2024 NFL Changes

3 hours ago, bowld said:

Props to @WSU151 for the info... The following teams appear to have new Alternate helmets coming this year-

* Ravens

* Vikings

* Broncos

* Lions

* Packers

* Giants

* Jets

* Jaguars

* Texans

I have to assume the Jets will have a new black helmet to match the new uniforms. Vikings likely white to wear at their whiteout game

Where was this posted?

It's where I sit.

20 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Where was this posted?

Helmet/collectible retailer.  There are no images, just placeholders. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, joekono said:

AHHHHHH, the uniforms that started the demise of uniforms as we knew them.

That WOULD be true if the Broncos hadn't won the Superb Bowl that year, breaking the 13-year AFC curse.  That's what likely led to the flurry of sidestripes, piping, unitards, shoehorning navy blue/black onto uniforms, and other uniform atrocities:

Patriots 2000

Bills 2002

Seahawks 2002

Falcons 2003

Cardinals 2005

Vikings 2006

Jaguars 2009

Seahawks 2012

Jaguars 2013

Buccaneers 2014

Browns 2015

Titans 2018

Falcons 2020

Perhaps if the Packers had won the game 34-6 like many predicted, that would have been the demise of those ugly trends, but Terrell Davis wore Gilbert Brown out by always running sweeps.

I don't know if anyone saw this (and I looked through the thread & didn't see it mentioned), but last week Dan Marino was interviewed about the Miami Dolphins throwback uniforms. Everyone keeps saying they should wear them full time for the 2024 season and beyond. Marino actually agreed that they should change back full time, but said the owner probably has no intention of doing so: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/02/17/will-the-dolphins-ever-switch-back-to-their-old-uniforms-dan-marino-certainly-hopes-so/.

“I don’t think he will because that was kind of his baby,” Marino told PFT Live. “You know what I mean? I’d like to see them come back too, because they look great, especially when we have those games where we’re wearing the throwbacks. But, at the same time, he owns the team . . .  I don’t think he wants to hear that question anymore. Just better leave it alone."

Kind of unfortunate given the throwbacks look so much better. Everyone loves them, but the owner has this whole, "This is MY team, and they're going to represent ME in MY era" attitude.

<iframe width="420" height="315"
src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxSjOQ_GFE">
</iframe>

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm starting to think the NFL wants to copy soccer, but can't talk themselves into swapping out uniforms every 1-2 years like soccer teams do now. That's why they have the 5 year rule, with the caveat that it can be tossed out under that time if someone else buys the team. 

EFF soccer uniforms. Those things put the “ass” in association football, that’s for sure. They are terrible almost to a one - only World Cup looks are halfway-decent in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

EFF soccer uniforms. Those things put the “ass” in association football, that’s for sure. They are terrible almost to a one - only World Cup looks are halfway-decent in my opinion. 

For what it’s worth, I mean that mainly because of the constant uniform changes and the enormous ads, along with the tendency many teams have to wear completely different color schemes home and road. All three of those things annoy me a lot. 

4 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

So does this mean that the Lions current alt helmet is history? 

Broncos have a new alt because the current alt is now primary?

I can't even guess on the Vikings other than a shell color change which would be pointless.

Helmets to match the throwbacks this past year that wasn't *historically accurate

qqsnye7igxo8ec46p6i8.gif8w1hgru5dzdypj7inln83daen.giffh4wdzfefsmfcaxut0absohlk.giffie6s5apghfbj7vtla8v.gif

1 minute ago, MCM0313 said:

I really doubt they would do that. It’s probably “HURR DURR 🥶 🥶 🥶” stuff. 

Let's hope not. But I don't think the Vikings need another helmet for their throwbacks. Didn't the throwbacks use their current colors?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rmackman said:

I don't know if anyone saw this (and I looked through the thread & didn't see it mentioned), but last week Dan Marino was interviewed about the Miami Dolphins throwback uniforms. Everyone keeps saying they should wear them full time for the 2024 season and beyond. Marino actually agreed that they should change back full time, but said the owner probably has no intention of doing so: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/02/17/will-the-dolphins-ever-switch-back-to-their-old-uniforms-dan-marino-certainly-hopes-so/.

“I don’t think he will because that was kind of his baby,” Marino told PFT Live. “You know what I mean? I’d like to see them come back too, because they look great, especially when we have those games where we’re wearing the throwbacks. But, at the same time, he owns the team . . .  I don’t think he wants to hear that question anymore. Just better leave it alone."

Kind of unfortunate given the throwbacks look so much better. Everyone loves them, but the owner has this whole, "This is MY team, and they're going to represent ME in MY era" attitude.

<iframe width="420" height="315"
src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxSjOQ_GFE">
</iframe>

spacer.png

spacer.png

Based on his comments, it tells me that the current set will be around longer than I initially would have thought. For me, it's not as much about the uniforms as it is the logo that needs to be changed. None the less, it's a reminder that the owners opinion is above all else in these matters.

Even if they went the throwback route, it shouldn't be to the 1966 set. Over the decades, the Dolphins corrected on key issues which the inaugural unform had. They changed their facemasks to aqua when NFL uniforms established colored facemasks, they got rid of the fill-in effect from blocked numbers (as seen in that last image), and they corrected on the striping inconsistency with the helmet and pants stripe. Throwbacks can definitely be used again, but it's important to remember the concept of evolution in the case where certain areas are changed for the better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

Based on his comments, it tells me that the current set will be around longer than I initially would have thought. For me, it's not as much about the uniforms as it is the logo that needs to be changed. None the less, it's a reminder that the owners opinion is above all else in these matters.

Even if they went the throwback route, it shouldn't be to the 1966 set. Over the decades, the Dolphins corrected on key issues which the inaugural unform had. They changed their facemasks to aqua when NFL uniforms established colored facemasks, they got rid of the fill-in effect from blocked numbers (as seen in that last image), and they corrected on the striping inconsistency with the helmet and pants stripe. Throwbacks can definitely be used again, but it's important to remember the concept of evolution in the case where certain areas are changed for the better.

While a new logo would be nice, I still have gripes with the current uniforms. They look like generic Dolphins uniforms if a film crew couldn’t get the licensing.

spacer.png

There are some positives here. I love the updated colors. I also love how they dropped the dark blue several years ago. However, I think that while aqua should be the main color (besides white), the current uniforms have too much aqua.

Look back at any Dolphins uniform, up until the 2013 rebrand. They all featured a prominent orange stripe down the middle of the helmet. Not only that, but they all featured a stripe pattern with white breaking up the colors. It just doesn’t feel right to see such a thick aqua stripe with only a little bit of orange. Dropping the navy years ago definitely fixed that a bit, but it still feels like the off brand Dolphins.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

2 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Let's hope not. But I don't think the Vikings need another helmet for their throwbacks. Didn't the throwbacks use their current colors?

The versions they used this year was with their regular helmets but the historical duds had a darker helmet. Think the Brett Favre Era throwbacks

• Like 1

qqsnye7igxo8ec46p6i8.gif8w1hgru5dzdypj7inln83daen.giffh4wdzfefsmfcaxut0absohlk.giffie6s5apghfbj7vtla8v.gif

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

While a new logo would be nice, I still have gripes with the current uniforms. They look like generic Dolphins uniforms if a film crew couldn’t get the licensing.

spacer.png

There are some positives here. I love the updated colors. I also love how they dropped the dark blue several years ago. However, I think that while aqua should be the main color (besides white), the current uniforms have too much aqua.

Look back at any Dolphins uniform, up until the 2013 rebrand. They all featured a prominent orange stripe down the middle of the helmet. Not only that, but they all featured a stripe pattern with white breaking up the colors. It just doesn’t feel right to see such a thick aqua stripe with only a little bit of orange. Dropping the navy years ago definitely fixed that a bit, but it still feels like the off brand Dolphins.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Notice the width of the white stripes (spacers?) on the current throwback helmets verses the old version. The current throwback spacing is a lot more equal with more white in between the aqua and orange stripes.

I think that just looks better than the original. Maybe it helps keep the colors clean against the backdrop, but to my eyes it looks better.

1435999049.0.jpg

• Like 1

I know the Vikings using their current helmet color and finish with their throwbacks wasn’t historically accurate but I don’t really care.  It actually looked better without the dark blue-purple helmet they used the last time they wore throwbacks IMO.

I don’t personally need them to have any alternate helmet but if they are getting one I’m not anxious to see it mess up what I think is a pretty nice look.  But if I understand the “rules” for alternate helmets, they supposedly have to be worn with alternate jerseys.  In the Vikings case that means last year’s new throwback uniforms or that useless color rush uniforms.  No thanks to either scenario. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I know the Vikings using their current helmet color and finish with their throwbacks wasn’t historically accurate but I don’t really care.  It actually looked better without the dark blue-purple helmet they used the last time they wore throwbacks IMO.

I don’t personally need them to have any alternate helmet but if they are getting one I’m not anxious to see it mess up what I think is a pretty nice look.  But if I understand the “rules” for alternate helmets, they supposedly have to be worn with alternate jerseys.  In the Vikings case that means last year’s new throwback uniforms or that useless color rush uniforms.  No thanks to either scenario. 

I think that is a pretty loose rule. Maybe most teams didn’t try to push the envelope or challenge what is an “alternate” but we know it’s not strictly alternates or throwbacks because the Panthers wore their black lids with their all black set. My guess is they reclassified all black as Color Rush and it just so happens to include their standard jersey. The NFL should loosen the restrictions on the second helmet. Not because I want to see them more often, but it creates situations where you end up with the Saints ugly black helmet paired with their gorgeous Color Rush. It’s fitting a square peg into a round hole where it doesn’t always fit. Just put a limit on how many games the alternate helmet can be worn and I think that will suffice.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Were the jerseys different colors? I thought they were the same shade of purple. But I think the throwbacks would look fine in the Vikings' current colors. Maybe they could make a white version and use those as the primaries like what the 49ers did in 2009. But only with white pants and purple socks for both jerseys.

17 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

So does this mean that the Lions current alt helmet is history? 

I believe it was said that the alternate helmet was designed to go with new uniforms back when it was unveiled. So either the decal is swapped and that's classified as "new" or... the Lions are going with blue helmets in their new uniforms which would just be real controversial.

bSLCtu2.png

7 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Were the jerseys different colors? I thought they were the same shade of purple. But I think the throwbacks would look fine in the Vikings' current colors. Maybe they could make a white version and use those as the primaries like what the 49ers did in 2009. But only with white pants and purple socks for both jerseys.

The Vikings have actually changed their shade of purple several times in their history. For all four of their Super Bowl appearances, it was a very dark, blue-heavy shade. More recent versions have been a bit brighter and more balanced. 

• Like 1