2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

4 hours ago, Ark said:

It's so stupid that they didn't change the collar design, who thought that looked good?

If I understand correctly, year 1 is basically the same template and somewhere in year 2 or 3 they'll rollout their own template.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mjarvie said:

If I understand correctly, year 1 is basically the same template and somewhere in year 2 or 3 they'll rollout their own template.

At a guess, they'll debut the template either with the All Star Game or Third jerseys in year 2.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

At a guess, they'll debut the template either with the All Star Game or Third jerseys in year 2.

Or the 4 Nations Tournament in 2025

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ark said:

It's so stupid that they didn't change the collar design, who thought that looked good?

It sounds like their conversations with team equipment managers were more about function than form. The minimal changes they've made have been to improve the durability of the jerseys, not the aesthetics. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:23 PM, Ark said:

I really like the 80s Blues

63910b79163af.image.jpg?resize=1200,1692

This looks really good. And it uses all three primary colors by the way

Complete aside, but what was the Blues' reasoning for adding the red trim in the first place? I was always curious about that...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

52 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Complete aside, but what was the Blues' reasoning for adding the red trim in the first place? I was always curious about that...

Probably just comes down to your typical case of a new owner wanting to put his stamp on the franchise. Ornest bought the team in '83 (after the previous owner tried to move them to Saskatoon) and immediately wanted to make changes to the uniforms. He originally tried to make silver a primary color but it didn't work out production-wise.

https://uni-watch.com/2018/12/07/silver-in-st-louis-unseen-by-me-blues-prototype-emerges/

• Like 1

The Blues also had the team name arched above the logo for some reason for the first few years of red trim

spacer.png

Not the biggest fan of the Blues' red trim years. I'd rank their uniform eras:

1. Original

2. 00s/Current

3. 80s red trim

4. 2007 RBK Edge

5.  Aggressive 90s design

13 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Probably just comes down to your typical case of a new owner wanting to put his stamp on the franchise. Ornest bought the team in '83 (after the previous owner tried to move them to Saskatoon) and immediately wanted to make changes to the uniforms. He originally tried to make silver a primary color but it didn't work out production-wise.

https://uni-watch.com/2018/12/07/silver-in-st-louis-unseen-by-me-blues-prototype-emerges/

I am a diehard fan and I cannot believe I didn't know this. That's cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I always wonder if the addition of red was to tie into the city flag .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Interestingly, Harry Ornest did the same thing to the Toronto Argonauts when he bought the team in late 1988... he attempted to inject red into a team that was double blue going back to the 1870s. The red made its way into some merchandise but never into the on-field uniform, however.

Here's an example:

spacer.png

• Like 4

Whoops, I spoke too soon... I went back and double-checked and it looks like some red did make it into the Argos away jersey, definitely for 1990 and maybe for 1989 too?  (Bruce McNall got rid of the Ornest logo when he bought the team in 1991.) The Toronto wordmark has a red outline. I'm pretty sure that was the only time the Argos wore any kind of red on their uniform other than patches, at least in living memory.

I didn't realize that the gratuitous use of red was a Harry Ornest thing, haha.

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 7/24/2024 at 10:10 AM, zubazpirate said:

Interestingly, Harry Ornest did the same thing to the Toronto Argonauts when he bought the team in late 1988... he attempted to inject red into a team that was double blue going back to the 1870s. The red made its way into some merchandise but never into the on-field uniform, however.

Here's an example:

spacer.png

If you google John Candy Argonauts or Wayne Gretzky Argonauts this pic is one of the top results

image.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 10:42 AM, Bmac said:

Blue + red + yellow is a terrible color scheme and should never be used. It's very difficult for the 3 primary colors to co-exist in a design.

Navy + red + yellow is difficult to balance but not horrible. Unpopular opinion, but I think the current gold used by the Panthers actually helps balance the color scheme better.

Completely agree.

Navy+Red+Gold can sometimes work if proportioned properly, though its almost always an uninteresting design.

I have yet to see an example of Blue+Red+Yellow that doesn't look incredibly garish, like the paint scheme inside an old fast food restaurant or primary school or amusement park or something.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2024 at 8:15 PM, Ark said:

My guess is that, like a lot of aesthetic trends right now, it's all about cutting costs in the current economy. Notice how the only change they made was getting rid of the golf-ball textured fabric on the yokes so now they're only using two kinds of fabric instead of three.

Of course, considering the ongoing MLB disaster and how cheap and crappy their merchandise has always been, I'm not optimistic that Fanatics could do any better than Adidas if left to their own devices. And that's saying something, as my opinion of Adidas is not very high.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 7/27/2024 at 12:27 PM, Chromatic said:

Completely agree.

Navy+Red+Gold can sometimes work if proportioned properly, though its almost always an uninteresting design.

I have yet to see an example of Blue+Red+Yellow that doesn't look incredibly garish, like the paint scheme inside an old fast food restaurant or primary school or amusement park or something.

This is why I've never understood why people like the Colorado flag so much.  The Avs' second Reverse Retro is a good example.

"The guns have fallen silent.  The stars have aligned.  The great wait is over.  Come see.  It will not be televised."

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

My guess is that, like a lot of aesthetic trends right now, it's all about cutting costs in the current economy. Notice how the only change they made was getting rid of the golf-ball textured fabric on the yokes so now they're only using two kinds of fabric instead of three.

Of course, considering the ongoing MLB disaster and how cheap and crappy their merchandise has always been, I'm not optimistic that Fanatics could do any better than Adidas if left to their own devices. And that's saying something, as my opinion of Adidas is not very high.

I think the dimpled shoulders were just added as a finishing touch from Adidas, and not a whole separate piece of fabric. 

And from what I understand, a majority of the Adidas people who helped design the Adizero template, and many designs, have simply swapped over to Fanatics. Some of the people have been involved in NHL jersey construction since before the Reebok Edge.

Colin Turner a designer at Adidas, now Fanatics, and one of the CCSLC’s own, has said that he’s heard rumblings about the collar changing a little more when Fanatics will make some minor changes to the template, to make it their own. As it stands right now, it’s essentially the AdiZero template with the Fanatics logo on the back. So I think the collar didn’t change much, because players are happy with it, and it works to keep going with what works lol. 

While I will always hold my breath with Fanatics, given their track record, but this is overall starting out a lot more promising than it could have. I guess we’ll see what happens two years down the road, but my guess is that there’s not gonna be too many issues. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 7/21/2024 at 9:23 PM, Ark said:

I really like the 80s Blues

63910b79163af.image.jpg?resize=1200,1692

This looks really good. And it uses all three primary colors by the way

I think this is a great example of making the 3 primary colors work, by having a clear hierarchy with the colors. Blue is primary, yellow secondary, and red tertiary, it works great with the thin red lines. Having the outlines consistent throughout the uniform elements is great too.

It's still a bit garish, but it's garish in a good, hockey uniform kind of way.

Edited by RobertG
Added thought
  • Like 3