2024 NFL Changes

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

Something like this would make great Washington uniforms

We can all dream. I wish myself this was their go to. I just wish they did not add black to the mix, It muds the uniform colors and makes it less unique.

15 hours ago, ruttep said:

Something like this would make great Washington uniforms

6 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

We can all dream. I wish myself this was their go to. I just wish they did not add black to the mix, It muds the uniform colors and makes it less unique.

Yes and no. While them using exactly this (or something similar) would be an improvement over what they currently have, I would expect a team like Washington, if they were going the traditional route, to draw on some connection to its past, be that the two-stripe Gibbs era uniforms, the shoulder hoops and plain dark burgundy of Jurgensen era, or even the Packers rip-offs (especially since the Packers don't use those striping patters, specifically, anymore). If they were to go with a completely different but traditional look, that would almost feel like a small school picking a look out of a catalog or something.

On 6/6/2024 at 9:48 PM, The_Admiral said:

Now that it has crossed my mind, how many NFL teams besides the Vikings do have a full wordmark? 

19 of the 32 clubs have either a primary or secondary wordmark that includes their location.
1PSTVxa.jpg

Also the Bears, 49ers, Jet, Giants, Packers as well as the Rams all have logos be they primary or secondary the center around the City and not the Team name. 

As recently as just last season the Bears, Cardinals, Chargers, Colts, Dolphins, Falcons, Jaguars, Packers, Panthers, Raiders, Rams, Ravens, Steelers and Texans all had the City name in at least one their endzones.

I am just a little confused as to why you think it is so unique for the Vikings wordmark?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

31 minutes ago, canzman said:

I am just a little confused as to why you think it is so unique for the Vikings wordmark?

My point was that a lot of them have the location in much smaller type (Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, among others).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

My point was that a lot of them have the location in much smaller type (Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, among others).

That became prominent with the new identities trotted out in the early 2000's, right? Like all of them used the exact same template and sizing, but with different fonts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

That became prominent with the new identities trotted out in the early 2000's, right? Like all of them used the exact same template and sizing, but with different fonts.

Hallmark of Mark Verlander of Verlander Design...as far as I know, he was the last independent graphic artist to fully develop NFL team identities before the league switched over to the exclusive Reebok contract in 2002.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Even the fonts weren't that different. They all had those little pointy serifs. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I honestly don't mind the Vikings' Winter Whiteout uniform. It's fine for one game a year. The silver looks better as an "icy" accent than it did on the leaked graphic. The one thing I don't like is the helmet stripe, but everything else is perfectly serviceable. I like the "icicles" in the numbers, and the isolation of purple & white (with silver accents) looks really nice. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I honestly don't mind the Vikings' Winter Whiteout uniform. It's fine for one game a year. The silver looks better as an "icy" accent than it did on the leaked graphic. The one thing I don't like is the helmet stripe, but everything else is perfectly serviceable. I like the "icicles" in the numbers, and the isolation of purple & white (with silver accents) looks really nice. 

I do, because what's going to happen is that teams like the Vikes are going to wear them for primetime national games, to show how 'fly' and 'dope' and 'chill' the new unis are. Teams shouldn't be allowed to wear these alts for national games.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Eyeroll 2

On 6/7/2024 at 6:16 AM, Old School Fool said:

I kinda miss this one. In fact I miss the Metrodome as a whole, one of only two domes I really liked in Football/Baseball, the other one being the Skydome.

884.gif

Again, just because its old doesnt mean its good or needs to be brought back. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

On 6/7/2024 at 8:21 PM, AnPheitseog said:

I know in early baseball, it was the dye used being toxic which is why baseball used sanitary white socks with stirrups. Wouldnt be shocked if it was the same for football.

And @rfraser85, comes down to an established football look. The function might not be there anymore, but it's what defines a proper football uniform look. even if a lot of teams arent doing it anymore

Agreed. But if teams won’t order socks in that style, and players don’t need the sanitary socks anymore, then maybe solid color socks should be the standard. That’s one part of the uniform I could see reason to adjust.

• Like 1

I may just be young but I vastly prefer full-color socks to half-white/half-color. The color blocking of each element flows far more naturally to me when every individual element is entirely one color. It may be traditional and stem from a once-practical need, but I don't think it's the kind of traditional choice that necessarily needs  to be preserved. As long as they make sense with the rest of the uniform and contrast the pants, they look excellent.

• Like 7

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

On 6/7/2024 at 6:16 AM, Old School Fool said:

I kinda miss this one. In fact I miss the Metrodome as a whole, one of only two domes I really liked in Football/Baseball, the other one being the Skydome.

884.gif

I definitely have some nostalgia for this but it isn't better than what they currently use. Would be cool to see on merchandise or once or twice a year in the end zone. I also have a strange nostalgia for old the lions end zone font but I wouldn't necessarily say its that good.spacer.png

13 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

I definitely have some nostalgia for this but it isn't better than what they currently use. Would be cool to see on merchandise or once or twice a year in the end zone. I also have a strange nostalgia for old the lions end zone font but I wouldn't necessarily say its that good.spacer.png

The one I have nostalgia for definitely is better than either that or their current.

image.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

I may just be young but I vastly prefer full-color socks to half-white/half-color. The color blocking of each element flows far more naturally to me when every individual element is entirely one color. It may be traditional and stem from a once-practical need, but I don't think it's the kind of traditional choice that necessarily needs  to be preserved. As long as they make sense with the rest of the uniform and contrast the pants, they look excellent.

I don’t think I have a strong preference either way, but I probably like solid-color a bit better than team-color top and white bottom. 

What I DO have strong feelings on is sock stripes. I’d like for the league to be something close to 50/50 between teams that routinely wear them and teams that don’t. They don’t make sense for every uniform or every style, but when they work, they’re fantastic. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

The one I have nostalgia for definitely is better than either that of their current.

image.png

Not gonna lie, it was a little weird how, for awhile in the ‘80s and ‘90s, they used royal blue in various applications (this end zone, their official colors, maybe even their helmets?), but the jerseys were always Honolulu blue. 

5 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Not gonna lie, it was a little weird how, for awhile in the ‘80s and ‘90s, they used royal blue in various applications (this end zone, their official colors, maybe even their helmets?), but the jerseys were always Honolulu blue. 

NFL teams using blue and silver almost universally have trouble keeping track of their shades of those colors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 655321 said:

Other than, "because you don't like them," why? 

Teams should showcase their primary identity to a national audience. It can muddle the team's identity if every time they play a big game in front of the entire country, they're wearing a gimmicky alternate that doesn't reflect how the team normally looks. It's the same reason why all playoff games should feature standard primary uniform matchups.

• Like 12