2024 NFL Changes

I understand the logic behind the striping convention on the Broncos uniforms, but I just do not like the way it looks. I can't believe I am saying this, but I would have just preferred if they duplicated the triangle stamp on the hip and left it at that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Gotta say, the pants stripe sucks. The front stripe needs to be thicker

Can't believe this needs to be said, but . . . at least it has a stripe

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SCL said:

The Broncos were that number font, for it to be gone is such a shame...

The font is essentially the exact same except for a few minor tweaks(improvements) the O’s, 8’s, 6’s and 9’s are just squared off. I think it’s a vast improvement and doesn’t look as much like the Bear’s numerals

Edited by BroncoBilly

On 5/18/2024 at 1:17 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

If you can show the NFL how this will make them money, they'll be all over it. If not ...

The funny thing is the NFL actually makes money in a way by players wearing the wrong socks, among other uniform violations. If the fines for uniform violations are enforced, I believe the fine payments go to charities or retired player benefits. This saves the NFL money to spend elsewhere.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, BroncoBilly said:

The font is essentially the exact same except for a few minor tweaks(improvements) the O’s, 8’s, 6’s and 9’s are just squared off. I think it’s a vast improvement and doesn’t look as much like the Bear’s numerals

It never looked like the Bears' numbers. The Bengals' do, however.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/18/2024 at 10:55 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Looks good in action (tho not as good as blue socks). Still hope we actually see it on field this year. 

One gripe is the logo is too big. I wish they still had their old 1997-2023 helmet stripes.

On 5/19/2024 at 6:59 AM, SCL said:

The Broncos were that number font, for it to be gone is such a shame...

On 5/18/2024 at 5:15 PM, WSU151 said:

Absolutely no reason for the Broncos to change number fonts…even USM realized this font kinda sucks. 

On 5/19/2024 at 7:56 PM, BroncoBilly said:

Honestly, I think both fonts are bad.

spacer.png

That previous Bronco font has a lot of recognizablity to it, but like the uniform it went with, I think it really wore out it's welcome.

Again, not that the new one is better, really.  The 1, 4, and 7 all appear to be the same.  The 0, 2, 5, and 8 are improvements with the new front IMO.  The 3, 6, and 9 are atrocious in both versions. 

It's interesting that someone obviously decided to alter the old font instead of scrapping it completely and starting from scratch.  I'd like to hear the reasoning.

• Like 12

20 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

The funny thing is the NFL actually makes money in a way by players wearing the wrong socks, among other uniform violations. If the fines for uniform violations are enforced, I believe the fine payments go to charities or retired player benefits. This saves the NFL money to spend elsewhere.

I wonder how many players know this. Given that some players admitted not knowing games can end in a tie, I'll bet quite a few don't. I'm picturing a player with multiple uniform violations realizing this and he wants to do something about it:

"If I wear my uniform correctly, I'm not helping the league save on charitable contributions anymore. I have full control over my check, I get the tax breaks for any contribution to these charities because now it's MY choice, and the league now has to replace my fines with its own revenue. Wearing the uniform correctly isn't that uncomfortable, and I'm not that concerned about fashion."

It's asking a lot for players to recognize this, but the NFLPA could, and probably already does, inform the players of where the fines go. I doubt it would start anything, but how many chances do you get in life to stick it to your boss by following the boss' own rules?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I checked the GUD this morning and saw that the Texans have apparently announced they will wear their crappy city-themed alternates against the Bills this year, and the crappy red horn alternates against the Lions.

Is it too early to start a thread for 2024 weekly uniform matchups?

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 2

With the Broncos, I get a disconnect between the sleeve treatment and the pants.

This is something that happens a lot with non-stripe designs. You have to have something the jibes well with the sleeves on the pants and it's tough when  what's on the sleeve is abstract.

Now this isn't to pigeon hole anyone into doing stripes always. The Seahawks do a great job of having a pants pattern that fits with the big design on the sleeve and the Bengals are the classic example. I'd argue the new Texans road uniforms do a decent enough job on that front as well.

Something about the Broncos pattern isn't working and I can't put my finger on why. Perhaps its too narrow?

(Side note: I really find myself wanting, as other have pointed out for Denver to have gone with an orange sunrise, white snow cap, blue mountain pattern for every jersey. That could have made a triple orange/white/blue pant stripe an easy pick.)

• Like 6

I was just looking at the comparison between the Broncos' old font and new font again, and how much I dislike the 3, 6, and 9 in both versions.  I did a quick fix and came up with this...

spacer.png

I think it's a better looking font in that third version, but it's also possible that it's made it a bit too conventional. Maybe the "fix" looks too much like a bunch of other teams and no longer unique.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I was just looking at the comparison between the Broncos' old font and new font again, and how much I dislike the 3, 6, and 9 in both versions.  I did a quick fix and came up with this...

spacer.png

I think it's a better looking font in that third version, but it's also possible that it's made it a bit too conventional. Maybe the "fix" looks too much like a bunch of other teams and no longer unique.

The fix is better than the new (or old USM font as it is). I'd rather take this one than the one they went with. 

The old font looks to be a poorly drawn version because the 1 and 2 are way too thin.  And as was mentioned, the old font was such a good match (if not perfect match) with the wordmark/NOB font.  All that was taken out for no real reason. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, PurpleHayes said:

I checked the GUD this morning and saw that the Texans have apparently announced they will wear their crappy city-themed alternates against the Bills this year, and the crappy red horn alternates against the Lions.

Is it too early to start a thread for 2024 weekly uniform matchups?

I think a prediction thread would be okay now that we know the schedule, but I think we would be better off waiting until a team issues its uniform schedule or the HOF game, whichever comes first.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

On field and over pads, the 6, 8, and 9 of the “fix” could be indistinguishable, which is an issue the Eagles currently have. 

I don’t care for any of those sets, but for as bad as it was, the original was very legible. It still sucks though. 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hate the new Broncos set more and more with each passing day. The pants stripe is so weak. The white logo on a white helmet looks like a high school helmet. The sleeve stripes only look like mountains on the blue jersey - snowcapped mountains against an orange sunset. Looks terrible on the primary home jersey. It's just so bad. Makes the original unis look amazing.

• Like 6