Which City Deserves an NHL Franchise

youcan'tseeme

Which City Deserves an NHL franchise  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dont think Cleveland could support an NHL team they dont even support their Barons AHL team. Thats why they are most likely gone at the end of next season.

I dont think Cincinnati could support one either. The Ducks only drew around 4000 a game at the 10000+ Cincinnati Gardens. The Cyclones drew very poorly at the US Bank Arena mostly because of 1 The Ducks were also in town 2 Prices were very expensive not just for tickets but for food and souvineers. Im not sure but I think they closed off the upper level for the Cyclones games and still had trouble filling the lower bowl. Besides many hockey fans go up to Columbus to see the NHL(if they arent locked out). Ohio has its team.

I would say Seattle, because Vancouver is a little lonely up there in the great Northwest, and Houston. The Aeros are a great team and the Toyota Center would be perfect.

Signature intentionally left blank

I voted KC, but Winnipeg would be good too. Seattle would need a new arena to have NHL, the KeyArena was made for basketball and when hockey is played there the rink is not centered in the arena. Houston would be my second choiced for a US team

Houston would be my first choice cause they are the largest markets not tapped yet. The 4th largest city in the U.S. should have been one of the first sunbelt cities in this league instead of being passed up by the likes of Nashville. This city has been forever on the board as "next in line" going back to the Gordie Howe days for the WHA's Houston Aeros. That team was supposed to be absorbed by the NHL but investors bottomed up before that could happen. Since then this city has always been a contender for every expansion round, but the fact that they didnt have a new arena always costed them an expansion team. Several times, they also have tried to steal the Oilers from Edmonton, most recently in 1999. Many Oiler fans know what I'm talkin about here...

Now they have a new arena and two willing investors who have been dueling each other since the last expansion round in Rockets owner Les Alexander (he tried to by the Lightning and Oilers) and Chuck Watson (Owns the minor league Aeros).

Mark my words...Houston is next this time....if the NHL still exists.

NYCdog.png

Seattle will never have a team as long as Key Arena is in it's current configuration.

As for fans? If they're here, they certainly aren't showing up for the WHL team we have now.

Why does any city need a team?

Also comparing a cities Minor League attendance to what a Pro team could bring is kinda silly. I'm sure MLB didn't look at the Bowie Baysox attendance and say "That area could never support a team."

Hockey minor leagues are probably full of more no-name players than is proportionately reasonable. Throw in the fact that most of them are from another country, so even far less known, and only true hardcore fans will attend.

I say contract, all sports, before expansion or relocation. Let's get the talent pool a little deeper and the product a little better.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I just want to know why SF and Oakland are choices. A team in San Jose is suffice enough in that market :therock:

Not to mention that the Blue Jackets take care of Ohio, so you've got Cincinnati and Cleveland covered....

I doubt the NHL will expand any time soon (Though, Bettman sure loved receiving those hefty expansion checks.), and you'd be better off relocating a team than starting from scratch. I think the next market tapped will be Portland or Seattle. I just can't see two Texas cities having NHL teams well-supported and deep-pocketed. Texas can support 2 NFL and 3 NBA franchises because their youth can play those sports year-round.

I doubt the NHL will expand any time soon (Though, Bettman sure loved receiving those hefty expansion checks.), and you'd be better off relocating a team than starting from scratch.  I think the next market tapped will be Portland or Seattle.  I just can't see two Texas cities having NHL teams well-supported and deep-pocketed.  Texas can support 2 NFL and 3 NBA franchises because their youth can play those sports year-round.

Texas isn't exactly a "niche" hockey market. What you may not know is that there are plenty of hockey rinks and quality players in Texas. For example the Texas Tornado is a formidable junior team who have beaten similar competition in the Toronto area. Furthermore, the Dallas Stars are well supported and I think Houston can easily support an NHL team as well.

I can only see three cities that would have an expansion/relocated team. Portland, Houston, Kansas City (provided they can build the Sprint Center)

and .... there will never be a second team in Toronto. Don't even think about putting a team in Hamilton :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Let's give Toronto another one :)

So that guarantees both ends of a HNiC doubleheader would involve Toronto? <_< Umm, no thanks.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

GOJETSGO!!!

I'm honestly pulling for Canada to get back up to 8 teams.

Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Jets, Maple Leafs, Senators, Canadiens, Nordiques.

It's just that simple.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

I went with Hartford.......bring back the Whalers and that classic logo!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

What? No Saskatoon?

But, seriously, I voted for Milwaukee just because of the way Wisconsin fans go ga-ga over the Badgers. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean an NHL team would succeed in Milwaukee.

Well, how are the Mil-Admirals doing in the AHL?

If there's one thing that irks me about the AHL, it's that TWO teams are nicknamed the Admirals: one's in Milwaukee, the other in Norfolk.

I always thought Norfolk Dreadnaughts had a good ring to it, eh fizzjob?

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Archived