Baseball's Top Radio Broadcast Teams

Moser316

Ernie Harwell in Detroit, and Jack Buck in St. Louis (yes I know the latter two are retired).

not to mention one of them is dead.....

Yep a permanent retirement...I forgot he died, how embarrassing. B)

or an team winning saying like:

Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" to "Strike three and the Sox Win!

I don't see any other broadcasters coming up with unique home run or player names, on the radio like:

"A thrilla by Godzilla!"

An A-bomb from A-Rod!" , "Alexander The Great conquers again"

"Burn, baby, Bern!" , Bernie goes boom!"

The Giambino strikes again!"

Back to back, and belly to belly!" (After back-to-back home runs)

THE BAMTINO!

The Sianara Kid

I know people think that hs sucks with Suzyn Waldman in the booth, but it's only their first year together and they will get better. They seem to always have some good chuckles in the booth.

Again, i don't see how anyone can compare the great Yankee broadcasting to nasal, stale broadcasting of other equally great teams. :wacko:

In my opinion -- that great saying is one of the things that makes Sterling bad -- along with his ridiculous nicknames -- Giambino? Lame, and not as creative as you seem to think.

"The Yankees Win! Theeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" is contested only by "Put it on the boooooooard! YES!" and "He Gone!" by the ChiSox commentator on WGN as the most annoying sayings in sports television or radio.

IUe6Hvh.png

The worst announcer has got to be Fran Healy who does Mets TV games he says teh same phrases all the time and seems to be rooting for teh Mets to lose.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

"The Yankees Win! Theeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" is contested only by "Put it on the boooooooard! YES!" and "He Gone!" by the ChiSox commentator on WGN as the most annoying sayings in sports television or radio.

Honestly I kind of like the originality of the chisox announcer's calls...my buddies and I repeat them all the time and we aren't even sox fans.

oh yeah and i gotta say the worst by far was chip caray on the cubs broadcasts with his "Swung on, Belted" phrase for every single home run.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

growing up listening to ernie harwell seems like it was a privelege nowadays.

especially when i have to listen to plop like skip fluffing caray.

have another drink, skip.....yes, we know when you're on the road you use verizon wireless....we just don't need to be told every commercial break.

don sutton should be taken out of the hall of fame for his broadcasting inabilities. and his perm.

joe simpson is actually refreshing compared to those two buffoons.

Those of you who haven't heard the Twins broadcasting team are missing a treat. John Gordon is solid, Dan Gladden offers great color commentary and Herb Carneal, although you can tell some of his age in his voice, is what he is -- a Hall of Fame broadcaster.

Don't get me started! Chris Bergman? He was horrible durng the All-Star Home Run Derby. I can't see why ESPN likes this guy soooo much.

Is it the Canadian in me or what?

Back, Back, Back, Back, Back....Goooooone!

Berman is genius right up there the late, great Howard Cosell.

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

Those of you who haven't heard the Twins broadcasting team are missing a treat. John Gordon is solid, Dan Gladden offers great color commentary and Herb Carneal, although you can tell some of his age in his voice, is what he is -- a Hall of Fame broadcaster.

Yeah the Twins announcers should be among the top in the AL

I think L.A. has improved dramatically in the past couple seasons. By the end, Whitey was (just my opinion) tough to listen to.

Thank God they stopped making LA do those asinine "Shallow Thoughts". Oh, they hurt after about the 2nd or 3rd game. And forcing Harry to ask him if he had any thoughts... :evil: it hurts my stomach just thinking about it.

The TV broadcasts would be OK if it was just Harry and LA the whole game. I really can't stand Wheels.

Frickin' Wheels. He was the other guest of honor at a dinner my Little League team got invited to after winning our league title in 1989. What you see and hear during the games is what you get in person. Bleuh!

On the radio side, Scott Graham is a good PBP guy, but doesn't really exude any kind of personality. Same with McCarthy.

I actually think they're both getting better, but Scott Graham is working too hard to be less bland. His attempts at a catch phrase - "put this one in the win column for the Fightin' Phils!" - sounds so contrived and unnatural, my joy at a win is tempered by hearing it. Style should be developed over time, and he's just forcing it so much it's backfiring IMO.

I don't care if Harry is on TV or radio; if he goes to radio, I turn the TV sound down and turn up 1210. Same with Eagles' games, so I can enjoy Merrill (and Mike Quick, since I have no choice but to endure him) on WYSP.

Yeah, Quick is brutal. If there's a less articulate broadcaster for a pro team, I haven't heard him. I do get a good laugh, however, when Quick announces the "Matt Blatt Splat" of the game.

Merril is just incredible to listen too. Even when the team is 3-13, he makes the games great. He's not a "company guy" either, and will criticize players / coaches when they blunder. I only get to listen to him during the road games, since I work at the stadium for the home games.

Gene Hart was also a HOF caliber broadcaster. I was upset at first when he got dumped from TV and put on radio, but he was even better on radio then TV. The current TV broadcasters for the Flyers (JJ, Coatsey, and Dornhoffer) may be the worst in the league. Tim Saunders and Propp are pretty good on WIP though.

Good night... and good hockey.

-Andy

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How did the Yankees team end up so high?

As a die-hard Yankees fan, it is painful to listen to Sterling and Waldman.

The Yankees TV announcers a little better with Michael Kay on play-by-play, but I like it best when Kay is off. That leaves us with an excellent combination of Bobby Murcer and Jim Kaat. But we only get that once in a while.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I'll settle this once and for all.

Harwell WAS the best EVER.

Scully is the best NOW.

Kalas SHOULD be ranked no worse than 4th in the NL.

and Tampa Bay has found one more thing they suck at :P

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Scully is the best NOW.

and Tampa Bay has found one more thing they suck at :P

Harwell was great but better than Mel Allen or Red Barber, I think not.

I completely agree with the rest of what you listed after that though.

Scully is the best NOW.

and Tampa Bay has found one more thing they suck at  :P

Harwell was great but better than Mel Allen or Red Barber, I think not.

I completely agree with the rest of what you listed after that though.

You're right!

Mel Allen was pretty good too.

Being liflelong Tiger fan and growing up with Harwell, well, you see I'm a bit biased.

Some of you may understand when I say Harwell was like my second father, the one I never knew. When your father is away on business all the time and the only male voice you hear at night is Mr. Harwell., well, you get the point.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

The worst announcer has got to be Fran Healy who does Mets TV games he says teh same phrases all the time and seems to be rooting for teh Mets to lose.

You hit the nail dead on the head. I hate Fran with a passion. I'm surprised Keith Hernandez (or myself even) hasn't shot him yet.

Luckily, they try to keep him off the WB telecasts on the weekends 99% of the time. :woot:

njd.gifnym.gifpats3gr8.jpg

Archived