Bears in white at home...

dirwuf

I'm pretty sure the Packers have never worn white at home too, but that's just a guess.....I didn't like the Bears in white, although I was at the game and it was pretty hot, I still don't think it's a good enough excuse, unless you're from say Texas or Florida. But to echo the sentiments of others, ya can't argue with the results :D and yes I'm going to come out here and offically state that Joey Harrington is a bust.

CBS said it was a balmy 76. :rolleyes:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And yes those Bears unis with the black pants are God-awful.

First of all they're not black, they're navy blue.

Secondly, the dark pants go way back in team history. It's what the Bears wore when beating the Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 NFL Championship game.

Whatever, they're still butt-ugly. This may be one of the only times I argue against tradition. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I believe this was a first for a regular-season game. They did wear white for a few exhibition games in the early 90s.

It's not at all unusual for teams to wear white at home early in the season. It's still warm out so they choose to go with the light colors. It's that simple. And yes those Bears unis with the black pants are God-awful. :D

It IS unusual for the Bears to do it. To my knowledge, they never have.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I believe this was a first for a regular-season game. They did wear white for a few exhibition games in the early 90s.

It's not at all unusual for teams to wear white at home early in the season. It's still warm out so they choose to go with the light colors. It's that simple. And yes those Bears unis with the black pants are God-awful. :D

It IS unusual for the Bears to do it. To my knowledge, they never have.

blue falcon,

yeah, they did. back - awaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy back - in 1940.

tb

I'm pretty sure the Packers have never worn white at home too, but that's just a guess.....

The Packers have worn white at home a couple times that I know of.

The earliest example that I've been able to find was in 1938, where they added a white jersey to their scheme so as to avoid confusion with the visiting navy-clad Cleveland Rams. Funny - when the Rams came to town in 1952 the Packers weren't feeling so magnanimous, and both teams played in gold uniforms.

The Packers also experimented with a white helmet and uniform in 1954, but I don't know at how many home games, if any, they wore it.

If anyone knows of specific dates when the Packers have worn their modern white uniforms at home, let me know and I'll update the database.

The earliest example that I've been able to find was in 1938, where they added a white jersey to their scheme so as to avoid confusion with the visiting navy-clad Cleveland Rams. Funny - when the Rams came to town in 1952 the Packers weren't feeling so magnanimous, and both teams played in gold uniforms.

The Packers also experimented with a white helmet and uniform in 1954, but I don't know at how many home games, if any, they wore it.

If anyone knows of specific dates when the Packers have worn their modern white uniforms at home, let me know and I'll update the database.

The Packers played their first two home games in 1989 in white jerseys. Lindy Infante believed that Vinny Testaverde - then QBing Tampa Bay - was colorblind and couldn't tell his team's orange unis from other teams' whites. (To disguise this a bit, he ordered the Packers to wear white for the first two home games).

The Packers lost them both, 34-7 to the Rams and 13-10 to the Bucs, and haven't worn white at home since.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

The earliest example that I've been able to find was in 1938, where they added a white jersey to their scheme so as to avoid confusion with the visiting navy-clad Cleveland Rams.  Funny - when the Rams came to town in 1952 the Packers weren't feeling so magnanimous, and both teams played in gold uniforms.

The Packers played their first two home games in 1989 in white jerseys. Lindy Infante believed that Vinny Testaverde - then QBing Tampa Bay - was colorblind and couldn't tell his team's orange unis from other teams' whites. (To disguise this a bit, he ordered the Packers to wear white for the first two home games).

The Packers lost them both, 34-7 to the Rams and 13-10 to the Bucs, and haven't worn white at home since.

I remember those games, and the fact that they had to wear their dark jerseys in Tampa Bay during the "Creamsicle" years (because they always wore white at home to start the season)...

QPR%20Sig.png

<QUOTE>In 1989 the Packers hosted Tampa Bay in week one and New Orleans in week 2. I do believe they wore white against both, but they did beat the Saints.

I'm a Saints fan and I can vouch that the Saints wore black in their last regular-season visit to Lambeau Field in 1989 and lost the game, 35-34. Saints return to Lambeau in regular season for first time in Week 5 this year.

gothamite,

as far as the packers go, the all white uni that you speak of was worn for road games only in 1957 and 1958. i'm pretty certain of this.

they had a white helmet with a navy stripe, white jerseys with navy numerals (front, back, sleeves) and navy northwestern stripes on the sleeves. white pants with a single navy stripe on the sides and white socks with navy northwestern stripes. not a hint of yellow trim on any of this.

tb

gothamite,

as far as the packers go, the all white uni that you speak of was worn for road games only in 1957 and 1958. i'm pretty certain of this.

they had a white helmet with a navy stripe, white jerseys with navy numerals (front, back, sleeves) and navy northwestern stripes on the sleeves. white pants with a single navy stripe on the sides and white socks with navy northwestern stripes. not a hint of yellow trim on any of this.

tb

Timmy B, what do you think the best way is to conduct research on uniforms? I for one would LOVE to get hold of copies of old ESPN Sportscenter or Prime Time, or the HBO series This Week In The NFL. That's really the only way I can complete my research!!

I'm using an Excel sheet for each NFL team to track what teams wore during each game. The only ones that are 100% complete are 1998-2004/05. My favorite Steelers one is complete back to around 1972, since I have seen so much of their stuff in videos and magazines.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

The Colts have worn white at home ONCE since moving to Indy. It was when they introduced blue pants to begin the 1995 season. They wore white jerseys/blue pants at home on opening day vs. the Bengals and lost in OT. They then wore that combo at Buffalo and at the Jets, but by the time they returned to Indy to face St. Louis, they had gone back to their normal home blue and the blue pants were never seen again.

The Packers played their first two home games in 1989 in white jerseys. Lindy Infante believed that Vinny Testaverde - then QBing Tampa Bay - was colorblind and couldn't tell his team's orange unis from other teams' whites.

I love it every time I hear this theory. I guess it never occured to Lindy that Vinny did quite OK in picking out the U of Miami's orange jerseys.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Archived