Collapse of the Denver Broncos

Nick 1733

The Broncos went from being in total control of the division at 7-3 to probably out of the playoffs today at 8-6.

Coming into today's game Denver was still ranked in the top ten in both total offense and total defense and yet they have fallen completely apart.

I've noticed that this seems to have happened every singe year since 2000, they start off awesome and then fall apart towards the final stretch.

No playoff win since Super Bowl XXXIII with John Elway. There's some sort of conspiracy I tell you.

I really have no idea what's happening to Denver, something has to be fixed.

After the 2002 season they thought it was the quarterback, in comes Jake Plummer...

After last year they thought it was the secondary, in comes Champ Bailey...

After this year what are they gonna do?

SERIOUSLY!!!!!

For whatever reason, this team can't seem to show up to the big games. Whether it's a game they need to make the playoffs, or just a Monday Night Football game against a poor opponent.

I think motivation's a factor. I like Mike Shanahan, and I think he's easily one of the top 5 coaches in the league, but I don't think the players are listening to him anymore. I think he's a great coach, but he needs to step down as GM. The reason they start to fade down the season, as far as I see it, is because they lack depth at positions other than RB. Big injuries kill teams, but small ones seem to do the Broncos in.

The Broncos outplay just about every opponent, but they fail to convert on the key plays -- Quentin Griffin fumbling against Jacksonville, the blocked FG against Oakland (as well as many 3rd and shorts), the INT against San Diego, etc. All of those were situations in which we could've, and should've, won the game.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Broncos outplay just about every opponent, but they fail to convert on the key plays -- Quentin Griffin fumbling against Jacksonville, the blocked FG against Oakland (as well as many 3rd and shorts), the INT against San Diego, etc.  All of those were situations in which we could've, and should've, won the game.

Don't forget the pass that went through Watts' hands in the endzone before they tried the FG. Against Atlanta they easily could have come back if not for two plays; the INT returned for a TD and the pass in the endzone that hit off Watts' facemask and fell incomplete on 4th down.

Also, what the hell is Vermiel's problem, passing and going for TD's in the 4th quarter when you are up 42-10, what an ass, I will not forget this!!!

Here are my reasonings:

1. Jake Plummer is no good. For some reason, Denver fans are dissapointed and frustrated with him because of his INT's. Maybe they should have noticed that he had 3 20 INT seasons prior to coming to Denver and should've seen it coming. He has never been more than mediocre.

2. Not enough targets. Rod Smith is still good but he's old. Lelie has big play ability but is not consistant. Putzier?Watts? C'mon! they need a WR or TE.

3. Defensive Coordinator?? I'm not sure whop is or whether or not he does a bad job,. but just from observing you guys have talent on D but have breakdowns like this week and monday night vs. Oakland.

Howard1.jpg

Maybe its time to consider a new coach. Shanny has done nothing since Elway left and this collapse is bad, you cant tell me the Chargers have more talent then them no way should they have lost the division this year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Also, what the hell is Vermiel's problem, passing and going for TD's in the 4th quarter when you are up 42-10, what an ass, I will not forget this!!!

Dude I'm not being biased, but you can't expect a team to just shut everything down with 7 plus minutes left. I know the score was big enough, I just don't know why people think teams should just stop playing. Nothing personal there Nick, it was just something that has always bothered me.

Did the Hall return at the beginning take all the wind out of Denver's sail?

I think the team lacks a big play receiver and a new defensive coordinator (who's technically sound but motivationally focused).

Shanahan, the offensive minded coach he is, can no longer rely on his superior offense to win him games.

I wasn't able to watch the game today (not that I apparently missed all that much), but from what I've seen, the Broncos as well have fallen into the trap of using the pass to set up the run. Big mistake. Power running, for so long a trademark of the Broncos, opens up the passing game for Plummer, who in the right situation (i.e. where he can use the plays made for him, not have to make them himself) can be a successful QB.

Up in the 'Peg, I don't get all the Broncos coverage you guys do, so you may disagree with me. But that's what I've seen from watching a few games over the course of the year.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Maybe its time to consider a new coach. Shanny has done nothing since Elway left and this collapse is bad, you cant tell me the Chargers have more talent then them no way should they have lost the division this year.

.. But they only play the Chargers twice a year, and beat them once and should've won the second time, so it's not about the Chargers being more talented.

and SyPhi, I would agree with you, except that the the Broncos defense has been ranked high all season. I think the problem is that when their defense is good, they're good. But when they'e bad, they play really bad.

I've noticed from the papers here in Colorado, everyone likes to put the losses on the shoulders of Champ Bailey or Jake Plummer, mostly Bailey though, calling him a chump after one poor game. You can't expect the man to shut down WR's when the rules were set to favor the WR's even more this year.

I don't think Jake Plummers a bad QB -- if you watch the Broncos games, a lot of the INT's aren't his fault. He does try and make plays though, and when he does that, the team struggles. Oh well, this team has showed flashes of good football this season, and shown that they can be an elite team when clicking, so I look forward to next season.

IUe6Hvh.png

.. But they only play the Chargers twice a year, and beat them once and should've won the second time, so it's not about the Chargers being more talented.

Let me prove otherwise:

Chargers: 11-3 AFC West Champions

Broncos: 8-6

I can't be more simplisitic than that.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived