24-25 NBA changes

DJT

On 9/21/2024 at 12:02 PM, Lights Out said:

If Toronto fans are really excited about this, so be it. But to me, it'd be like the Clippers designing a jersey to honor Elton Brand. It just strikes me as weird from the team's perspective.

With respect to Elton Brand he wasn't a generational player like Vince Carter. It shouldn't be hard to understand why the Raptors appreciate him. Time heals all wounds and when you make a splash in the game AND in pop culture then you deserve to get your flowers.

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

On 9/21/2024 at 2:02 PM, Lights Out said:

On the other hand, he made a big show of refusing to dunk anymore and leaking the Raptors' plays to opposing teams during games. His departure was so acrimonious that he would get booed loudly in Toronto for years after the trade. He also still denies to this day that there was anything wrong with the way he left.

I'd understand it if he had won a championship or at least made the Finals there before that, but the Raptors accomplished very little during the time he was there. They won one playoff series together, that was it.

If Toronto fans are really excited about this, so be it. But to me, it'd be like the Clippers designing a jersey to honor Elton Brand. It just strikes me as weird from the team's perspective.

Is a Vince Carter/Elton Brand comparison really the example you want to use? Because anyone can tell you that is not even close to the same thing. Elton Brand was a bust compared to the career of Vince Carter (Brand had what, one really good season with the Clippers?). Elton Brand left no impact whatsoever on the Clippers franchise history, whereas Carter is probably the all-time face of the Toronto Raptors and slam dunk (pun intended) future hall of famer.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Only 6 city edition games for the Heat thank goodness. Our abysmal record in the Heat Culture jerseys finally made someone rethink that gimmick. 

I wish other teams would take a hint from that. My biggest grip with the City Edition is the frequency. For all of its other flaws, I'd live with it a lot more comfortably if they weren't being used 15-25 times in an 82 game season.

• Like 4

On 2024-09-21 at 11:51 AM, MauriceMorris13 said:

i would have preferred a lot if they'd go for the Parquet pattern they used in the first city edition, in green with gold accents, or white wiht green and gold, dark green i don't know but i hate to see a special jersey, which is yet something a lot of people would avoid, for the current champions being such an ugly and uninspired jersey, just like the nuggets. now i'm curious to check what the previous champions got from nike.

Design cycles are long; this jersey was in the works and finalized way way before anyone knew the Celtics would be champs, so having a commemorative jersey as a City isn't likely to happen.

Maybe we could bring back the tradition of gold-trimmed Opening Night jerseys for the champs, but those are generally one-offs for player wear only so it's a lot easier to turn around a set, as opposed to something like the standard jersey sets that will be distributed to retail.

(That said, the Celtics can always get away with metallic gold as a trim color -- really would like to see a black/green/gold alt from them, either like the statements but sub in gold for the white, or their Irish pub font City jerseys minus the Irish pub font.)

31 minutes ago, patatouille said:

warriors unveiled their classic editions. Also there's a little picture of this bridge logo that's in the third picture. I wonder if this will be the logo they put in the middle of the court design or if it's just something for the promo.

spacer.png

That logo is very similar to what can be seen on the anthem tag on the leaked City edition, so could be that they use the same court for City and Classic games.

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Another team with robinhood logo:

tfl-l-miami-heat-robinhood-patches-01.jp

Btw Wizards patch is slightly different than Grizzlies and Heat. It has that little thing below the feather on right side.

This set is 25 years old (minor changes here and there) and still looks great. 

• Like 18

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 9/22/2024 at 11:59 AM, tBBP said:

And now the Grizz have a new ad sponsor:

nIvsUrw.jpeg

JMOirdi.jpeg

Not the best look, for a multitude of reasons...IYKYK.

The lettering on Memphis's normal jerseys (Dark Blue and White) infuriate me so much. It's like you clearly can make the font bigger and even give it an arc/arch as in the light blue alternative but you refuse and give the cheap knock off look.

• Like 5

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

On 9/18/2024 at 7:28 AM, WBeltz said:

Milwaukee: I like that it's blue, I do not know what's going on with the line. Is it supposed to be a state outline?

Yes, the upper part of the state.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

13 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This set is 25 years old (minor changes here and there) and still looks great. 

I was a big fan of all the Nike designs from around that time. Mavericks probably aged the worst but both the Lakers and Raptors new sets are worse than what came before them, IMO.

A shame Nike 2.0 since 2017 has been a major disappointment.

• Like 3

Small update, the new retro Grizz merch is sold out everywhere in Vancouver and some retailers are on the waitlist to get more. I don't have any figures, but one retailer did say the Vancouver market is in the top 30 for NBA merch sales in the NBA, which would theoretically put it above some existing NBA markets (depending how you count the two NY and two LA markets).

• WOAH 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Klondyke said:

Small update, the new retro Grizz merch is sold out everywhere in Vancouver and some retailers are on the waitlist to get more. I don't have any figures, but one retailer did say the Vancouver market is in the top 30 for NBA merch sales in the NBA, which would theoretically put it above some existing NBA markets (depending how you count the two NY and two LA markets).

Wow, this makes me wish the grizzlies stayed in Vancouver after all 

• Love 1

2483115_nxeosjolm2c981k_full.jpeg

17 hours ago, FriedPickles said:

Wow, this makes me wish the grizzlies stayed in Vancouver after all 

At the very least, assuming the data point is true, it suggests that Vancouver could be a viable expansion market. But the league would have to commit growing by at least 4 more teams, since Seattle is a shoe-in for the next round, assuming there is another round. 

• Love 1