Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

amare32

There is very little consistency to team abbreviations on stadium scoreboards. At Fenway Park, for example, the Cubs and White Sox are CHI and CWS, while the Yankees are just NY while the Mets are NYM. I've also seen CHN and CHA, and NYA and NYN. Also, sometimes Pittsburgh is PIT and sometimes PGH. Montreal was MON in some places and MTL in others. And I once saw Philadelphia as PHL, although usually it is PHI.

The same with Phoenix, it's either PHX or PHO, or for Washington, D.C.--WAS or WSH. For Calgary, it's usually CGY, but someplaces I seen it referred as CAL.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is very little consistency to team abbreviations on stadium scoreboards. At Fenway Park, for example, the Cubs and White Sox are CHI and CWS, while the Yankees are just NY while the Mets are NYM. I've also seen CHN and CHA, and NYA and NYN. Also, sometimes Pittsburgh is PIT and sometimes PGH. Montreal was MON in some places and MTL in others. And I once saw Philadelphia as PHL, although usually it is PHI.

The funniest ones I've seen have been on the out of town scoreboard at Camden Yards. They use KAN instead of KC and TAM instead of TB. One time they announced that Esteban Yan was coming in to pitch for Tampa Bay, and the scoreboard said "YAN FOR TAM IN 7TH." Cracked me up.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

used to see PHO a lot, lately they've switched more to PHX. heck, if the name's short enough, i've seen the team name (or a shortened version) as the abbreviation:

Cubs: well, you know, CUBS

White Sox and Red Sox: SOX (no, both of em aren't listed as SOX when they play each other)

Orioles: O's

Mariners: can't recall, i'd imagine M's

that's all i can recall off the top.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I hate when they use UTAH for the Jazz... Let's just make it UTA :P

In the OHL they use ER for the Erie Otters, I guess it's the best option, it just bugs me.

I also feel the need to share the appreviation for a Bramption Battalion/Saginaw Spirit OHL game... BRA/SAG

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I also feel the need to share the appreviation for a Bramption Battalion/Saginaw Spirit OHL game... BRA/SAG

Hehehe...

I think though a bunch of places use BRM for Brampton.

I have no clue about Saginaw though.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

and heres my non expert opinion...........

I think we should wait for the outcome of the court case before re-disney-fying the Angels. This is far from a done deal. From a legal perspective, the city of Anaheim definitely has a case, and despite the legal opinions proffered around here, it's NOT a black and white issue depending on the exact language or wording of the lease. Neither is it simply an issue of loopholes for the teams lawyers to excercise and the judge to rubber stamp. If things were really that easy there would be no need for legal arguements or bar exams.

No matter how vaguely worded, the SPIRIT of the lease agreement is clearly, openly, and knowingly being violated by Angels owner Arte Moreno. This is evidenced by the teams blatant open courting of the city of Los Angeles and solicitation of MLB and media outlets to drop the "Anaheim suffix". Anyone with half a brain knows what the city of Anaheim's intentions were when they signed a lease giving the Angels free access to a swanky new baseball park. The only thing in it for the city WAS the NAME and by that standard the Angels renaming issue definately questions the legal fairness of the lease.

The courts will certainly listen to this evidence and the issue of whether the lease is fair for the city with the "Anaheim prefix" attached will be debated at length before any judgement is reached.

my money's on Anaheim, at least in the first round.

DEATH TO REEBOK

On the Camden Yards scoreboards, the Orioles are now O'S rather than BAL. I'm the only one who abbreviates Colorado as CRD and Columbus as CBS when they are in the same league. Colorado has seniority for the COL abbreviation in the NHL and MLS. I usually see CBJ for the Blue Jackets and CLB or CLM for the Crew.

I think we should wait for the outcome of the court case before re-disney-fying the Angels. This is far from a done deal. From a legal perspective, the city of Anaheim definitely has a case, and despite the legal opinions proffered around here, it's NOT a black and white issue depending on the exact language or wording of the lease. Neither is it simply an issue of loopholes for the teams lawyers to excercise and the judge to rubber stamp. If things were really that easy there would be no need for legal arguements or bar exams.

No matter how vaguely worded, the SPIRIT of the lease agreement is clearly, openly, and knowingly being violated by Angels owner Arte Moreno. This is evidenced by the teams blatant open courting of the city of Los Angeles and solicitation of MLB and media outlets to drop the "Anaheim suffix". Anyone with half a brain knows what the city of Anaheim's intentions were when they signed a lease giving the Angels free access to a swanky new baseball park. The only thing in it for the city WAS the NAME and by that standard the Angels renaming issue definately questions the legal fairness of the lease.

The courts will certainly listen to this evidence and the issue of whether the lease is fair for the city with the "Anaheim prefix" attached will be debated at length before any judgement is reached.

I think the City of Anaheim has no case here, the agreement was to have Anaheim a part of the team name, and it is a part of the team name, the only argument I've heard from the city was that the team name is confusing, which I don't think they can complain about.

It's a dirty move, but I'm pretty sure it's quite legal.

With that said, I find it odd that the city is saying this will cripple their economy and hotels revenue, considering most people go to Anaheim for Disney Land and couldn't give two craps about the Anaheim "always sold-out by local fans anyway" Angels.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Well, I think letterform's point is a sound one.

Sure, if you're looking at a literal translatin of the contract as written, the name still has "Anaheim" and it appears to be following the ruled.

But letterform's point is that a judge doesn't always just look at literal interpretations in making a decision. The "spirit" of a contract could also be a deciding factor, and clearly the spirit of this contract meant for this team to be the "Anaheim Angels".

I'm not going to make any predictions on this one. I think either side has a strong argument.

Well, it doesn't look good for the City of Anaheim. A Judge denied their request for a temporary injuction for the Angels to go back to Anahiem Angels. This is an indication that the judge will probably rule in favor of the Angels. It's not over yet but it doesn't look good for the Anaheim.

ESPN.com - MLB - Court denies order to halt Angels name change

The Angels site still has everything as "Anaheim Angels" or just "Angels", the MLB team pulldown menu still ahs them as Anaheim rather than LA Angels.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here is an idea. The local and national media continues to refer to the team as "Anaheim" or the "Angels of Anaheim". It is in their name and clearly differentiates the team from the NL Dodgers. What or who is going to stop the Sports Centers of the world from calling the team Anaheim? Moreno's silly name for the team then becomes moot. Perhaps the Orange County Register could start the trend?

The OC Register as a local entity might, but I can't see any organization with even a pretense towards journalism allowing an editorial to infect all sports coverage.

How's the Denver Post coming with that whole "We won't call it Invesco" thing, anyway?

Oh, the Post got a new Editor last year, and the whole thing was dropped.

They call it "Invesco Field" like everyone else now.

(just drove by the stadium a few hours ago)

The OC Register as a local entity might, but I can't see any organization with even a pretense towards journalism allowing an editorial to infect all sports coverage.

How's the Denver Post coming with that whole "We won't call it Invesco" thing, anyway?

Oh, the Post got a new Editor last year, and the whole thing was dropped.

They call it "Invesco Field" like everyone else now.

(just drove by the stadium a few hours ago)

And it should go the way of Pro Player in due course, considering Invesco as a mutual fund entity no longer exists (the funds were acquired by AIM Investments in 2003, IIRC).

Ah, the joys of working for a financial services firm... ^_^

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Man, that's what I hate about corporate names. I believe that if a team sells itself to a company, they should be bound to it for the life of the contract regardless what happens to the corporate entity. It would illustrate the folly of some of these naming deals.

The Astros still play at Enron Field. They made their bed, let them lie in it.

Archived