FedEx logo

schlim

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
people put way too much effort into these little nuances that hardly anyone notices.

...but as the article states, it's marketing genius.

Those who get it don't forget it, while those who don't get it don't feel like they're missing anything.

Personally, I had always debated whether it was intentional or not, consistently leaning toward the side that said "it's too perfect to be accidental". Turns out I was right. Terrific read, thanks for the link schlim.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

We were talking about this at work the other day as the FedEx man arrived. I feel really dumb for never noticing it. I'm also the guy that has trouble seeing both the face and the candlesticks...

And I call myself a graphic designer... :rolleyes:

I like putting cool negative shapes into my logos. I think it spawns a "Eureka!" moment with the viewer. Anyone can do a simple wordmark, but to put in a purposeful negative shape into it makes it seem more creative.

Some logos I like with that style are the Saturn auto logo (took me a while to notice the Rings f Saturn :P), FedEx and NBC.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I like putting cool negative shapes into my logos. I think it spawns a "Eureka!" moment with the viewer. Anyone can do a simple wordmark, but to put in a purposeful negative shape into it makes it seem more creative.

Some logos I like with that style are the Saturn auto logo (took me a while to notice the Rings f Saturn :P), FedEx and NBC.

I actually did that for a logo for the Highland Chamber of Commerce. I made an H that also formed 2 C's. And it also formed a road when it was a single color or faxed. They fax way too much around here. This was early in my employment, and its not my favorite, but the client loved it and that's all that mattered....

I can't find it right now...someday I'll post it.

What is special about NBC? what don't I see? I look at it and think "peacock". Is there something more?

nbc_logo.jpg

Anxiously awaiting a new Eureka moment.

FedEx is trying to play with your mind.

SHip ups.gif!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

No, dhl_ca_logo.gif is where it's at.

DHL SUCKS! We've used them twice and they've screwed up both times. Once delivering something for a tradeshow to the kitchen without a signiture and the other time it was 2 days later than they said it would be.

FedEx for me thanks.

Good read. I wasn't sure if the arrow was intentional or not. But it still doesn't explain the spoon. :D

Car logos can be tricky. I got the Saturn one right away. Earthlink has a similar look. Mercury is the stylized wings of Mercury, I think.logo.gif

Mazda is a hidden M.topnav_glo_img_04.gif

I think Mazda's old logo was a hidden M as well. The logo that had was a oval and at the bottom the oval came up and made a circle at the center of the oval. Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about?

What is special about NBC? what don't I see? I look at it and think "peacock". Is there something more?

nbc_logo.jpg

Anxiously awaiting a new Eureka moment.

I think its the fact that those are all the same shape, and then the little triangle at the top changes it from, stupid looking flower to genius peacock.

Good read.  I wasn't sure if the arrow was intentional or not.  But it still doesn't explain the spoon. :D

Car logos can be tricky.  I got the Saturn one right away.  Earthlink has a similar look.  Mercury is the stylized wings of Mercury, I think.logo.gif 

Mazda is a hidden M.topnav_glo_img_04.gif

I think Mazda's old logo was a hidden M as well.  The logo that had was a oval and at the bottom the oval came up and made a circle at the center of the oval.  Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about?

I think you're referring to this one

mazda1991.gif

"The shape in symbolises the characteristics of wings, sun and the circle of light."

As for the current one

"Capturing the spirit of Mazda, the stylized "M" evokes an image of wings in flight and symbolises Etude's flight towards the futue. The "V" in the centre of the "M" spreads out like an opening fan, representing the creativity, vitality, flexibility and passion that is Mazda. The symbol as a whole expresses the sharp, solid feeling that Mazda will be seeking in all of its products. The dynamic circle symbolises our readiless to spread our wings as we enter the 21st century."

http://www.fordmotorcompany.co.za/corporat...story/mazda.asp

By the way, pcgd, DHL really does suck. Heck they look cheap as well. I only threw it in there for the hell of it. ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived