College Football - 2024

Rixaroo

1 hour ago, Webfooter said:

Oregon going green/white/green this week for the Civil War.

OT: So the Big Ten won't allow this to be the final game of the regular season?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

The Big Ten does their rivalry week at the end of the season, with OSU/Mich, Iowa/Neb, Min/Wis, etc. So I imagine they have booked the former Pac teams to face off against each other that week every year.

It's the same reason Iowa/Iowa State is always week 2 or 3.

• Like 9

jNTsTyQ.png

7 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

6 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

The Big Ten does their rivalry week at the end of the season, with OSU/Mich, Iowa/Neb, Min/Wis, etc. So I imagine they have booked the former Pac teams to face off against each other that week every year.

It's the same reason Iowa/Iowa State is always week 2 or 3.

I think it's the same for the SEC, which is why Louisville vs Kentucky is always early in the year when they play. Georgia/Georgia Tech and Florida/Florida State are grandfathered in. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Big Ten wants Oregon vs Washington to be the last game of the season. But they gave both teams their bye week the week before, so theoretically they could have moved games around this season. And I don't believe future games for either series have set dates yet

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

1 hour ago, damnyoutuesday said:

Big Ten wants Oregon vs Washington to be the last game of the season. But they gave both teams their bye week the week before, so theoretically they could have moved games around this season. And I don't believe future games for either series have set dates yet

Currently Oregon's OOC is packed. They won't have an open game until 2029. So it is possible this is the last Civil War for a few years.

• Sad 1

Also, Boise St, Fresno, Colorado St & SDSU joining the Pac-12 in 2026. IF the new Pac gets to the 8 to be considered an FBS conference, I imagine they change to Pac-8. Ideally I could see them getting to 12 if they play the cards right.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10135099-boise-state-colorado-state-among-4-schools-to-join-pac-12-leave-mountain-west?fbclid=IwY2xjawFP3FBleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHalpFwXUEL8R9OxzN4AtAO0ticdR1nCiEho4-feZ2JGMzTKIhC76_CUTyw_aem_v9a5K4IuyoFZ7FqPb_ofdg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think it's the same for the SEC, which is why Louisville vs Kentucky is always early in the year when they play.

I could've sworn they've played each other in the final week of the season a few times within the last 10 years.

I Googled! This season the matchup is in fact the regular season finale for both teams.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I could've sworn they've played each other in the final week of the season a few times within the last 10 years.

I Googled! This season the matchup is in fact the regular season finale for both teams.

Looks like they finally allowed the switch with the removal of divisions.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Looks like they finally allowed the switch with the removal of divisions.

Huh?!?  They've been playing it as the season finale for a decade! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor's_Cup_(Kentucky))

• Like 2

"The guns have fallen silent.  The stars have aligned.  The great wait is over.  Come see.  It will not be televised."

1 hour ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Huh?!?  They've been playing it as the season finale for a decade! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor's_Cup_(Kentucky))

I knew I wasn't imagining that. I guess once Louisville joined the ACC, Kentucky and or the SEC deemed the Cards worthy enough for a last game of the season matchup.

Here’s a look at the full Civil War uni matchup:

Pretty amazing that we’ve never gotten this matchup in any of the previous 127 meetings. The closest we’ve gotten was green/white/green vs. gray/black/black in 2016 and we also got green/white/white vs. all-black in 2000, 2002, and 2004.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 9/11/2024 at 10:20 AM, WBeltz said:

You know what I want to see Arizona bring back? The copper helmets. It would look so good with this current uniform set. 

spacer.png

Arizona never won a single game wearing those. HARD PASS.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The striping inconsistencies on Minnesota’s new set just kill me. It’s especially evident with a monochrome combo like this, as there are completely different striping patterns on the jersey and pants despite being on the same base color. And then you’ve got the oar stripe on the helmet that, much like PJ Fleck in the college football coaching world, has way overstayed its welcome.

• Like 8

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

22 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I knew I wasn't imagining that. I guess once Louisville joined the ACC, Kentucky and or the SEC deemed the Cards worthy enough for a last game of the season matchup.

Louisville joining the ACC made rivalry week scheduling much easier for both conferences. Before, there were 3 annual SEC-ACC matchups, so either two non-rivals would have to play each other that week (Vandy and Wake Forest from 2007-13) or someone would have to have a bye week. Since Kentucky and Louisville were already playing annually, they agreed to move it to the end of the season to even the numbers.

The Big East probably didn't allow OOC matchups that late, and even if they did that doesn't solve the ACC's problem (and creates one for the BE). I guess there could've been an agreement between all 3 conferences to have Kentucky play Louisville and Boston College play UConn or something, but that's more complicated.

ExJworW.png