NHL Off-Season 2005/06

Suigi

pollux, in these uncertain times we need sources, man!

Usually type in www.tsn.ca or www.nhl.com and you'll have your answer.

Otherwise I would have stated it as a rumor.

And thanks OMMF.

No prob. I know you wouldn't be one to spread some wacky rumor.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok who needs a goalie? Edmonton, Atlanta, Las Angeles, New York Islanders, Colorado and Phoenix. All those teams need a #1, and Checkmanik, Joseph and Dunham are still on the market...oh where oh where will these 3 goalies end up?

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Ok who needs a goalie? Edmonton, Atlanta, Las Angeles, New York Islanders, Colorado and Phoenix. All those teams need a #1, and Checkmanik, Joseph and Dunham are still on the market...oh where oh where will these 3 goalies end up?

I'd love to see CuJo back in Edmonton, but that's not happening. The Oilers would be very lucky to end up with a player like Dunham.

6uXNWAo.png

NYI signed Garth Snow long-term for the backup role, they've got DiPietro ready to take over as starter, so they're not goalie shopping. I'd imagine the Oil are going with Markannen and Conklin since both are signed. I thought I had heard that Atlanta was ready to go with Lehtonen but I'm not sure about that. Leaves only LA looking for a starter.

Dunham's probably out, he's going to be back to being a backup. The rest depends on the money, I'd guess.

so if giving minnestoa a second chance worked out, then why not give a second chance to markets like qc and winnipeg (where the support for hockey equalls or supasses that of the twin cities)? if minnesota worked, then winnipeg will work just as well, if not better.

I think jkr covered the major points here (market size, arena, etc), but I'd like to point out the irony--which has apparently gone unnoticed by you--in your assertion that Pittsburgh's team, which has been there since 1967, should be taken away because those other four markets "deserve a team more."

As for Minnesota... well, I think that was a choice made correctly by the league for expansion. Minnesota is not only a reasonably large market (of those places not already having a team at the time), but is also a reasonably large market with a long-standing hockey history. As for some of the other expansion cities, the jury remains out on those selections, in my mind. Columbus seems to be strong, contrary to my initial reaction. Nashville is currently (relatively) steady, much to everyone's surprise (hell, they just made their first Big Name acquisition). Atlanta... well... er...

The only one of those four markets you mentioned with any clout whatsoever at this point would be Kansas City. While not a huge market, it's still a pretty major city, and the city is building a new arena, which gives them a big bonus. Winnipeg's new arena is pretty small, by NHL standards, and as someone pointed out they're not selling it out now as it is. Hartford and Québec aren't even on the map.

Oh, yeah, and Yzer? Whine whine Eastern Conference whine whine whine. :P;) Besides, Columbus and Nashville are both further east than Detroit, so I imagine they'd be better candidates to change conference should a team move westward. My scenario a few years ago was: if Pittsburgh moved to Portland, the Columbus moved to that division in Pittsburgh's place, Portland went into the Northwest, and Minnesota moved to the Central, bringing them back into the old Norris Division fold.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

LA signed Jason LaBarbera away from the Rangers. That, IMO, is a pretty smart move for the Kings. Labs has had some killer seasons in the A with Hartford, but hasn't gotten much big time since the Rangers like to keep drafting goalies into their system.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

LA signed Jason LaBarbera away from the Rangers. That, IMO, is a pretty smart move for the Kings. Labs has had some killer seasons in the A with Hartford, but hasn't gotten much big time since the Rangers like to keep drafting goalies into their system.

The most likely scenario is that LaBarbera will play back-up to the very talented Mathieu Garon. The Kings think quite highly of this young man, and until he falters, the starting job's his to keep.

Cechmanek was a major disappointment, proving he only plays well with a stacked (and uninjured) team in front of him to save his ass when he gets caught out of position.....basically, every other shot.

I think Garon will do quite well as long as he keeps his wits about him. We'll have to see, though...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

My scenario a few years ago was: if Pittsburgh moved to Portland, the Columbus moved to that division in Pittsburgh's place, Portland went into the Northwest, and Minnesota moved to the Central, bringing them back into the old Norris Division fold.

Now if only you can find a way to get Toronto back into that division.

I saw, I came, I left.

Oh, yeah, and Yzer? Whine whine Eastern Conference whine whine whine. :P;) Besides, Columbus and Nashville are both further east than Detroit, so I imagine they'd be better candidates to change conference should a team move westward.

Nashville's in the Central Time Zone, though, which makes it fit better with the Western Conference. Anyway, IIRC, Detroit, Nashville and Columbus are all further east than Tampa but no one's clamoring for them to head to the West.

Actually, I agree that Columbus is the better replacement for Pittsburgh, but back when the Sabres and Senators were looking shaky, the Wings management was pushing to take their place in the Northeast should one of them move west. I'd imagine they'd push to take Pittsburgh's place, too.

Archived