2024 NFL Changes

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

Understandable, but still yet, the deep steel blue does work out. I can understand that many want the Texas flag color. Send me that link, please.

I just don't see how a blue so dark it could be mistaken for black could "work out." But I guess it's what the Texans are stuck with for at least five years, so hopefully they make the most of it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

In general, I agree with you. But there are a few examples where the sock color was just a trim color everywhere else on the uniform, and it looked pretty good, IMO.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a fan of quirky nonsense on a uniform, my favorite...

spacer.png

Seattle Seahawks - 2002 Season Recap - RetroSeasons.com49ers-Seahawks-2002-022.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

In general, I agree with you. But there are a few examples where the sock color was just a trim color everywhere else on the uniform, and it looked pretty good, IMO.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a fan of quirky nonsense on a uniform, my favorite...

spacer.png

Good points from both @Sec19Row53 and @oldschoolvikings here.  It's a reminder that there are some general rules but always exceptions. 

Black socks, for example, can work in these cases, particularly when the teams wear black cleats/gloves/accessories.  Plus, it's a neutral color; Black goes with anything, and the upper portion of the helmet/jersey in these examples are dark enough to balance the looks.

I'd argue the Bills and especially the Dolphins would look better with Blue and Teal socks, respectively....especially in today's age of uniforms where 50% of the sock does not need to be White, thus putting the bright, often distracting or overpowering color in greater emphasis.  Imagine Dan Marino wearing all Orange socks knee to ankle, or the Bills wearing 100% Red socks.  It worked in the past, but in today's world - ie, the Texans or Falcons wearing Red socks with their dark helmets & jerseys - it would be a net negative.

23 hours ago, TruColor said:

Texas flag Blue and Red:

spacer.png spacer.png

Also, the only way the Texans can use this type of blue is if red is the primary color. If the helmets were red, red jerseys, and white pants with that type of blue being the accent color, then I can see this blue being in the Texans palette, but for now, I am just glad they use the REAL deep steel blue colors.

Here is one from a member here. I changed my mind about the dark numbers with white trim. It can work if used wisely like this,

xi39FWO.png

If you use the one on the right as an example and lighten the blue slightly like the "flag color" then you have a decent looking red uniforms with blue as an accent. But the accent color should be a sock color too.

And if we are talking about red helmets, have a red pants with white jerseys and have the accent color dark blue monochrome become the alt uniforms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

the only way the Texans can use this type of blue is if red is the primary color.

Stop. You believe that the darker navy is better and you are entitled to that opinion.  However, your declarative statement is 1) factually incorrect and 2) not supported by a single element of objective proof or evidence (despite you showing a random concept as "evidence" of your vision)

1) FC Dallas use both exact shades of the Texas flag (blue/281 C and red/193 C) and the colors work perfectly fine together... and while FCD uses red shirts historically, when they do use blue and accent with red, it's not a problem:

paul-arriola-goal-celebration-fc-dallas-

(I don't enjoy this kit myself, but its for design reasons and not color-related issues)

2) Some of the best color schemes in sports are a semi-dark blue accented with red. The Los Angeles Dodgers. The New York Giants. Paris St. Germain.

3) While we've never had an NFL team use 281 C in recent history, the New England Patriots used 280 C in the Flying Elvis era:

mtwcrioqdg9lwhf6yeut.jpg

...and then the original 90s Broncos used 282 C for the first few seasons as well:

elway.png

Again, this exercise can be viewed with a bit of side-eye because the assigned colors don't always line up perfectly with production fabrics or film photography from the time, but imagining a 281 blue shade that's in between those two would be unique for the Texans and a color they could own in the NFL: a blue that's darker than the Giants but lighter than all the midnight-navy teams (Bears, Broncos, Seahawks, Cowboys). Something akin to Fresno State's blue (which is also paired with red):

FRS_BulldogFB_08

4) You can use your own eyes and see that the flag blue would work perfectly fine with the logo and new uniforms:

5Jyob8F.png

bzIE1ft.jpeg

If you want to say that you wished the Texans used more red, that's completely fair and I might agree with you.  If your personal preference is that you like the darker navy to the flag blue, you're welcome to hold that opinion! However, these insinuations that the flag blue doesn't work with red and they would have to rearrange the entire color scheme to accompany such a change is simply untrue.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, GFB said:

Stop. You believe that the darker navy is better and you are entitled to that opinion.  However, your declarative statement is 1) factually incorrect and 2) not supported by a single element of objective proof or evidence (despite you showing a random concept as "evidence" of your vision)

1) FC Dallas use both exact shades of the Texas flag (blue/281 C and red/193 C) and the colors work perfectly fine together... and while FCD uses red shirts historically, when they do use blue and accent with red, it's not a problem:

paul-arriola-goal-celebration-fc-dallas-

(I don't enjoy this kit myself, but its for design reasons and not color-related issues)

2) Some of the best color schemes in sports are a semi-dark blue accented with red. The Los Angeles Dodgers. The New York Giants. Paris St. Germain.

3) While we've never had an NFL team use 281 C in recent history, the New England Patriots used 280 C in the Flying Elvis era:

mtwcrioqdg9lwhf6yeut.jpg

...and then the original 90s Broncos used 282 C for the first few seasons as well:

elway.png

Again, this exercise can be viewed with a bit of side-eye because the assigned colors don't always line up perfectly with production fabrics or film photography from the time, but imagining a 281 blue shade that's in between those two would be unique for the Texans and a color they could own in the NFL: a blue that's darker than the Giants but lighter than all the midnight-navy teams (Bears, Broncos, Seahawks, Cowboys). Something akin to Fresno State's blue (which is also paired with red):

FRS_BulldogFB_08

4) You can use your own eyes and see that the flag blue would work perfectly fine with the logo and new uniforms:

5Jyob8F.png

bzIE1ft.jpeg

If you want to say that you wished the Texans used more red, that's completely fair and I might agree with you.  If your personal preference is that you like the darker navy to the flag blue, you're welcome to hold that opinion! However, these insinuations that the flag blue doesn't work with red and they would have to rearrange the entire color scheme to accompany such a change is simply untrue.

WOAH man, I never said that flag blue does not work. But there are a lot of main blue accent red teams already. The Giants, Patriots, and Bills. All those three teams main the blue color. There is no red, white, and blue team that main red except for the Patriots throwbacks to their 1984-1992 look (the return to UCLA stripes with white or red facemask).

What I was trying to say is that it would be suitable if the Texans use the red if they were to go in the route of flag blue. But since they chose a very deep navy blue color that is darker than navy blue itself, I am fine with their new look. It's just that I said that if they were to go with flag blue, then they would have to make red a primary since the Giants, Patriots, and Bills are the three kings of the main blue and accent reds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

WOAH man, I never said that flag blue does not work.

"the only way the Texans can use this type of blue is if red is the primary color"  implies just that, and you never mentioned your reasoning about the other teams in any of your other posts.

5 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

I said that if they were to go with flag blue, then they would have to make red a primary since the Giants, Patriots, and Bills are the three kings of the main blue and accent reds.

Yes, the Texans could gain a unique footprint in the market by using red primarily in this hypothetical scenario. But with the same logic, they could also gain separation from those three teams by being the only denim/light-navy team in the league, as the Giants and Bills are in the royal blue spectrum and the Patriots are firmly in the dark-navy category (with the Titans, Seahawks and Bears).

2 minutes ago, GFB said:

"the only way the Texans can use this type of blue is if red is the primary color"  implies just that, and you never mentioned your reasoning about the other teams in any of your other posts.

Yes, the Texans could gain a unique footprint in the market by using red primarily in this hypothetical scenario. But with the same logic, they could also gain separation from those three teams by being the only denim/light-navy team in the league, as the Giants and Bills are in the royal blue spectrum and the Patriots are firmly in the dark-navy category (with the Titans, Seahawks and Bears).

Yes, denim? You are talking about the denim type blue the Seahawks used from 2002-2011?

• LOL 1

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

If the Broncos ever go navy over orange 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

GVepk9iWcAAsAyW?format=jpg&name=900x900

I wouldn't say these are fire but they're decent. Far better with a navy helmet than the white one. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 8/19/2024 at 4:59 PM, ruttep said:

I just don't see how a blue so dark it could be mistaken for black could "work out." But I guess it's what the Texans are stuck with for at least five years, so hopefully they make the most of it.

A darker blue and brighter red provide more contrast than the previous shades.

I don't think it's a failure to not use the exact same shade as the flag. And I was not a fan of updating the uniforms initially, but I think they did a solid job of evolving the last set, plus fan response has been great (on field performance doesn't hurt). All to say it doesn't feel like a failure of a rebrand. The broncos on the other hand...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Falcons red socks? 

It's just Pitts wearing red compression tights. and it only looks halfway good because he's wearing Red sleeves.

White Guardian cap helps.  Take that off and the Red sleeves out of the equation and it will look as bush league high school as it gets.

• Yawn 1

16 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

This looks like their best combo, even if it's just in Madden.

You just know that the navy jersey will only ever be paired with the white helmet, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ruttep said:

You just know that the navy jersey will only ever be paired with the white helmet, though.

You know, I think the Broncos always showed the navy jersey with white helmet, but I don't know if the alt jersey has to be paired with the alt helmet. The alt helmet must be with the alt jersey...but is it the other way around too? 

Jacksonville can still wear teal and black jerseys with the black helmet, correct? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

You know, I think the Broncos always showed the navy jersey with white helmet, but I don't know if the alt jersey has to be paired with the alt helmet. The alt helmet must be with the alt jersey...but is it the other way around too? 

Jacksonville can still wear teal and black jerseys with the black helmet, correct? 

The primary helmet CAN be worn with the alternate jersey!

• Like 1