Your Sports Hero - Inspirational wise

Alphabet Man

Mine will have to be Steve Badbury at the Witner Olympics in Salt LAke City, yes the last man standing, the guy who gave up, backed off and everyone just fell over, Bradbury, just said 'thank-you very much' and took home gold- Australia's first ever Winter Olympic Gold....

other inspirational Heroes include Aaron Hamill (toughness), Stephen Milne (his story, beign unselected through several drafts, got a place on the Essendon supps list, then went to the Saints rookie list, made his debut as a 21 yr old in Rd 4, 2001), Robert Harvey (won two Brownlows!), Andrew Gaze (600 plus NBL games), and a few others... i like inspiration

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

That girl who won a medal for Australia, Alissa Camplin I think it was...woah she's hot!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Jeremiah Trotter.

Because he proved that no matter how big you think you are, you are never too big to admit that you made a mistake and acted improperly / immaturely, and when you are ready to accept responsibility for your actions you can put everything behind you and still succeed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well......thankfully I've given up the youthful notion of looking up to athletes as role models. At least for examples on how to be a good man.

Michael Jordan broke my heart. I worshipped him growing up. I modelled my (lackluster) game after his as best I could.

Then he's revealed to be a gambler, an unfaithful spouse, a poor loser, an awful judge of talent (Kwame) and a tool in general.

Most men are weak and if you look long enough you can find cracks in character in anyone. But athletes are some of the WORST people to admire on earth.

With that said, there are moments of inspiration and determination and guts that are very inspiring. And those moments still do inspire if the person themselves does not.

Clearly Sterling Sharpe was a big influence on me. But I know very little about the man. His influence was strictly "on the field" and I still miss the way he played.

Spud Webb was a hero of mine......made me believe I could dunk someday at only 5'9".

Paul Molitor was too. No power, but just made contact and was one of the greatest hitters of all time. I tried to play like him.

Favre for obvious reasons. Toughness I could never duplicate.

Pat Tillman, Sean Jones, Hank Aaron (after the fact).....Jackie Robinson (also after the fact)

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Dave Stieb, Blue Jays pitcher. Whne I was playing soft ball, I wanted to be a pitcher so I could be just like Dave. Baaaaaaaaaaaad move on my part, I was a terrible pitcher. I was pretty good at 3B and OF though

Well, it says "sports hero" and not "athlete hero." Therefore, my choice is Pete Rozelle. Here's a guy who rose through the ranks, starting out in the press office of the LA Rams and wound up commissioner of a 12 team NFL. He took that product, which at the time was still playing second fiddle to baseball and to college football and he successfully found a way to market the game via television, managed expansion and a merger with the AFL and turned it into a multibillion dollar enterprise.

For a class act, and for a guy who always puts a smile on your face, I say Yogi Berra.

And I have a personal reason as to why I say Yogi.

When I was a kid, we would always travel once a year from central North Dakota to the Twin Cities to see a Twins-Yankees series. My dad was a die-hard Yankee fan, and we would always stay at the same hotel the Yankees stayed at -- the Radisson in downtown Minneapolis. Of course, this meant I would get a bunch of autographs.

One time, in 1964 when Yogi was the Yankees manager, he was standing in the lobby, giving kids autographs. There was a small line and I was in the middle of it. Somebody came over to him and said, "Yogi, you need to catch the bus for the stadium," or something like that. And Yogi replied, "No, I have to give these kids my autograph first. They've been waiting for me."

That was just pure class.

I'd have to say that the sports player who inspired me the most is Emmitt Smith. He was freaking awesome on the field, and the same way off the field. He's the all-around good guy IMO, and one of the rare athletes that a parent could appreciate their child looking up to. I'm gonna miss him playing ball though, but he's still one of my heroes.

Steve MOTHER FLUFFING Young

the man was OBSESSED with winning and would do anything to get it done. He was the quarterback but as far as Im concerned he was the toughest, most intimidating man on that field. He yelled at coaches, teammates, didnt matter. He tackled guys who picked off his passes, he blocked for his wide recievers, he even catches his own deflections for positive yardage. the man would NOT QUIT.

Jeremiah Trotter.

Because he proved that no matter how big you think you are, you are never too big to admit that you made a mistake and acted improperly / immaturely, and when you are ready to accept responsibility for your actions you can put everything behind you and still succeed.

:notworthy:

There is no more inspriational athleete then Lance Armstrong.

Just because he has one nut and is banging Sheryl Crow? Yeah that is inspriational. MMMMMMMM.....Sheryl Crow

Oh yeah there are those 6 nad killing Tour de France titles.

My two favourite althletes

Men

Mike Clemens: The current manager of the Toronto Argonauts. Simply the nicest guy you could ever meet and an absolute demon on the field. He was a great sportsman and continues to be an outstanding representative for the Argonauts organization.

Women

Cathy Freeman: The greatest race I ever witnessed wasn't Donovan Bailey's winning sprint in Atlanta 1996. It was Freeman's astounding 400m vistory in Sydney 2000. Watching her was almost surreal, and one of my greatest Olympic memories.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Archived