24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

EDIT: yeah, we're not arguing.  I think we're pretty much on the same page.

I wanna keep arguing with you, even though we're not arguing 🤣

May your football team start its season 0-1 tomorrow night 😁

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

52 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I wanna keep arguing with you, even though we're not arguing 🤣

May your football team start its season 0-1 tomorrow night 😁

No argument here! 16-1 is still a respectable record. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

White Sox Watch!

They lost again last night. They're now 33-113. An unbelievable 80 games under 500. 16 games left and they need to win 9 of them to avoid setting the all time loss record. If they go 6-10 they'll be the first team in the 162 game era to fail to win 40 games. Incredible. 

Remaining Schedule: one left against Cleveland right now, then 3 at home against the A's, three in Anaheim, three in San Diego, and then they come home for their last home series of the year with three more against the Angels, and then finish the season with three games in Detroit. Feels like the loss record is in the bag and I'm pretty confident they aren't winning 7 out of the last 16 to hit 40. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, Sport said:

White Sox Watch!

They lost again last night. They're now 33-113. An unbelievable 80 games under 500. 16 games left and they need to win 9 of them to avoid setting the all time loss record. If they go 6-10 they'll be the first team in the 162 game era to fail to win 40 games. Incredible. 

Remaining Schedule: one left against Cleveland right now, then 3 at home against the A's, three in Anaheim, three in San Diego, and then they come home for their last home series of the year with three more against the Angels, and then finish the season with three games in Detroit. Feels like the loss record is in the bag and I'm pretty confident they aren't winning 7 out of the last 16 to hit 40. 

I feel like the 2024 White Sox have been a bright spot of unity in an otherwise divisive year...

... Unless you're a White Sox fan, then you hate everybody and everything, even more than usual. 

47 minutes ago, McCall said:

I feel like the 2024 White Sox have been a bright spot of unity in an otherwise divisive year...

... Unless you're a White Sox fan, then you hate everybody and everything, even more than usual. 

And I hope the White Sox fans aren't taking my rooting against them personally. I'm mostly just pulling for history and the statistical curio that is a team this bad. It's got nothing to do with the White Sox and I have nothing against the White Sox and have always kind of had a soft spot for them as a long time Chicago Cubs disliker. 

edit: They're down 5-0 in the third. LOL

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

EDIT: never mind

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This Chris Getz quote is certifiably insane:

"If you would have told me we would end up flirting with the record, I would have been a little surprised. Now if you would have told me prior to the year we would have ended up with over 100 losses, 105/110, I would not have been as surprised."

"I had mentally budgeted for 110 losses but this is ridiculous" dude what. sub-.333 baseball is a catastrophic failure that takes everything possible going wrong and you were prepared for that? What is it that you even do? What the Sox are doing now, of course, is everything possible going wrong and then running into each other and getting hit with errant warmup throws like glitching NPCs. God, just bring back Kenny Williams and have him sign anyone he remembers being cool. It can't go worse than this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

he played 19 low-level games and pocketed $300k that they can't take back.  Not too bad!  And if he actually has potential, someone will scoop him up.

Just now, BBTV said:

he played 19 low-level games and pocketed $300k that they can't take back.  Not too bad!  And if he actually has potential, someone will scoop him up.

Not necessarily. This isn't even just dogging it. He literally was cheating to help his team lose. May not have been for gambling purposes, but how does a team know he won't do it again if he's unhappy with his situation for any reason?

19 minutes ago, McCall said:

Not necessarily. This isn't even just dogging it. He literally was cheating to help his team lose. May not have been for gambling purposes, but how does a team know he won't do it again if he's unhappy with his situation for any reason?

just because it seems like anyone with any talent in any sport gets multiple chances, with the exceptions being if they beat up a woman (and even then, only if it's on camera) or got banned for gambling.

If this is "just" immaturity and not found to be gambling related, and if scouts think he has potential, my bet is that he just gets a stern talking to and another chance.

Or not.

I'd be curious to see if the Fort Myers Mighty Mussels are as much of a nightmare to play for as some of the other low-minor horror stories.  At least that would minimally justify wanting the season to end and getting the hell out.

VmWIn6B.png