2024 NFL Changes

17 hours ago, BBTV said:

Yes.  I vaguely remember backlash when they changed the away numbers to black, and I definitely remember a huge backlash when they went to the ridiculous piping-to-nowhere set.

Yeeaaahh we don't discuss those '09-'13 toothpaste anomalies around here 😄

15 hours ago, Lumbergh said:

Very happy to see this, but why is the sleeve stripe white? Isn't it supposed to be gold?

It's supposed to be, but instead for reasons only the Andorrians may know, Nike/Fanatics decided to insert flat matte khaki instead...

14 hours ago, Lumbergh said:

After zooming in closer, there seems to be no thin gold. These are white stripes. The original had gold stripes and black cuffs, these obviously are slightly different, or, someone made a mistake.

spacer.png

spacer.png

See above. Somebody definitely made a mistake.

4 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Oh yeah, I've posted one of these before.

Literally perfect.  The old number font is dated, but the outlines work.   

I'll ask this question once again, since I keep seeing this said (not just about the Jaguars but also the Ravens, Eagles, and up til this offseason the Broncos) but yet to see an actual empirical explanation—and this is for anyone who wants to chime in:

Other than the year they came out, what exactly about these numbers makes them "dated"?

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

Nike doesn't want anyone else to have any good ideas, much less give credit to great designs of the past.  By keeping this an alternate, they can stubbornly insist their mediocre rebrand was the best.

The only way they'd change their minds is if the money talked loud enough and the team insisted.

You know the funny—and ironic—thing is that the '97 into '98 refresh literally was a Nike-led creation!  (The actual reason these may not become primaries again deals with Khan himself.) But double-yes to that last point. We'll see what influence the merchandising numbers has...we saw the Jets do a hard pivot almost immediately after introducing their Sack Exchange throwback alternates...which are now primaries.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The current number font is so generic though. You could literally slap it on 20 teams and it'd still work. 

The old font was uniquely Jaguars. 

Tru dat. 

And since we're talking about these, the thing I always appreciated about that old number set was how certain features of a few of the glyphs ever-so-slightly implied "cat" and "class" at the same time. Check the half-serifs on the stems of the 1, 4, and 7, the top terminals of the 2, 3, and 6, and the cleverly placed half-of-a-half-serif on the flag of the 5. That's a touch of class. Then you mix in the curved terminals of the 6 and the 9, which ever-so-slightly evoke a cat's tail (amd yet are curved in different directions so as not to duplicate each other)...even the curved top of the 1 gets a piece of that. 

It's a freakin' masterclass on how to meticulously craft character attributes of a brand into the glyph/number/character set without convoluting the whole thing...it's almost a lost art these days.

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I feel like the Eagles have become a black/white team with a little bit of desaturated dark teal here and there. Don't encourage them further.

I'd prefer more green usage, don't get me wrong.  It's more about how the Eagles' green on their helmets is so dark now that it gets confused with black already, along with my belief that having three helmets is a bad idea. Making the black helmet the primary helmet would solve both issues.

I would love for the Eagles to make this moot with a brighter green, but this is the best option for me with what they have now.

22 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

If only you knew what lay ahead . . ,

That look they are wearing is so sad and boring. Shaid Khan doesn't care. But geez. Maybe he could get Tony or Kenny Omega to do the designs for their new uniforms.

• LOL 2

9 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

I'd prefer more green usage, don't get me wrong.  It's more about how the Eagles' green on their helmets is so dark now that it gets confused with black already, along with my belief that having three helmets is a bad idea. Making the black helmet the primary helmet would solve both issues.

I would love for the Eagles to make this moot with a brighter green, but this is the best option for me with what they have now.

I’ll admit that, in the pantheon of NFL black helmets, I have the Eagles’ alt ahead of the alts of the Jets, Colts, Commanders, Saints, and Panthers, and also the Ravens’ primary helmets. Pittsburgh and Atlanta and Jacksonville are above it. Arizona’s alt is of neck-and-neck with Philly’s. In the case of both the Eagles and the Cardinals, however, the primary helmet is better IMO. 

Eagles black helmets should have had midnight-green wings to separate them from the regular helmets.  As it is, they're redundant and stupid.  Their all-black uniform is also stupid.

• Like 7
  • Huh? 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

37 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Eagles black helmets should have had midnight-green wings to separate them from the regular helmets.  As it is, they're redundant and stupid.  Their all-black uniform is also stupid.

Midnight green wings would be even more stupid. This entire conversation revolves around how black and midnight green are hard to differentiate. How would midnight green-on-black make sense?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Didn't Oregon do something like that?

spacer.png

Last updated 8/9

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

Midnight green wings would be even more stupid. This entire conversation revolves around how black and midnight green are hard to differentiate. How would midnight green-on-black make sense?

Because you put a silver or white outline around them and have the same detail in them that they have now, just in charcoal or whatever color isn't the outline.  I didn't mean literally solid midnight green that would be indiscernible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've long felt now that the Eagles should look at slightly lightening the shade of that green and either 86ing the black entirely or super-reducing it to the slightest bit of trim. And speaking of colorways, if you can ignore the biff-looking guy in this photo and focus in on the colors themselves...

fe1e1f862611f3c41b6335dc902594e1.jpg

...That would be a dang-near ideal color update for the Eagles. 

• Like 8

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I've long felt now that the Eagles should look at slightly lightening the shade of that green and either 86ing the black entirely or super-reducing it to the slightest bit of trim. And speaking of colorways, if you can ignore the biff-looking guy in this photo and focus in on the colors themselves...

Just make that beige-ish grey a little cooler and we’re talking. 

On 7/19/2024 at 12:56 PM, tBBP said:

I'll ask this question once again, since I keep seeing this said (not just about the Jaguars but also the Ravens, Eagles, and up til this offseason the Broncos) but yet to see an actual empirical explanation—and this is for anyone who wants to chime in:

Other than the year they came out, what exactly about these numbers makes them "dated"?

Answer:  if you can look at a font and say, "Oh, I remember that from the late 90's," then it's dated.  This is exactly the case for all 4 teams you referenced. 

The current number font could have been utilized in 1899 just as much as it can be utilized effectively in 2024.  It's called "timelessness".  

I will take "timeless" over "classy cat" every year of the century.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

I'd have to see a mockup, but you may be on to something.  As long as the tan isn't too old-school khaki-ish and more like a tan-grey (but not greige), it could work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Answer:  if you can look at a font and say, "Oh, I remember that from the late 90's," then it's dated.  This is exactly the case for all 4 teams you referenced. 

The current number font could have been utilized in 1899 just as much as it can be utilized effectively in 2024.  It's called "timelessness".  

I will take "timeless" over "classy cat" every year of the century.

But the Jags 90s font still looks just as good now as it did in the 90s.

it’s timeless. 

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, BBTV said:

The black pants are more egregious to me than the pointless black helmet. The black jerseys looked good with white pants. Add that to the fact they started wearing them with the white jerseys and it makes it even worse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

The black pants are more egregious to me than the pointless black helmet. The black jerseys looked good with white pants. Add that to the fact they started wearing them with the white jerseys and it makes it even worse.

Maybe.

But they don't look like the Eagles.

• Like 3
  • Eyeroll 1

It's where I sit.

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

Because you put a silver or white outline around them and have the same detail in them that they have now, just in charcoal or whatever color isn't the outline.  I didn't mean literally solid midnight green that would be indiscernible.

But how thick would the outline have to be? It might turn out like the Atlanta Braves' with their navy jerseys. Up close you can read the numbers, but at any distance you can't. I think that's what would happen with the green wings.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

But how thick would the outline have to be? It might turn out like the Atlanta Braves' with their navy jerseys. Up close you can read the numbers, but at any distance you can't. I think that's what would happen with the green wings.

Numbers need to be read, and identifed by the player. A wing is just wing.  What, someone would look at the Eagles running out of the tunnel and wonder what that winglike shape on their helmet was? 

I agree with BBTV.  The fact that the Eagles put literally the same wing decal on both their green helmet and their black helmet is beyond stupid. And lazy.  The standard decal has two outlines… a black one and then a white one.  On the black helmet they should use a green wing with a white outline and a gray outline.  It would make the helmet better.  

Although what they really need to do is dump the black helmets into the nearest deep body of water. 

• Like 3