2024 NFL Changes

24 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m gonna go on a limb and say approximately 5 total players will correctly wear the socks 

Aren’t the Giants one of the more consistent teams in terms of socks?

zfwklwxdxs9nbgw5y3an.jpg

Something to absolutely point out, and a lesson for all designers, is that the helmet and jersey design were dictated by the materials they used.

Shoulder yokes as separate pieces of fabric were extremely common in jerseys produced in the 1930's and the Giants of that era simply opted to make it a contrasting color.

The winged helmet design was a biproduct of painting between the lines of the stitching on certain brands of leather helmets (just like Princeton and Michigan).

vintage-football-helmet-1930s-leather-fo

Now given the variety of helmet shells available, I don't see a ton of room to use helmet geography to add design (though I think the Seahawks did a good job).

However, Pittsburgh... 

6deaeca043f283f9d41d138386dd1022f9232846

steelers-throwback-jersey-ideas-v0-q32p0

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I assume they must have tried red horns and white horns on the navy jerseys during the design process and didn't like how either of them looked, so they decided to go without.

At that point just use a different horns design or different design altogether!

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wouldn’t matter if it was a red helmet anyway.  The NFL has watered it down to three helmets now anyway.  

it's great for helmet collectors.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

Teams can have a CR and a throwback at the same time.

I'm aware of that. But I don't remember how long a team has to keep an alternate jersey. If an alternate must be kept for at least five years, the throwback cannot be discarded for two more years after this season. Also, the '80s jersey would make more sense for the Giants celebrating their history than the CR jersey.

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I like Pat Patriot, but I think, if they were to return to the overall throwback style full-time... I would hope they would make a blue version as the primary and limit the red to alternate status. We fought against the Redcoats in the Revolutionary War.

Agreed. Even as a child I picked up on the disconnect between the Patriots  being named for the  American colonists that engaged in a revolution against British rule, while simultaneously wearing red jerseys that aped the color of the coats of the British infantry units that said colonial forces had battled. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Agreed. Even as a child I picked up on the disconnect between the Patriots  being named for the  American colonists that engaged in a revolution against British rule, while simultaneously wearing red jerseys that aped the color of the coats of the British infantry units that said colonial forces had battled. 

It's funny that it took them 33 years to figure that out, and in fact the first person who really pointed it out was Bill Parcells when he was hired in 1993, and that's why he changed the unis. (If someone wants to get picky, they can point out that not all American units wore blue coats in that war in the first place)

Of course, when the Patriots were founded they were in a division with three teams that all had blue jerseys: the Bills and Titans with regular blue and the Oilers with the lighter blue.

8 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

It's funny that it took them 33 years to figure that out, and in fact the first person who really pointed it out was Bill Parcells when he was hired in 1993, and that's why he changed the unis. (If someone wants to get picky, they can point out that not all American units wore blue coats in that war in the first place)

Of course, when the Patriots were founded they were in a division with three teams that all had blue jerseys: the Bills and Titans with regular blue and the Oilers with the lighter blue.

Yeah, but when they switched to blue in 1993, that meant all five teams used shades of cool colors (blue or green). But if the Bill Parcells story is true, that's just sad.

3 hours ago, bowld said:

How bout those socks!

spacer.png

More teams should have helmet designs like this. This, Chicago's throwback, and UM's helmets all look great and it would add some nice variety in a league where almost every helmet just has the team logo on it.

• Like 6
  • Meh 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 2

Something I find exceedingly interesting: 

These Giants throwbacks are all over my Instagram right now. Even people who I know only casually follow sports, and some who don't at all, posting it being like "these are the worst uniforms I have ever seen." I get it, if you aren't expecting it those have to be pretty disorienting and bizarre. 

But for folks like us who have not only anticipated this, but have pined for it in the past and have a pre-established palate for that style of football uniform -- it's not weird, in fact it's a refreshing and exciting turn towards something historic and distinct as opposed to all the all-white and all-black BS we have been getting shoved down our throats the last decade. 

• Like 15

(sports team releases an ugly new uniform set/alternate)

Sportslogos.net-ziens: This stinks! Another crappy example of Nike overdesign! More garbage that'll be thrown out in 5 years! Unbelievable! (the board expands another 10 pages in 2 hours)

Social Media folks: FIRE! ICY! TUFF! SMOOTH! AWESOME! BEST UNIS IN THE LEAGUE! NO CAP! (insert a laundry list of hundreds of seemingly random emojis and repeat)

(sports team releases ugly throwback)

Sportslogos.net-ziens: Now THAT's what we wanted! It's old and not new, so that means it's great! Thank you Giants for returning us to football's aesthetic glory days, when men were men and jerseys were too muddy to distinguish from the turf!

Social Media folks: What is this? A throwback that looks like something from its long-gone era and naturally doesn't match my modern-day tastes? This stinks! Worst uniform in the league. Fire whoever designed this!

What do you mean he's been dead for 70 years?

Well, lay off his corpse then!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Facepalm 1

So...who [wore/will wear] it better?

iggkmxf1yanclqvklyqq

gettyimages-457904508.jpg?w=1200

😁

• LOL 2
  • Eyeroll 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

... the first person who really pointed it out was Bill Parcells when he was hired in 1993, and that's why he changed the unis. 

On the first point, it wasn't Parcells who changed the uniforms. I was working in the press in Boston at the time and it was James Busch Orthwein - along with league officials - who were the driving force behind the changes to the Patriots' logo, uniform, and color scheme hierarchy.  

There was a desire on the part of Orthwein to establish a marked transition to his ownership of the team from the 3-1/2 year tenure of his immediate predecessor, Victor Kiam. Orthwein wanted every vestige of Kiam's reign -which  including not only subpar play on the field, but sexual and verbal harassment of reporter Lisa Olson in the Foxboro stadium locker room that resulted in a lawsuit being filed against the team - to be erased. The league felt it was a shrewd PR move.

Further, it wasn't lost on either Orthwein or league officials that, despite playing in the NFL's sixth-largest television market, the Patriots ranked 26th out of 28 teams in merchandise sales at the time. It was hoped that changing the team's logo and its primary color would drive increased merchandising.   

As for the Patriots originally using red as their primary color because they were playing in a division with three other teams that all had blue jerseys at the time of the American Football League's founding, those teams - Buffalo, Houston, and New York - would all have been wearing white jerseys whenever the Patriots donned a color jersey - red or blue - against them. I'm chocking the adoption of red as the team's primary color - British redcoats be damned - as a brain-fart on Billy Sullivan's part.      

• Like 2
  • WOAH 2