College Football - 2024

Rixaroo

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

You're underrating how annoying it is when they do say the sponsor every time

Fair point.  I usually watch games with the sound off, so I'm blissfully unaware of all that.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

I'm always going to prefer a traditional look over some crazy gimmicky look, but this trend of EVERY team going back to either no striping or northwestern striping is just sad. TCU's diamond pattern may have been gimmicky but that one worked for TCU. I prefer college football with unique looks rather than a field of catalogue uniforms.

• Like 11

Boring downgrades like this are what I always think of when people start wringing their hands about Nike "ruining everything" in the pro leagues' threads.

If modern Nike had unlimited control over every sport and no input from owners or other design firms, every team would be wearing the plainest possible uniforms with no striping or anything to make them unique. Because that's exactly what they've been doing in college over the last few years where they do have that level of control.

• Like 7

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

TCU's diamond pattern may have been gimmicky but that one worked for TCU.

That pattern was traditional for TCU. It was the evolved form of the uniforms worn by LT and Dalton during their program's rise back to prominence.

People just call any plain-looking uniform "traditional" and "classic" when that's not what those words mean.

• Like 12

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

37 minutes ago, NH4 said:

Well Nike went back to the “give a team practice uniforms for their primary uniforms” for TCU. The spiked collar was super unique and now they look like a high school team

So...the uniforms were stripped down to simplicity, outside of the numbers. But the frogskin helmet are back....lateral move at best, underwhelming at worst. 

Could have at least kept the spikes and made them more subtle. 😐

• Like 1

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

1 hour ago, NH4 said:

Well Nike went back to the “give a team practice uniforms for their primary uniforms” for TCU. The spiked collar was super unique and now they look like a high school team

spacer.png

Edited by WBeltz
Added meme
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NH4 said:

I'll take a move from "obnoxiously bad" to "extremely meh", but yeah,  these just look like an exercise in using the delete key in Illustrator.

If the silver no longer looks like aluminum foil and the ridiculous red-trim alternate are no longer around, then that at least is a big plus in my book.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

3 hours ago, NH4 said:

Only saw the one photo ^^ are there two purple helmets, one chrome and one glossy metallic purple? Matte purple the last couple of years was ok, but glossy metallic purple just looks better. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, NH4 said:

One way to instantly improve these was to put the TCU logo on the sleeves instead of the numbers. And put the horned frog logo on the collar. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, NH4 said:

As much as I though the spiked collar look may have been a tad overdone, it was unique and actually did a lot of good for the team's look overall. I'm sad to see that all of the character from that look has been utterly drained. The custom font, purple/black color scheme, and selection of helmets do prevent the look from being too generic, but it is still very underwhelming. Just very plain. Would have liked to have a least seen a helmet/pants stripe in there, or maybe even a chest wordmark.

Also, 2 chrome helmets? What year is this, 2016? I thought this trend had started dying off. There were only a few holdouts left (Wake Forest, Kentucky, Western Kentucky come to mind).

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

New uniforms for Indiana to start the Curt Cignetti era.

Still the 2nd tier materials from adidas.

All black is dropped from last years set (thank god). Indiana replaces "Hoosiers" on the front, now in "Hoosier Bold" although the letters are much more spaced out than the official wordmark.

Pant stripes are dropped...sigh.

MYQa8JQ.jpeg
LKJj9cJ.jpeg

Uniforms are expected to be paired with these helmets. Again, dropping all of the black accents to return to a more traditional look.
helmet-cover-1280x720.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Rygi13 said:

New uniforms for Indiana to start the Curt Cignetti era.

Still the 2nd tier materials from adidas.

All black is dropped from last years set (thank god). Indiana replaces "Hoosiers" on the front, now in "Hoosier Bold" although the letters are much more spaced out than the official wordmark.

Pant stripes are dropped...sigh.

MYQa8JQ.jpeg
LKJj9cJ.jpeg

Uniforms are expected to be paired with these helmets. Again, dropping all of the black accents to return to a more traditional look.
helmet-cover-1280x720.jpg

is there a real reason why college teams have always seemed to change uniforms like clothes every few seasons?

• Like 1

spacer.png