Hometeam Haulover III: MLB

AAO

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it's okay to make edits I went back and made some changes to mine. After thinking about it I decided the capitalized 'A' for the hat logo made more since after all. I also changed the home jersey per advice I received from Bill813.

My entry:

Mets-Haulover.gif

My thinking:

1. The Mets need to simplify. They're all over the place, and the introduction of black has made them confused and ugly. In their division, standing out means getting rid of clutter and embracing white space with no stripes. Also, the Mets should leave pinstripes to the Yankees and offer an alternative to the Bronx squad.

2. The Mets need to do a better job of referencing their predecessors in the NL - Dodgers and Giants - while creating a uniquely Mets identity.

3. The Mets should reconnect with the civic identity of New York to compete with the Yankees both locally and nationwide.

So I threw out the Mets current marks and kept the blue-and-orange colors. They draw both from the Dodgers (royal blue) and Giants (orange) as well as the New York city colors of blue and orange. I then based new wordmarks and cap logos on the typewriter-style font of the famous "I heart NY" signs. On the cap, the Y sits to the right and below the N, sort of like the NY logo of the New York Knights in the movie "The Natural." On the chest, the all-caps typewritten letters have a bit of motion to them. The letters are blocky caps, like the Giants used to wear, but they rise over alternate-color numbers like the Dodgers.

For an alternate, I had the image of a multicolored vest with a strong vertical element on one side that I could see kids wearing on the basketball court. I don't know if I achieved anything like that, but I went for a white vest with a single orange panel on the left front with an alternate NYC logo and a number, over a blue undershirt.

Finally, for patches, I referred back to Mets history by making a star-spangled version of their current NY cap logo (a la the old Giants) for home whites and a script M for the other uniforms.

20082614447.png

Decypher: I love it! I love the uniqueness and the detail of the logo. I like the fact that nothing TOO drastic was done to the uniforms or the colors. I have a feeling that some will think the logo with the detailed s and the compass may be too busy, and I can see that, but I like the overall idea. My only concern is if a hat company could actually put that much detail onto a hat logo. But thats really a moot point, great concept!

Tez: I like the chnage and feel it was the right idea. I always like when people are able to take C+C well and use it productively. :grin:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Any comments on the O-birds at all? I'm sure they need work...

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Any comments on the O-birds at all? I'm sure they need work...

Personally, I like the vest look. The Orioles have only used it one year, 1968. For your alternate jersey, I originally thought reverse the colors, black vest, orange sleeves (I've seen a version and it looked very sharp). But if you think about the oriole bird itself, with the orange chest and black wings, then your alternate would be the correct way to go. Along those lines, I'd consider black sleeves under the home vest as well. Speaking of the oriole bird, I would have liked to seen it somewhere in the design, perhaps as a sleeve patch. I like the Orioles uniform of old with the orange stirrups on the socks. As to your road jersey, you'd make every Orioles fan, not working in the warehouse very proud by including the city name. I'm not sure I'd go with the vest for the road. Block lettering was only used on the 1963-65 home jerseys, but it works for me on your road jersey, reminding me of the current SF road jersey. The Orioles put the numbers on the front of the jersey from 1958-present, with the exception of 1963-65, but I actually like your design which leaves it off the front. Your "O" home cap is one that is rumored to be an alternate this season (can someone give us the scoop on this?) Personally, although I have a couple orange O's caps, I really prefer the look of the black caps.

Take the above for what it's worth. I'm not a professional designer unlike many of the posters here. I just know what I'd like to see and moreover what I might buy. For example, I want an Orioles dugout jacket, but I just do not care for the Disney designer's "fun" bird on the sleeve, so I won't buy it. Hopefully, that bird will not make a return as a sleeve patch on the jersey either. (any scoop on this as well, folks?) Overall, I like many of the ideas you presented.

Bill813.png

that is a beautiful tiger buffalo soldier. i love the font youve used. do you mind me asking what it is and/or where i may get ahold of it? i think your set would be nearly perfect if you added orange accents, maybe stripes, maybe outlines.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Ok, GMS, i hate being the bad guy, but that awesome primary for your marlins entry is the exact same thing as nitroseeds previous post of a concept for another team. You did a great job selling it off to everyone else, and I'm not sure if you got permission from nitro to use it, but if you didnt thats not cool. That might explain why its not as cleaned up as the rest of your package. Just wanted to protect nitro and his work, thats all.

www.skyedesignstudios.com

Archived