Rough Riders on way back?

Lonie Glieberman, the former President of the CFL's defunct Ottawa Rough Riders franchise, has indicated that he would look into reviving that team's name if he is successful in his bid to purchase the struggling, three-year-old Ottawa Renegades.

"If the (rest of the) ownership group and the fans were interested in that, and the league is supportive of that, then we would work with all parties. If they think it would make the operation stronger, we would definitely be willing to look at that," said Glieberman.

The name Ottawa Rough Riders is the property of Chicago businessman Horn Chen, the final owner of the former Ottawa franchise before it was folded by the CFL following the 1996 season. Mr. Chen's Ottawa-based lawyer - Philip Rimer - has said that it is likely that his client would be willing to part with the name... for the right price.

I don't follow the CFL that closely, but I always found it irritating that the league had two teams with the same name. I mean, sure Ottawa had a space between Rough and Riders, but it's still the same name.

I always wondered what Canadian fans, more familiar with the league, thought of that. Would a re-emergence fo the Ottawa Rough Riders be welcome?

I don't follow the CFL that closely, but I always found it irritating that the league had two teams with the same name. I mean, sure Ottawa had a space between Rough and Riders, but it's still the same name.

I always wondered what Canadian fans, more familiar with the league, thought of that. Would a re-emergence fo the Ottawa Rough Riders be welcome?

Well how do you guys feel about two teams with the same name in the AHL (ha, now your league is the butt of all jokes ;))

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Well how do you guys feel about two teams with the same name in the AHL (ha, now your league is the butt of all jokes ;))

There's two teams in the AHL with the same name? Shows how much I know.

The Rough Riders name has become associated with a lot of the nonsense that occurred during the last 15 years of the franchise.

Despite that, when the CFL was returning to Ottawa, most fans would have liked to have gone with Rough Riders again, feeling that a 120 year tradition and links to CFL greats like Russ Jackson and Ron Stewart made the name worth re-acquiring from Horn Chen. However, the new ownership group wanted a new name that would be associated with more responsible management.

Most people in Ottawa hate the Gliebermans, especially Lonie, but they appear to be the only people who are willing to support the franchise financially, and the people who are trying to keep football in Ottawa will embrace them in order to save the team.

Anyways, if the silliest son of a bitch ever to run a football team, Lonie Glieberman, is back in the picture, the team should definitely be called Rough Riders.

Honestly, I know the nickname "Rough Riders" has a long sense of tradition, but I rather like the new "Renegades" moniker. It was a fresh start to a new era, while giving a little homage to the past.

I remember back is '95 when the team ditched the Red & Black, for the radical red, navy and gold. It looked terrible. The nickname didn't fit the colors. Later they returned the colors to red & black but kept the new logo (which to me looked more like a cossack than a lumberjack that it was claimed to be). The 'Riders were know for being a laughingstock both on and off the field, so it was no surprise when they closed up shop. It was more of a surprise that the CFL took so long to replace them.

In a league of nine (soon to be ten?) teams, a team's identity is all the more crucial. I like having only one team being called "Roughriders" as I'm sure the people of Saskatchewan do too. A nickname should be unique and to be honest singular to one team in any sports league. Besides, I do recall there being a vote among the fans of Ottawa when the team was awarded asking them if they could have the nickname "Rough Riders" would they want it or would they prefer something else. In a landslide, the fans voted for something new, and while "Renegades" was neither my choice nor do I find it very orginal, it certainly fits an identity for a football club, and can be viewed as strong nickname.

Meanwhile the current ownership seems to remind one of Ottawa owners gone past. I know they're having severe trouble at the box office, but that's more of a reflection of how the team's being run than what the team's being called. I'm not sure returning the old nickname is a solution.

I don't care what the team is being called, if the fans feel they're getting a bad product by people who don't care, they won't waste their money. By the same token, I imagine if the team was being run by a smart and enthusiastic owner, the team could be called the "Thunder Chickens" and probably do better. Look at Hamilton if you'd like to see how a gung-ho owner can turn around a team's popularity.

Keep the current nickname for the team, and for the love of Pete, keep Lonie Glieberman and Horn Chen as far away from the CFL as humanly possible! They've done enough damage! :cursing:

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

and the first player they should sign...... Dexter Manley :D

Maybe Lonie has a new favourite player . . . the Fridge has been in the news, could be a bad omen for Ottawa <_<

. . . unless you're a baker

In a league of nine (soon to be ten?) teams, a team's identity is all the more crucial. I like having only one team being called "Roughriders" as I'm sure the people of Saskatchewan do too. A nickname should be unique and to be honest singular to one team in any sports league.

Thanks for the history lesson guys.

I agree with Bleujayone on this. It's such a small league, I'd think it would be important for each team to have its own distinct identity.

I'm curious: How did a team from Ottawa get to be called Rough Riders, anyway?

Back in the day there was an eastern and a western league the east had the Ottawa Rough Riders while the west the Regina Roughriders. somewhere along the way the two leagues merged to form the CFL and Regina renamed themselves Saskatchewan. I don't mind the Rough Riders being revived actually thin kit may help with ticket sales.

untitled-6.jpg

keep Lonie Glieberman and Horn Chen as far away from the CFL as humanly possible! They've done enough damage! :cursing:

I agree 100%--

and if they go back to Rough Riders-all the other teams shuld choose from the following-

Ruff Riders

Ruffriders

Ruff Ryders

Ruffryders

Rough Ryders

Roughryders

Ruff Riderz

Ruffriderz

Ruff Ryderz

Ruffryderz

Rough Ryderz

Roughryderz

Ruff-Riders

Ruff-Ryders

Rough-Ryders

Ruff-Riderz

Ruff-Ryderz

Rough-Ryderz

Look how many teams they could add!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived