MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

Updated list of things that showed up regular by the end of last season but haven't popped up yet:

Angels City Connect

Cubs City Connect

Milwaukee Pinstripe and City Connect

St. Louis Cream and Powder Blue

Atlanta Navy (although it was worn as Spring Training)

Mets Black

Washington Pullover

San Francisco City Connect

Also, the White Sox just randomly broke out their City Connect.  Any locals know if there was a reason for this?

Also also, the Dodgers seem to have worn the LA grays every away game since they gained possession of them.  No idea what they're doing at this point.  Last year it seemed only for games in Oracle and PETCO.

• Like 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Updated list of things that showed up regular by the end of last season but haven't popped up yet:

Angels City Connect

Cubs City Connect

Milwaukee Pinstripe and City Connect

St. Louis Cream and Powder Blue

Atlanta Navy (although it was worn as Spring Training)

Washington Pullover

San Francisco City Connect

Also, the White Sox just randomly broke out their City Connect.  Any locals know if there was a reason for this?

Also also, the Dodgers seem to have worn the LA grays every away game since they gained possession of them.  No idea what they're doing at this point.  Last year it seemed only for games in Oracle and PETCO.

Don't forget these:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, SportsFan12 said:

Don't forget these:

Oh!  Yeah!  I kept track by what uniforms I couldn't be sure the look of in the new template, but we got plenty of coverage of exactly the differences there, so I didn't mark it as something I was waiting for.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mariners hadn't worn navy at home all season until last night. I thought maybe they were leaving it for road games unlike last season when it was worn often at home. Looks like it's back in the mix.

1755af35c25b430452944b582d9c19bb.jpg

A's finally broke these out last night for the first time in about a month (April 2). I was worried they were shelved for good. Still haven't seen them for a road game.

aa85f15e-7b03-42e7-9bb4-3657f575efd3_hom

• Like 3

Oh!  One more thing I forgot that I found out watching Getty for uniform returns.  The Texas Flag is not the only thing that flies one way.  So does the Peagle!

The Peagle was originally on the right sleeve of the City Connects and remains there, the ad patches on the left no matter the handedness.  Meanwhile, on all their other jerseys, the flag is on the left and the ad on the right no matter the handedness.

Cincinnati Reds v Texas Rangers

Cincinnati Reds v Texas Rangers

• Like 6

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a Wisconsin guy, I have noticed the amount of Brewers powder blue perch is incredibly high with fans. It was popular as throwback gear before the City unis came into existence, but now (and added with the new alternate "grill" logo), it is very interesting to me. I wouldn't be shocked for that color to ever disappear from the Crew's identity because of the success rate of the city gear. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PhlyBoy said:

As a Wisconsin guy, I have noticed the amount of Brewers powder blue perch is incredibly high with fans. It was popular as throwback gear before the City unis came into existence, but now (and added with the new alternate "grill" logo), it is very interesting to me. I wouldn't be shocked for that color to ever disappear from the Crew's identity because of the success rate of the city gear. 

Furthermore, powder or light blue seem to be a hit with any team that uses it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

They've been wearing them for Monday home games the past year or two:

iexltobicafy0qu1ij68.jpg

This week, was, I believe, their third Monday home game of the season. For some reason they didn't wear them the first Monday, and the second was Jackie Robinson Day, so they just wore their classic home pinstripes with blue "42." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

If I recall correctly, it was two long road trips that they wore the LA Greys for every game last year. So what they are doing now seems to fit as they have done that for the entire road trip. 

4 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

So, Braves are at the Mariners tonight...

Atlanta is once again in their grey road uniforms, which they have worn in every road game so far this season (14 for 14). No sign of the "new" blue alternates that they wore for the duration of spring training. 

And the Ms might be showing why; they are in blue tops and there's a distinct difference between the blue in their caps and the shirts. 

Both the Braves shirts from ST and Mariners shirts I am looking at tonight are a lighter shade of navy and in certain lighting almost look purple. The difference between them and the blue of the New Era caps is annoying. 

I wonder if the Braves have resisted wearing theirs for that reason? 

UPDATE: I just looked at the Braves shop and they don't even have the blue jerseys to purchase unless it's a youth or women's. I wonder if they have officially canned them already?

The Mariners have had that problem long before the new Nike template, they've used the "dark" navy for their caps and the "light" navy for their jerseys. usa_today_23154155.0.jpg

Other teams that use navy, like the Rays, Brewers, Guardians, and Red Sox,  have always matched their caps and jersey to either the light or dark navy.

The Twins used to have the same problem as the Mariners, but they fixed it with their rebrand. 

pagan_yell_USATSI_18243766_168390264_lowUSATSI_21045667.jpg?crop=824px,149px,308

I'm pretty sure the Braves had always used the darker navy, but for some reason went to the lighter navy for the jersey with the new Nike template.

r1197538_1296x729_16-9.jpg2061704957.0.jpg

It's a bit tough to compare to the hat since the Spring Training hat was red, but the new navy jersey does appear to be a bit lighter. Of course, lighting is always a factor, though. 

The Twins still have their darker navy jersey, though, on the new Nike template, so I'm not sure why Atlanta felt the need to change theirs.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

They've been wearing them for Monday home games the past year or two:

iexltobicafy0qu1ij68.jpg

This week, was, I believe, their third Monday home game of the season. For some reason they didn't wear them the first Monday, and the second was Jackie Robinson Day, so they just wore their classic home pinstripes with blue "42." 

Huh...  Last year besides the home opener, they weren't at home on Monday until May 15th when they wore the regular blacks and finally wore the Southsides the next home Monday game on the 29th.  No wonder I had no clue they still existed.  By a third of the way through the season I stopped paying attention to old unis popping back up.  Their last home Monday was August 7th.  Weird how often they were either in another ballpark or travelling on that day.  They did randomly break them out for Friday and Saturday a couple times.

13 hours ago, cemps said:

If I recall correctly, it was two long road trips that they wore the LA Greys for every game last year. So what they are doing now seems to fit as they have done that for the entire road trip. 

Ahh...  That makes sense.  When they finally came back, it seemed to coincide with a trip to their division rivals, so I thought they were just repping LA in SF and SD.  And that explains why it's only that since they're only bringing one uni on the road.

spacer.png

spacer.png

My two cents on the Rays CC...

I get it about educating people on things in the city/community but it just feels like they picked a very niche part of Tampa culture. This feels like it's ONLY for those in the skating community. Will people in the region care about these if they're not skaters? I might be completely wrong as I don't live in Tampa but this feels like the only city connect that isn't meant for "the whole city."

As for the design, I love the color scheme but holy cow the execution is awful. The cap works but the jersey is atrocious. There's zero reason to leave the letters and numbers filled in black especially with that super thin outline. The outline makes it worse than the Marlins previous black jersey which actually looked great "up close" while these seem hard to see even up close, they're going to be awful on tv or from the stands. I don't see any reason they couldn't have emphasized the colors more on the uniform as it's not meant to be a vice or nightlife theme like the Marlins at least intended. 

Why are the jersey/pants even black/gray anyways? This could have been great in the neon green or even the purple or that blue. There's just no reason for all the darkness.

And the Thrasher logo isn't black, it's yellow... use more color!

All the signage, murals, and street art show that this could have worked perfectly fine by using more of the colors. 

The difference between this mural and the jerseys is dumbfounding to me... imagine if the jersey and hat were colored like the way that girl's top and hat are!

GMhV2GOWQAEuEOP?format=jpg&name=small

These CC uniforms are just Nike trying to make the monochrome look a thing in baseball. I don't like the colored pants. It feels very college or girls softball to me. Not MLB. But most of us on here are baseball purists. These uniforms are for younger people. I'm sure these are "fire" or "lit" for them :)

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

53 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

These CC uniforms are just Nike trying to make the monochrome look a thing in baseball. I don't like the colored pants. It feels very college or girls softball to me. Not MLB. But most of us on here are baseball purists. These uniforms are for younger people. I'm sure these are "fire" or "lit" for them :)

im a purist and like dark pants / monochrome looks (in some cases). I hate 80% of the CCs, but not always for that reason. 

dark pants have roots as far back as the sport itself. 

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Ahh...  That makes sense.  When they finally came back, it seemed to coincide with a trip to their division rivals, so I thought they were just repping LA in SF and SD.  And that explains why it's only that since they're only bringing one uni on the road.

Based on what I saw yesterday, it was 2019 when the Dodgers last wore both grey jerseys during the same road trip. I believe in 2022, they wore the LA greys for all April road games and then only a few more times throughout the rest of the year. Weird patterns over there.

• Like 1

This Tampa Bay City Connect has taught us all about parts of the local culture none of us were aware of.  It's what the program should be.

And it points out how much of a complete failure Philadelphia's is.

Or, to put it in the universal language of Simpsons clips...

ucjvXqi1AS6B-k8-GKV0LeYkkJw=.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

This Tampa Bay City Connect has taught us all about parts of the local culture none of us were aware of.  It's what the program should be.

Those of us who were born and raised in Florida knew about it, and it's not unique to Tampa (Bay). However, Tampa does have certain things dedicated to the culture. All that said, and I may write up a full critique on all this later, this Tampa Bay CC may be the biggest hit in terms of total impact since since very first CC, that being the Red Sox's Boston Marathon-inspired alts. I may add in the White Sox's CCs as a second total hit. I still think the Rangers' CCs might be my favorite of these alternate uniforms; however, in terms of alternate identity, however (I'm talking in terms of art direction, mostly,  not really the uniforms themselves), yeah, nothing's touching Tampa right now. 

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

And it points out how much of a complete failure Philadelphia's is.

Tou-dang-ché there, pal. Touuuuuché.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||