Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

amare32

Well, foxsports and espn (the networks that cover baseball nationally and will have the biggest influence on whether it LA or ANA) still list them as the Anaheim Angels. However they will probably change after the march hearing. If they stick with calling them Anaheim and list them as such and use ANA as there initials then this thing will fail.

These guys all have deals with the league and if the leagues tells them to call them a certain name they have to do so.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

In keeping track with what new organizations are calling them espn.com changed the angels team page from anaheim angels to Los Angeles Angels dropping the "of" part. I don't think I've seen 1 news organization make the switch and include the "of" part.

Foxsports.com/sporting news still calls them the Anaheim Angels.

FWIW, The Score lists them in their ticker as the "LA Angels," and when I signed up for fantasy baseball on Yahoo! the other day, Angels players had the abbreviation "LAA" beside their names.

In keeping track with what new organizations are calling them espn.com changed the angels team page from anaheim angels to Los Angeles Angels dropping the "of" part. I don't think I've seen 1 news organization make the switch and include the "of" part.

Foxsports.com/sporting news still calls them the Anaheim Angels.

MVP Baseball 2005 has them as the Anaheim Angels.

So does Moreno know that he's, like, a total joke?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Except he is the one laughing. His plan is working. Everyone is calling them the LA Angels now and are dropping the of Anaheim part. Just like he wanted. The of Anaheim is there because of the lease.

Except he is the one laughing. His plan is working. Everyone is calling them the LA Angels now and are dropping the of Anaheim part. Just like he wanted. The of Anaheim is there because of the lease.

Hm. You're right. I guess everybody wins.

Yes, Moreno's happy now. However, the fact that the vast majority of media outlets have been so quick to ignore the "of Anaheim" portion of the team name could ultimately come back to haunt Moreno in the Angels' court battle with the municipality. The municipality will simply point to each and every incidence of the phrase "of Anaheim" being dropped from coverage of the team in favor of the Los Angeles geographic designation and argue that this is precisely why the Angels are knowingly violating the intentions of the lease's naming provision.

Maybe Moreno will just up and move the team to a suburb without an ego.

The most annoying thing, according to an ESPN article, is that despite all this hell to be the Los Angeles Angels, he still tries to omit a location in all the media guides, announcements, press releases, and stuff. They're just The Angels.

However, so far the Angels have won every hearing so far.

Actually, the Angels' request to throw out the core of the city's lawsuit was refused by Orange County Superior Court Judge Peter Polos this past Wednesday, so the team's record is not quite perfect in court.

Polos denied the Angels' attempt to toss out the two major counts in Anaheim's lawsuit, rejecting the team's argument that Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim satisfies the requirement to "include the name Anaheim therein", thus the court need not consider any other evidence. He stated that the city's argument "turns on the extrinsic evidence" and that "there's enough there" to let the case proceed.

While Polos ruled on January 21st that the city had "failed to show a reasonable probability" of winning a trial, at that time he had not yet reviewed former Angel president Tony Tavares' testimony on behalf of the city. Tavares has stated that neither the city nor Disney meant for the so-called "vague lease language" to be used so that another city could be added to the team name.

why can't they just use California Angels.   i never liked the "anaheim" angels, i start to think about those disasterious periwinkle uniforms that i hated.  thankfully good taste prevailed and they went red with Halo Å.  i can't see why they just can't use California Angels.

Los Angeles

San Diego

San Fransisco

Oakland

All of those cities are in California and already have a team. It would be wrong for the Angels to claim it's market as being all of California when all of these cities claim parts of the California market.

I know it has been done in the past, but that doesn't make it right.

Originally, the Angels were known as the Los Angeles Angels. In 1966, when the team moved to Anaheim, they became the California Angels, taking the name because they were the only American League team in the state at the time (this was before the Kansas City A's moved to Oakland in 1968).

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

So the media is ignoring the "of Anaheim" part? Looks like the city was right in its assessment of the damage incured by this move by Moreno. The lawsuit is, therefore, justifiable.

BTW, although people in L.A. and the rest of the U.S. consider Anaheim and all of northern Orange County as a suburb of L.A., the city of Anaheim and other OC cities HATE it. They've been trying to forge their own identity for decades, and it's a BIG deal to be considered a different area.

Archived