Home come some sports require quiet....

ebod39

I was at the US Open today watching some incredible tennis when I started to wonder why some

sports, such as tennis and golf, require the crowd to be quiet. Yet other sports

that have just as much pressure and take just as much skill have noise all game long.

I know serving a tennis ball at 125mph takes skill and great mechanics but

I had always thought hitting a major league fastball was harder. So why

don't sluggers ask for silence while batting? I'm sure Tiger could still whack

the crap out of the ball with people cheering. I honestly don't think one sport is harder

than another that it requires the type of concentration that you need quiet for.

I was at the US Open today watching some incredible tennis when I started to wonder why some

sports, such as tennis and golf, require the crowd to be quiet. Yet other sports

that have just as much pressure and take just as much skill have noise all game long.

the crap out of the ball with people cheering.  I honestly don't think one sport is harder

than another that it requires the type of concentration that you need quiet for.

Because golfers and tennis players are whiney assed cry babies that can't play a real sport? Okay not really. I think it has something to do with the origins of their games. They are considered gentlemen's (and ladies') games, I don't think the spectators were the hootin' and hollerin' sort. Tradition has followed suit. That's my $.02.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

the crap out of the ball with people cheering.  I honestly don't think one sport is harder

Because golfers and tennis players are whiney assed cry babies that can't play a real sport? Okay not really. I think it has something to do with the origins of their games. They are considered gentlemen's (and ladies') games, I don't think the spectators were the hootin' and hollerin' sort. Tradition has followed suit. That's my $.02.

Yup

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I totally agree and it's the first thing I thought of but it seems

strange that it hasn't evolved even a little bit. For me the question is more

about the psychology of needing the quiet. It bugs me that players get

all bentout of shape when a camera clicks or people move

in the background. I mean c'mon, you could still drive the ball down the fairway

regardless. No one complains when a thousand people are waving and

slamming thunder sticks as a guy is trying to make a clutch free throw.

So yes in a way, I think some athletes are wussies, for letting things get to their psyche.

Tennis isn't quiet. Ever watched a women's match? Their grunts are louder than the jets landing at the airport next door.

That does bring up a godd point. What's the point of the crowd being quit when the venue was built right next to a major international airport and the tournament is played at a time when the planes fly directly over the venue.

My beloved grandpa played tennis. With his words and examples about this sport, I understood that tennis is a sport with gentlemen codes.

You see a match at Wimbledon... they are playing wearing white... it's tradition as the friend gregjigga5 had said.

Since its inception, each sport was going adding codes (not necessarily as written sport's rules)... golf and tennis always asked the crowd to be quiet.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Duh...they're quiet because they get turned on by the women grunting and moaning in physical extertion and excitement.

--Roger "Think Again?" Clemente.

What if the two women are Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

That does bring up a godd point. What's the point of the crowd being quit when the venue was built right next to a major international airport and the tournament is played at a time when the planes fly directly over the venue.

About as much logic as building it next to an MLB ballpark and having the tournament during the season. But it leads to some out of place sights when going to Mets games. I was on the 7 going to last Thursday's game and I'm overhearing conversations on how great Martha's Vineyard is this time of year. :blink:

As for the topic, these were the sports of etiquitte and require properness. It's just gotten to the point where no matter how much the world has changed, these rules have become accepted and won't change. Imagine if the crowd booed everytime a tennis player didn't score a point after a hit while they were still in the middle of play. It would feel/look weird, right?

njd.gifnym.gifpats3gr8.jpg

They reroute aircraft away from the National Tennis Center during the US Open. In fact it's the best time to go to Mets games because of the lack of airplane noise.

Part of the reason crowd noise is discouraged during tennis matches is because players need to hear the chair ump about whether a ball is in or out. As for golf, I say you ought to be as loud as you want to be.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Part of the reason crowd noise is discouraged during tennis matches is because players need to hear the chair ump about whether a ball is in or out. As for golf, I say you ought to be as loud as you want to be.

But is Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Hockey they all need to hear the ref/ump and they have crowd noise. Doesn't the chair ump have a mic.

Part of the reason crowd noise is discouraged during tennis matches is because players need to hear the chair ump about whether a ball is in or out.  As for golf, I say you ought to be as loud as you want to be.

But is Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Hockey they all need to hear the ref/ump and they have crowd noise. Doesn't the chair ump have a mic.

Referees from those sports are usually gesturing while they talk, as opposed to the chair ump who's simply sitting there speaking in a mic.

And also, having played hockey in a sold out arena with very noisy spectators, you know what's going on and you always hear the referee.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Archived