older jersey and be content.

• Like 2