More on Angels name change to "Los Angeles"

B-Rich

Yeah, if the Angels want to be called the LA Angels, then if I was in control of Anaheim..I'd say "Go ahead", tear down Angel Stadium, and sell the lot to the highest bidder.

"Whas that? You don't have a stadium? Go to LA."

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's already done away with including "Anaheim" on anything relevant (uniforms, press releases, logos, etc.).  It seems the press is the only ones calling them "Anaheim."  I wouldn't be surprised, if "Los Angeles Angels" are not allowed, that he tells his staff to just call the team "The Angels," a la MLS MetroStars.

ANGELS BC(Baseball Club)!!! :P

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Lets just use both! :P

Signature intentionally left blank

If they change to Los Angeles Angels, it's like the Brooklyn Dodgers changing to New York Dodgers.

Well, not exactly. The Dodgers were named after Brooklyn when it was an independent city. It didn't become part of New York until later.

For my own part, I've never liked "Anaheim Angels." Anaheim is a suburb of Los Angeles, the team should be Los Angeles.

Buy the city of Anaheim out of the contract and let's give the team back its rightful name.

losangeles_angels.gif

How is this scenario different than the Dallas Cowboys playing in Arlington, and still being called Dallas, or the NY Giants playing in New Jersey, or the Redskins playing in Northern Virginia and still being identified as Washington? The Angels originally were the Los Angeles Angels anyways, why not let the owner of the team decide what he wants to call his team?

the redskins play in landover, maryland

.. and i think its stupid to be called the los angeles angels... doesn't even sound good

If they change to Los Angeles Angels, it's like the Brooklyn Dodgers changing to New York Dodgers.

Well, not exactly. The Dodgers were named after Brooklyn when it was an independent city. It didn't become part of New York until later.

For my own part, I've never liked "Anaheim Angels." Anaheim is a suburb of Los Angeles, the team should be Los Angeles.

Buy the city of Anaheim out of the contract and let's give the team back its rightful name.

losangeles_angels.gif

Technically I believe that Anaheim is indeed a separate city from LA, but it is in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. The folks in Anaheim hate to be called an LA suburb, that is part of the reason for this battle. That being said, I always hated the name Anaheim Angels. Doesnt sound right, I much prefer either the old California Angels, or Los Angeles Angels. There are Californians on this board who hate the name California Angels because they dont think its right that the Angels should represent the whole state. In any case I think they should settle this, and let Artie rename them the Los Angeles Angels, possibly in honor of the legendary Los Angeles Angels team of the PCL during their glory years of the 1920's to the 1950's. Would be a nice gesture.

metslogo_215.gif

They should be the "OCA" (Orange County Angels)

Actually, they should be anything but "California" Angels. I hate it when they're running down the scores and they say "Tampa Bay is at Florida today, Houston is on the road visiting Texas" etc etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You are right, but I knew that. Brooklyn was an independent city in the 19th century before of the famous Bridge of Brooklyn.

When I made that example of the "New York Dodgers", I minded about the Borough of Brooklyn in the late years of the Dodgers there. Do you understand me?

Remember that the Angels have an Mexican owner. So maybe he wants to put his team a more Spanish name... like Los Angeles.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

So, by this reasoning, the Brooklyn-based Dodgers should have been called the New York Dodgers. I mean, even when Brooklyn was an independent municipality, it existed in the shadow of New York City proper. A glorified "suburb", if you will.

The Angels don't play in the City of Los Angeles. The Angels don't play in Los Angeles County. The Angels are based in the City of Anaheim, a community of 328,014 (2000 census) in Orange County, which is located 30 - 35 miles from dowtown Los Angeles (by the way - even Los Angelenos admit that there home is "25 suburbs in search of a city"). The residents and civic leaders of Anaheim don't consider their community a suburb of Los Angeles any more than the residents and civic leaders of... oh, let's say... Oakland, California consider their city a suburb of San Francisco.

Which brings up a comparative situation: Nobody's ever suggested that Oakland, a city of 399,484 people in Alameda County should subvert the identity of their Major League Baseball club to the greater glory of San Francisco, a city of 776,733 people located a "stone's throw" away. Hell, the distance from the Giants' home at SBC Park to the Athletics' home at Network Associates Coliseum is just 17.1 miles. Compare that to the 30.9 miles from Dodger Stadium to Angel Stadium. So, if we're going to call "suburban" Anaheim's ballclub the Los Angeles Angels, why not call "suburban" Oakland's ballclub the San Francisco A's?

I know, I know... because the Angels once played their games in Los Angeles as the Los Angeles Angels. Come on! The team spent just four years of its 43-year history in Los Angeles. They haven't called LA home since the 1965 season. They've been know as something besides the Los Angeles Angels since before the Athletics arrived in Oakland! And Anaheim is no more a "suburb" of Los Angeles than Oakland is a "suburb" of San Francisco.

The team should be called the Anaheim Angels. Just because Arte Moreno wants to maneuver his broadcast partners into paying him more money for the Angels' television and radio rights by claiming to be a "Los Angeles" team, is no reason to disrespect Anaheim as the franchise's 39-year home - and the municipality that poured $30-million dollars into refurbishing the facility in 1996.

Thinking "aloud" here . . . .

I wonder if this has anything to do with Anaheim suddenly becoming a player in the NFL - LA derby. If Anaheim is willing to build a stadium to host an NFL franchise for Los Angeles, does this give Moreno the "justification" for his desire to switch the geographic moniker from Anaheim to Los Angeles? I was actually in Southern California (Lancaster) the week that Anaheim's interest in the NFL was made public and I heard nothing about conditioning the construction of a stadium on the use of the Anaheim name. What continues to puzzle me is why Moreno wants to change the name of the team so badly. If it's merchandise dollars he's looking for, he could always update the team uniforms once again - after all it seems the Angels of the 90's and beyond seem to be taking the role the White Sox of the 60's-80's in redoing their uniforms. It's puzzling to me the big deal about changing the name, logical or not.

Rumors of Moreno's desire to rename the team the Los Angeles Angels first surfaced last season... long prior to the NFL's recent overtures to Anaheim.

There are two reasons fueling Moreno's interest in re-branding the team as representing Greater "Los Angeles". First, he hopes to use the Los Angeles moniker as a means of increasing his season ticket base. He's anxious to up the number of season-tickets sold to fans in Los Angeles County, and he's convinced that folks living in areas such as the San Fernando Valley won't embrace the team if they're branded as representing "Anaheim".

Second, he wants to raise the value of the team's broadcast packages. If he markets the team as being a Los Angeles sports property, he's hoping to remind his broadcast and advertising partners that his franchise is located in the #2 media market in the country, as opposed to simply operating in Orange County where the franchise is geographically located. In this way, he's hoping to maneuver the broadcasters and advertisers into paying higher fees.

As for Anaheim's recent conversations with the National Football League, I'm sure that Moreno is following the developments closely. Despite the City of Anaheim's interest in playing host to an NFL franchise, and the league's interest in having the municipality serve as a legitimate candidate for a team in the "Southland", I have to believe that the NFL would be less than thrilled by the prospect of having their return to the region take place under an "Anaheim" identity package. The league's executives are assuming that a new Anaheim-based franchise would carry the "Los Angeles" place-name, just as the Rams did when they called the city home.

Now, if it turns out that the NFL is willing to pick up the entire cost of stadium construction in Anaheim, they may well be allowed to use the place-name "Los Angeles". Such financing is not out of the question, given that in Los Angeles, Coliseum officials have said that the NFL is so eager to return to the market that they've agreed to fund the extensive reconstruction plans entirely out of the league's coffers. The NFL would end up recouping they're investment in the form of a fee that they'll charge the owner of the team. So, unlike the scenario where Anaheim's lease with the Angels specifically calls for the team to use "Anaheim" as a place-name in exchange for the city's $30-million investment in the Angel Stadium renovation, Anaheim city officials could say that in exchange for the NFL's financing the entire stadium construction themselves, the NFL could name the team whatever it wants.

Anaheim City Manager Dave Morgan has said that city officials have not discussed whether to permit the NFL to put a Los Angeles place-name on an Anaheim team. When asked whether the city might be willing to allow the Angels to adopt a Los Angeles place-name in exchange for Moreno's backing in luring an NFL franchise to the community, Morgan replied:

"The council has expressed in very clear terms that they'd rather lose football than change the name (of the Angels). That's how important it is to them. But we don't think it needs to come to that."

Wow. So in Moreno's mind, having recently won a World Series and continuing to field a competitive team that's fun to watch isn't enough to base his plea for a broader audience and a bigger media rate? I'm not so sure he's on the right track. And besides, having spent more than enough time in the Valley, I can say with a fair degree of confidence that the drive to Anaheim is a substantial obstacle that no degree of "regional-appeal" marketing is ever going to mitigate. Getting to Chavez Ravine in ballpark traffic is enough of a schlep from Encino or Ventura. Anaheim? I think not.

It's almost a slap in the face from the Angels to the city of Anaheim. No ads in Orang County? Talk about alienating your fan base! For fans in LA, its a pain to get out there! Picture this: if someone buys the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and does the same thing. The Mighty Ducks of Los Angeles. The owner is then asked where do the Mighty Ducks of Los Angeles play? He or she would go, "in Anaheim of course!" :P:hockeysmiley:

If anything give credit to Disney for doing that one thing with the team, making it Anaheim's team.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I hear you, yh... but that's Moreno's mindset.

Methinks that Mr. Moreno is fast finding out that being the "White Knight" riding in to rescue the Angels' from the perceived clutches of the Disney "dragon" is an expensive and pressure-filled proposition. Not that he doesn't possess significant wealth, but he's feeling the pressure brought on by the Dodgers' resurgence in the public eye this season. As a result, he's scrambling for ways that he thinks will solidify the Angels' long-term viability. Add to that a bit of ego... the kind that gets a bigger kick out being associated with the "bright lights" of "Tinseltown" than with the laid-back lifestyle of Orange County, and I think you've got the impetus for Arte's "Los Angeles" aspirations.

And you've hit the nail on the head, Puckguy... Moreno's running the risk of losing the fan-base he already has established. The Angels season-ticket base is 65% comprised of Orange County residents. Why? Because they regard the franchise as Anaheim's team... Orange County's team. Just as Los Angeles residents will always regard the Dodgers as their team.

It's almost a slap in the face from the Angels to the city of Anaheim. No ads in Orang County? Talk about alienating your fan base! For fans in LA, its a pain to get out there!

But why spend money where the message has already reached the people? You don't advertise Butchart Gardens or Stanley Park in Victoria or Vancouver. You market it to Seattle and Portland where maybe people haven't thought about going there. That's a bad example as tourist attraction != sports franchise. But you get the idea. I think people in Orange Co. already know they have a team and have already made up their mind to buy season tickets or not.

Moreno's more than welcome to market the team to potential fans outside Orange County. It's just that he's taken the tack of ignoring Orange County entirely in his latest ad campaign. Angels' executives claim that its because they couldn't find billboard space in the OC. Come on! That's ridiculous.

Moreno should try to pick up some fans in Los Angeles County. However, the attempt to actually rebrand the team as the Los Angeles Angels is a "slap in the face" to the team's major source of support: the City of Anaheim and Orange County.

Moreno's more than welcome to market the team to potential fans outside Orange County. It's just that he's taken the tack of ignoring Orange County entirely in his latest ad campaign. Angels' executives claim that its because they couldn't find billboard space in the OC. Come on! That's ridiculous.

Moreno should try to pick up some fans in Los Angeles County. However, the attempt to actually rebrand the team as the Los Angeles Angels is a "slap in the face" to the team's major source of support: the City of Anaheim and Orange County.

Oh I'm not saying that he isn't alienating the fan base by changing the name. I can see not wanting to spend advertising money in your home area though. Preaching to the choir. Also, this doesn't apply in every case. A team like my Thunderbirds has to advertise whereever and whenever they can in Seattle just to get a few thousand people. I don't see Anaheim needing to do that. Yet.

Don't forget that road jerseys with "Los Angeles" in the chest could be selling very well among Hispanic people.

That is another point to be considered.

When the Dodgers started to make their road jerseys with the name of their city for first time after around 40 years, it didn't startle me.

It's clear that the Dogs are watching more over the Latin market.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Don't forget that road jerseys with "Los Angeles" in the chest could be selling very well among Hispanic people.

That is another point to be considered.

Compton Angels. Hmm. I like the sound of that.

or

South Central Angels. I think that gang already exists actually.

^_^

Archived