2024 NFL Offseason

Dynasty

43 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I agree with the 2 bye week concept, but not sure if you'd get the participation from players unless it was mandated for the Pro Bowl Games.

Wouldn't pro bowl activities kinda counteract the benefit of that second bye?  There's no way in hell any team would allow their stars to play in or participate in a non-team-sanctioned event during the season.

The networks would never allow for a league-wide bye.  The best that could happen is a full conference bye, and even that is very hard to schedule (but doable.)

The obvious answer is to not go to 18 games, but there's no stopping that now.  

What about - and hear me out - keeping the single bye, but giving more playoff teams a bye?  So most playoff teams would have one week off after game 18, but the loser-ass teams that squeaked in would have to play.  And the top seed or two would get two bye weeks.

I didn't do the math, but I think that is the equivalent of adding an 18th game with 2 byes, but probably allows for better playoffs with more-rested teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Is Joe for real? Even less players would partake in that Pro Bowl Games BS if it were in the middle of the season. 🤡

6uXNWAo.png

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

Wouldn't pro bowl activities kinda counteract the benefit of that second bye?  There's no way in hell any team would allow their stars to play in or participate in a non-team-sanctioned event during the season.

The networks would never allow for a league-wide bye.  The best that could happen is a full conference bye, and even that is very hard to schedule (but doable.)

I thought I had a good idea for a 17-week schedule, where all byes fell within Weeks 7-11, with 6 teams per week except 8 per week in Week 9, dead center, so a quarter of the league played 8 and 8 and no team played more than 10 in a row (and no team would play a Thursday without a preceding bye week). It would have perpetually locked the Cowboys and Lions into a Week 11 bye before Thanksgiving and 10 straight games every year, but that's just the way it'd go.

I hate the 17th game with my life, it compromises the fundamentals of home and road splits, it makes end-of-year standings terribly ugly, and an 18th game will somehow be even worse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 games can work fine if that extra one is an international game. 8 home, 8 away and 1 international. Could stop the talk of a London team (they can host multiple games if needed) and would grow the game as well as balancing the fairness of the schedule. 16 games beginning week 2 and ending week 17, so the first and last weeks are all at home. If they players wanted, they could add a second bye week for the week after every international game (I'd put the last one in Mexico so the teams playing it wouldn't really need a bye week after, thus ending the season with everyone playing week 19, it would be).

35 minutes ago, McCall said:

17 games can work fine if that extra one is an international game. 8 home, 8 away and 1 international. Could stop the talk of a London team (they can host multiple games if needed) and would grow the game as well as balancing the fairness of the schedule. 16 games beginning week 2 and ending week 17, so the first and last weeks are all at home. If they players wanted, they could add a second bye week for the week after every international game (I'd put the last one in Mexico so the teams playing it wouldn't really need a bye week after, thus ending the season with everyone playing week 19, it would be).

I don't get the need for a bye after the London game.  It's like 6-7 hours from East coast, so not much different than going from east to west or vice versa.  Sure, for a west coast team they'd want to play on the east, then London, then east again, which does take them away from home for 2 weeks (and there's the additional flight home after that) so it's definitely more taxing than a simple cross country trip, but it's not the super-long distance that it sometimes gets made out to be.  I just did it and it didn't feel any different than when I fly to/from SF, despite it being an extra hour one way and a little more the other.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/10/2024 at 8:46 PM, Cujo said:

Multiple sources told the US Sun on Tuesday that the former New England Patriots head coach, 72, has been lapping up “the simple life” ever since he started dating the 23-year-old last year.

Never heard one called that before

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/8/2024 at 6:58 PM, BBTV said:

The obvious answer is to not go to 18 games, but there's no stopping that now.  

What about - and hear me out - keeping the single bye, but giving more playoff teams a bye?  So most playoff teams would have one week off after game 18, but the loser-ass teams that squeaked in would have to play.  And the top seed or two would get two bye weeks.

I didn't do the math, but I think that is the equivalent of adding an 18th game with 2 byes, but probably allows for better playoffs with more-rested teams.

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio believes that the NFL will eventually go to 20 games and scrapping the preseason.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio believes that the NFL will eventually go to 20 games and scrapping the preseason.  

If they went to 20 games, they would have a minimum of 2 bye weeks, the NFLPA would make sure of that (maybe even more). Combined with the current 5 week playoff and you're looking at a week 1 to Super Bowl timeframe of 27 weeks, four more than the current 23. Not sure how much the players union would go for that.

2 hours ago, McCall said:

If they went to 20 games, they would have a minimum of 2 bye weeks, the NFLPA would make sure of that (maybe even more). Combined with the current 5 week playoff and you're looking at a week 1 to Super Bowl timeframe of 27 weeks, four more than the current 23. Not sure how much the players union would go for that.

20 games would mean at most 2 preseason games.

Money or a lockout followed by new rules can make it happen.

It's where I sit.

8 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

20 games would mean at most 2 preseason games.

Money or a lockout followed by new rules can make it happen.

Preseason games are not equal to regular season games. The starters would barely play in those games as where they would be playing ALL of a regular season game, thus resulting in more "wear & tear" and prompting the NFLPA to demand at least one additional bye week for a break. 

20 games is absurd and I'll be anyone here a full-year avatar change that it won't happen.

Each game becomes so devalued, and divisional games would only count for 30% of the schedule, which renders divisions worthless.

You'd also have a season that runs on Labor Day weekend, which is a terrible idea, and possibly extends to March.  It's simply not doable.

13 hours ago, McCall said:

Preseason games are not equal to regular season games. The starters would barely play in those games as where they would be playing ALL of a regular season game, thus resulting in more "wear & tear" and prompting the NFLPA to demand at least one additional bye week for a break. 

I'm not saying they're equal. I'm saying you need to shorten the schedule by not thinking of  the preseason being 4 weeks long.

As to the 'it's too long', it used to be 12. Then 14. Then 16. Now 17.  Yes, there's probably a point that it can't reach. It will be 18 before 2030.

It's where I sit.