2024 Summer Olympics in Paris

8 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Simone Biles with the major shade to MyKayla Skinner

Don't shoot a shot you can't make! Skinner said a bunch of stuff that was ALL CAP. Simone looked like it waws all business, even though she knew they had that gold from the first routine. 

• Like 4

BMX and Skateboarding might be my two favorite events so far. It’s incredible how Olympic these two X-Games events feel, highly recommend watching the mens BMX final from today and both skateboard events. 

• Like 3

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Still awaiting Group A results, since they just started, but here's the Women's soccer bracket so far. Marta got a red card, so she may have played her last competitive international match unless she unretires for the 2027 World Cup, or Brazil beats the Group A winner. 

USA   v  Japan 8:00 AM   
Parc des Princes, Paris, France

Spain   v  Third Place Group A or B 10:00 AM    
Groupama Stadium, Lyon, France

2A - Colombia or Canada   v  Germany12:00 PM    
Orange Vélodrome, Marseille, France

1A -France   v  Brazil 2:00 PM    
La Beaujoire-Louis-Fonteneau, Nantes, France

Edited by MJWalker45
Canada leading 1-0 in the 85th minute, Colombia would be out on GD
  • Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Katie Ledecky is a cheat code in human form.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

43 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Katie Ledecky is a cheat code in human form.

She and Michael Phelps are from Maryland and are the most decorated swimmers in Olympics history in their respective genders

5 hours ago, walkerws said:

Don't shoot a shot you can't make! Skinner said a bunch of stuff that was ALL CAP. Simone looked like it waws all business, even though she knew they had that gold from the first routine. 

Yup. MyKayla looks like a total 🤡 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

BMX and Skateboarding might be my two favorite events so far. It’s incredible how Olympic these two X-Games events feel, highly recommend watching the mens BMX final from today and both skateboard events. 

as someone who cared very much about the X Games from a very young age, I remember there being a big discourse in the skate community about whether or not people wanted it to actually be represented in the Olympics, and I'm not sure why. is it "selling out" when skate contests have been a thing since the beginning? it definitely feels more prestigious than Street League. I maintain that the only reason skateboarding didn't become an Olympic sport much sooner is because of drug testing.

• LOL 2

53Ocz8U.png

Good lord, both 3x3 teams suck and sadly no Jimmer magic for the men and as for the women?  The injury to Cameron Brink hurt them big time.  Had Brink been healthy, there most likely would have been a story about how she's making her Olympic debut at the same time as her godbrother Steph Curry.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

as someone who cared very much about the X Games from a very young age, I remember there being a big discourse in the skate community about whether or not people wanted it to actually be represented in the Olympics, and I'm not sure why. is it "selling out" when skate contests have been a thing since the beginning? it definitely feels more prestigious than Street League. I maintain that the only reason skateboarding didn't become an Olympic sport much sooner is because of drug testing.

Definitely drug testing but, relatedly, the puffed-up suits that run the Olympic sports world didn't wanna hang with those sorts of crowds, and the sponsor universe around it didn't know how to make money off of these sports. Not that X Games hasn't also always been a giant branding expo, but for very different brands. Also helps now that ESPN basically punted on the X Games and the prestige has slid quite a bit there.

My feeling is, no one is making all skateboarders enter these competitions. If you wanna skate for the love of it, you can do that and stick to making videos (I assume that culture is all on TikTok now or something).

• Like 4

Thing with skateboarding in the Olympics is that it's missing what us who were kids in the 90s felt was the prestige event- vert half pipe. That was always the biggest event in the X Games and the Tony Hawk 900 was the X Games moment. At this juncture I'm guessing it's an insurance liability or something but it doesn't feel the same just having the street event but not the half pipe.

• Like 1

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I think it's more that halfpipe skating has always had ebbs and flows to it... it wasn't much of a discipline until the X Games made it happen in the late 90s, and then it fell off again when the X Games dumped it a decade ago. Seems like a generational blip. But street/park is forever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, walkerws said:

Haley Van Lith is so flat footed in 3x3. They're definitely not getting any calls either. 

She's not going to have a long WNBA career, if she has any at all. 

• Like 1

She won't make the next 3x3 team at this rate. Hamby didn't look great either. It's really fast paced so if you don't get your cardio, you'll get run out. We play 3X3 way different in the states. 

1 minute ago, walkerws said:

She won't make the next 3x3 team at this rate. Hamby didn't look great either. It's really fast paced so if you don't get your cardio, you'll get run out. We play 3X3 way different in the states. 

Honestly, they should have brought back Allisha Gray and Stephanie Dolson.  They'd have to replace Kelsey Plum and Jackie Young since they moved up to the 5x5 team.

• Like 1

I'm a casual viewer of the Summer Olympics. With that in mind, I have a couple questions that I hope you all can answer.

1. Simone Biles is 4'10" and I'm pretty sure she could dunk in basketball. Am I the only one who wants to see her do that?

2. Speaking of gymnastics, why is it that the men's team gets to wear tank tops and shorts, but the women have to wear those skimpy little outfits with their asses hanging out? I bet the women would be even better if they were allowed to wear comfortable uniforms.

rafJaZ1m.jpg

NDwrquSm.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

8 hours ago, walkerws said:

Edit.....Haley Van Lith strikes me as someone who will have a long career, but bounce around from team to team whenever they need a fresh body due to injuries.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I'm a casual viewer of the Summer Olympics. With that in mind, I have a couple questions that I hope you all can answer.

1. Simone Biles is 4'10" and I'm pretty sure she could dunk in basketball. Am I the only one who wants to see her do that?

2. Speaking of gymnastics, why is it that the men's team gets to wear tank tops and shorts, but the women have to wear those skimpy little outfits with their asses hanging out? I bet the women would be even better if they were allowed to wear comfortable uniforms.

rafJaZ1m.jpg

NDwrquSm.jpg

Tradition and their scores generally are on how graceful they are. I think the Germans wore full leggings last Olympics, so there are some options. I am slightly surprised that hte men don't have a tighter compression legging for some of the disciplines they do.