2024 NFL Changes

20 hours ago, MDGP said:

It makes me think the "he picked the color to match Notre Dame" is just another thing made up by someone years later. Reminds me of how when I was at Penn State, there was this persistent myth that they switched from Black and Pink to Blue and White because the colors faded in the sun (I want to say that's the same myth surrounding the Arizona Cardinals' name origins too)

Kent State had the same myth about changing to the Golden Flashes from Silver Foxes because the purple and orange uniforms somehow got washed out to blue and gold because the red dye used was pretty cheap. The name change happened separate of this because when the president that picked it was run off the campus, they needed a new name and that's when they chose Golden Flashes. I think the uniform choice was then retrofitted to make the story sound a little more prescient than, "We already had gold uniforms so we just went with that". 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/24/2024 at 11:04 AM, Old School Fool said:

The thing about the Packers getting an alternate helmet is that it could just be making their throwback accurate. Remember the throwback was introduced in 2021 when there was no alternate helmet rule. They did wear a yellow helmet in 1950 but in 1953 they had a gold helmet. 

Man the Packers sucked at having an identity Pre-Lombardi. It was all over the place.

1953_GreenBay.png

It’s hilarious that Vince Lombardi - a coach, not a designer, and colorblind at that - had such a part in standardizing football uniform formats for so long. I have read that he associated it with winning, maybe from his time as an assistant coach in Cleveland, but he apparently preferred the helmet and pants to be the team’s secondary color, effectively ending non-white monochrome looks for more than a quarter of a century. Was he also the one who commissioned the G logo, or was that just a coincidence?

14 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

It’s hilarious that Vince Lombardi - a coach, not a designer, and colorblind at that - had such a part in standardizing football uniform formats for so long. I have read that he associated it with winning, maybe from his time as an assistant coach in Cleveland, but he apparently preferred the helmet and pants to be the team’s secondary color, effectively ending non-white monochrome looks for more than a quarter of a century. Was he also the one who commissioned the G logo, or was that just a coincidence?

Pretty sure someone whipped up the 'G' logo in an afternoon and after getting Vince's OK they slapped it on the helmet without further ado nor interference from the league.  No 5-year design and review process like there is now!

He didn't invent the trend, though...the 49ers, Lions, and Steelers already had helmet/pants in secondary colors. If anything, he may have been trying to imitate Army.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

indianapolis-in-michigan-defensive-linem

No Bull has replaced New Era as the clothing provider for the NFL Combine this year. They are also the primary sponsor this year.

indianapolis-indiana-beau-brade-db45-of-

indianapolis-indiana-general-manager-jas

Thought this happened last year, no?

For those that missed it, TB12 also merged into No Bull.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PurpleHayes said:

Pretty sure someone whipped up the 'G' logo in an afternoon and after getting Vince's OK they slapped it on the helmet without further ado nor interference from the league.  No 5-year design and review process like there is now!

He didn't invent the trend, though...the 49ers, Lions, and Steelers already had helmet/pants in secondary colors. If anything, he may have been trying to imitate Army.

That’s awesome. Somebody whipped it up and now it’s been used by an NFL team for over sixty years and two colleges for who knows how long. 

I know Vince wasn’t the first to use proper color blocking. What I was saying was that, after the way the Packers tore through the 1960s, the monochrome looks that were occasionally seen before that disappeared. The Packers themselves had worn mono in the ‘50s. IIRC it didn’t recur for Green Bay until the advent of Color Rush. 

Of course, the OG low-def color televisions had something to do with it too, I’m sure. Different colors for different parts of the uniforms kept the players from looking like Colorforms and made the action easier to keep track of. 

Ironically, with today’s hi-def mega-screens, basketball (NBA and college) has gotten so far from its roots that many games are literally black against white uniforms, and it can be hard to tell, at least initially, which team is which. The NFL at least generally sticks to team colors. 

According to the GUD, it looks like monochrome unis like the Packers had disappeared in 1954. They definitely would have ended by 1957 when the NFL decreed that all teams had to have a white jersey and wear them for road games. It seems that true monochrome didn't come back into the NFL until that Monday Night Football game in 1997...🤮

spacer.png

I remember the look was ridiculed by sportscasters at the time...but I guess the players thought they were 'straight fire' and the trend sadly picked up steam a few years later. Funny thing is that the Eagles put a jail in the stadium after that game because there were so many fights.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

According to the GUD, it looks like monochrome unis like the Packers had disappeared in 1954. They definitely would have ended by 1957 when the NFL decreed that all teams had to have a white jersey and wear them for road games. It seems that true monochrome didn't come back into the NFL until that Monday Night Football game in 1997...🤮

spacer.png

I remember the look was ridiculed by sportscasters at the time...but I guess the players thought they were 'straight fire' and the trend sadly picked up steam a few years later. Funny thing is that the Eagles put a jail in the stadium after that game because there were so many fights.

There was also the Vikings who wore mono purple for 3/4 of a game in 1964, but that wasn't exactly planned.

spacer.png

The Broncos wore mono blue twice in the 1997 preseason, beating the eagles by a few months. Weirdly, one of the games was also against the 49ers.

spacer.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

10 hours ago, burgundy said:

There was also the Vikings who wore mono purple for 3/4 of a game in 1964, but that wasn't exactly planned.

spacer.png

The Broncos wore mono blue twice in the 1997 preseason, beating the eagles by a few months. Weirdly, one of the games was also against the 49ers.

spacer.png

Didn’t John Elway himself supposedly nix wearing those in the regular season?

35 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

It did get modified in 2003 when the Eagles moved into Lincoln Financial Field.

Pretty significantly from the eyes of a uni-conscious person (and a huge upgrade imo), but not to an average fan.

For all intents and purposes, they've had the same "look" since 1996, especially since the helmet, logo, and number font haven't changed.

Fortunately this terrible idea with the stripes only lasted one season:
61gOdt4Dy-L.jpg

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

40 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Pretty significantly from the eyes of a uni-conscious person (and a huge upgrade imo), but not to an average fan.

For all intents and purposes, they've had the same "look" since 1996, especially since the helmet, logo, and number font haven't changed.

Fortunately this terrible idea with the stripes only lasted one season:
61gOdt4Dy-L.jpg

Don't forget the logo on the pants. I actually like the original road uniform. Also check out those socks! NFL teams use to have wordmarks on socks and nobody remembers that!

FvaVjqVWAAEuqre.jpg:large

Also, the original look didn't have the stupid charcoal trim on the numbers and the pants had traditional striping thus making this look way better. They also had green socks. The team eliminated all of these things when they moved to Lincoln Financial Field in 2003 and aside from the shiny fabric the look has sucked ever since.

715015_original.jpg?1283721690

• Like 11
  • Dislike 1

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Didn’t John Elway himself supposedly nix wearing those in the regular season?

I seem to recall Elway refusing to wear the monochrome unis, so Nike had to scramble around and come up with some white pants pronto. Originally there was only the blue pants and the white pants with the blue stripe.

23 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

indianapolis-in-michigan-defensive-linem

No Bull has replaced New Era as the clothing provider for the NFL Combine this year. They are also the primary sponsor this year.

indianapolis-indiana-beau-brade-db45-of-

indianapolis-indiana-general-manager-jas

I want to say this changes year by year

• Like 1

When the Eagles first changed to their current shade of blue-green they dropped silver from everywhere but the logos.  Then a few years down the line inexplicably added that charcoal gray.  It was a weird decision.  Since there was already silver in the helmet wings and sleeve patch, if they had instead made all the elements that are charcoal the already in use silver, I think the whole look would be much better.  

Im personally very tired of the current Eagles uniforms and would love a return of a bright Kelly green, but since that seem stubbornly married to the drab dark teal , the least they could do is swap out the charcoal for silver (and update that ancient number font). Silver would add some contrast between the dark blue-green and equally dark black.  

The color they refer to as midnight green is so close in value to charcoal… then add in black… it’s all so drab and muddled.  

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, YelichGraphics said:

I want to say this changes year by year

It's been changing at least over the past four years. It was Under Armour, then New Era, and now No Bull. Under Armour had it for a long while after Nike took over the gameday uniform contracts. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png