No alts in the all star game

ltravisjr

I didn't catch the entire game last night but from what I saw, all the teams were wearing their primary uniforms. For that matter, it seems the last few all star games have been that way. Is this some sort of rule or something, or are the teams just choosing to present their "standard" look to everyone?

I recall back in the "mix & match" 70's and 80's, you would see alternate uniforms all over the place in the all star games. In fact, players on the same team often dressed differently (most often the case with the A's where you might see a green, white and yellow jersey on the field at the same time). It was chaotic, but I always liked seeing all the combinations on the same field at the same time. It seemed to add to the pageantry. Anyway, how do you all feel about it?

LT

I happen to like the idea of no alternates at the All-Star Game. It looks classier to me for them to just wear the primary unis.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Because this way with everyone wearing their individual team unis (how it should be), there is some distinction between who is on what team. White and Grey are in every team's set. If, say, Buehrle wore black, and Willis wore black, there's no distinction between AL and NL. That's why.

spikes.jpg

I like it that no alts were worn in the All Star game. It makes the two teams look more standard with the same basic color unis on. I remember seeing the 1995, I think, All Star game yesterday on ESPN Classic and the Indians in that game wore the navy road alts they had then. Also, after seeing the old Marlins uni that Conine had on in that game, I'm even more glad they ditched the idea of using mostly teal and using mostly black.

i don't know if this is in the primary topic but..it would've been nice to see either Beltran or Piazza (Mets) wear the blue cap w/ the road uniforms 'cause this woulde been the perfect oppotunity (forgive the horrible spelling) to see blue caps w/ the road uniform in live game for the first time in years

I think today's fashion might be a little different anyway. Back in that era, they different versions weren't really "alternates". It was mix and match, and every combination was as much a primary as any other, if that makes sense. I would be hard pressed to tell you what the Pirates home and away primaries were because they never seemed to wear the same combination twice.

LT

I didn't get to catch more than an inning or two last night, but I liked the look because, although the unis were different, they all held a certain standard...now if we can only get those SD unis in road gray.

KISSwall09.jpg

Did anyone notice the Majestic logo on the sleeves of the Yankee uniforms? I don't think you'll see that in a regular season game except for the batboys and the ballboys. How about A-Rod wearing the white spikes?

Did anyone notice the Majestic logo on the sleeves of the Yankee uniforms?  I don't think you'll see that in a regular season game except for the batboys and the ballboys.  How about A-Rod wearing the white spikes?

About the white spikes, I don't know the reason but I noticed Jeter would wear the white spikes in his past All-Star games too:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Turn...eterallstar.bmp

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

I really like the uniformity that comes with no alts. But I'm interested in what could be done with "cap tinkering" such as the Mets giving us the blue cap with greys look. It IS an interleague game, right? So shouldn't the Phillies players have been wearing the blue-billed caps?

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I really like the uniformity that comes with no alts. But I'm interested in what could be done with "cap tinkering" such as the Mets giving us the blue cap with greys look. It IS an interleague game, right? So shouldn't the Phillies players have been wearing the blue-billed caps?

I always wondered what caps the Phillies would wear if they were to ever make it back to the World Series, beings it IS interleague technically. My guess is that they would just stick with their regular all red caps. That being said, I dont think we'll be seeing the Fightins in the Fall Classic anytime soon :cry:

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I always wondered what caps the Phillies would wear if they were to ever make it back to the World Series, beings it IS interleague technically. My guess is that they would just stick with their regular all red caps. That being said, I dont think we'll be seeing the Fightins in the Fall Classic anytime soon :cry:

Spoken like a true Philadelphia sports fan. Amen, bro.

They should've worn the interleague hats last night, but I like the standardization of the colors. Since MLB allows everyone to wear their own game uniform (unlike the NFL, or NHL), having everyone wearing their alts would be confusing and would look ridiculous. White v. gray at least lets you know which side is which.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Did anyone notice the Majestic logo on the sleeves of the Yankee uniforms?  I don't think you'll see that in a regular season game except for the batboys and the ballboys.  How about A-Rod wearing the white spikes?

Yep I noticed it last night and posted about it here in the All Star game discussion thread in the Sports In General forum.

Well as a child of the '70s (which means I developed poor taste in uniforms a long time ago), I miss the alts in the ASG. I particularly liked it when the A's would have multiple All-Stars and one guy would wear green and the other would wear yellow. Just adds some color to the game and stands out -- good and bad.

I hope I don't sound too stupid, but why don't the players wear the All-star jerseys for the actual game?

Maybe because the All-Star uniforms look silly, and because that Selig wants atleast some creditability in this game.

I've allways wondered what a game with atleast one side in alts would look like, but the white vs. gray is perfect in my standerd.

I hope I don't sound too stupid, but why don't the players wear the All-star jerseys for the actual game?

I think it is so that fans get a chance to see each teams uniforms, because back in the day before cable and sattelite you may go a whole year only seeing your team's division's uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived