#1 Texas

JQK

I think that Texas deserves the nod for play on the field. The computers don't base their ratings on opinion, they only base it on play on the field. Texas has just played more like a number one team recently. Besides, it'll be short lived. If both win out, USC will end up back on top.

But I agree that the BCS is still bull:censored:. Bring on a playoff.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

OK I have one thing to say about the UT aka Texas Longhorns. Being that this is the first time I have actually posted on here I will keep it somewhat nice. From all of us OU the one and only OU Boomer Sooner and all the Texas fans can have their glory his year and this year alone. Talk to me in 5 years and 7 National Championships later. But as far as this season goes.... Go Virginia Tech. For obvious reasons I can not root for either one of these Texas or USC!

As I had mentioned in another thread, I saw UT play in person this year and have to say that they played a rather sloppy, penalty-laden game and still put 51 points on a Mizzou squad which is turning out not to be as dreadfully bad as I feared. They also put 45 points on OU, shattering what appeared to be a pretty substantial psychological barrer against winning the Red River Shootout. And then this week they found a way to stifle Mike Leach's high octane TTU offense and put 52 on the board themselves. Meanwhile USC struggled early against a sadly underperforming ASU team, nearly lost to a Notre Dame squad which already had posted a loss against a mortal MSU team, and has looked fairly mortal themselves on defense. I can certainly see why there would be a case at this present point in time for UT to be atop the poll.

Let's look at some things here:

USC is 7-0, the same as Texas. Computers don't know who's won the past two years and who's won how many in a row over the past 3 seasons. Eventually, USC plays stiffer competition, while Texas' next 3 games involve teams with a combined Big XII record of 1-11. Texas moved up because they played a now 1-loss team, whereas USC played a team that has 1 win.

Let's play out the season before we start bashing the BCS. For all we know, there could be just 2 undefeateds at the end of the year.

Let's look at some things here:

USC is 7-0, the same as Texas. Computers don't know who's won the past two years and who's won how many in a row over the past 3 seasons. Eventually, USC plays stiffer competition, while Texas' next 3 games involve teams with a combined Big XII record of 1-11. Texas moved up because they played a now 1-loss team, whereas USC played a team that has 1 win.

Let's play out the season before we start bashing the BCS. For all we know, there could be just 2 undefeateds at the end of the year.

That's a great point, and I think it points out a problem with the Human polls, they tend to take past years into account. College football will be better off when the get a playoff and get rid of the stupid polls, both computer ans human.

College football will be better off when the get a playoff and get rid of the stupid polls, both computer ans human.

I'm not a proponent of the playoff system. We'd still be in a mess, but with more teams involved. If you setup an 8-team playoff, how many teams will have an arguement at being #8. Would you take a BCS-conference 2-loss team, a mid-major 1-loss team, or a 2-loss Notre Dame? And just imagine all the hoopla over a 16-team playoff. There would be a lot more 1-, 2-, and possibly 3-loss teams to sort out than just 2 undefeated or 1-loss teams for one game.

They could realistically pare it down to the BCS top 4, match up #1/#4 and #2/#3. Winners play one extra game the weekend after New Year's for all the marbles.

The problem is, no matter how many teams you include in the final championship tournament set-up (2, 4, 8), there's always going to be the Best Team Not In The Tournament. Hell, people gripe about it when their basketball team is #65 and left on the outside looking in. You're never going to satisfy everyone; but the regular season is supposed to weed out all the others, and one extra game should be enough to eliminate all the undefeateds until 1 is left standing.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

College football will be better off when the get a playoff and get rid of the stupid polls, both computer ans human.

I'm not a proponent of the playoff system. We'd still be in a mess, but with more teams involved. If you setup an 8-team playoff, how many teams will have an arguement at being #8. Would you take a BCS-conference 2-loss team, a mid-major 1-loss team, or a 2-loss Notre Dame? And just imagine all the hoopla over a 16-team playoff. There would be a lot more 1-, 2-, and possibly 3-loss teams to sort out than just 2 undefeated or 1-loss teams for one game.

Yeah, I think with a playoff, you would have teams complaining that they should be the #8 team in the country -- but at least with that, the teams that went undefeated, took care of their business, and did everything they could do over the course of the regular season aren't being screwed.

IUe6Hvh.png

Here's the main flaw with the BCS... the strength of schedule. For instance, USC beat Arizona State when they were a ranked team, yet they're computer ranking suffers because of what happens weeks after the matchup. There is no factor in the computer rankings for injuries, or for a team going into a tailspin AFTER a tough loss. The rankings should only take into account the schedule strength at the tim of a matchup.

VmWIn6B.png

Yeah, I think with a playoff, you would have teams complaining that they should be the #8 team in the country -- but at least with that, the teams that went undefeated, took care of their business, and did everything they could do over the course of the regular season aren't being screwed.

however if you get rid of the poll sand set up some sort of tie-breaker (I.E: Strength of Schedule) you get rid of the complaints becasue opinions are out of the equation.

College football needs to figure out if they want a true champion or not. If so, then a playoff system is probably needed. I'm not sure exactly how DII does their championship, but why not something along those lines? To all the authorities that say that a tournament would be too hard to do for whatever reason, DII can do it, and with smaller budgets.

If college football wants to keep the bowl system (which I suspect they will, it's all about the benjamin$, if you get my meaning), they have to face the reality that there will be situations where there is no "true" champion. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the BCS was created to eliminate "disputed" championships, and have an absolute #1 team. When USC won the AP title two years ago and it was recognized by the BCS with their "back-to-back" championship last year, it undermined everything the BCS was created for.

A big gripe I have with the BCS is it's weighted towards only the big conferences. If a "mid-major" (i.e. TCU) can become ranked in the top 25, it is clearly possible that they will could become a top team in the nation one year. Why shouldn't they get a shot at the title? It's not a question if they could win, it's a question that they don't even have the opportunity. Which is total crap in my opinion.

In my opinion, the BCS is a failed system, and I love it when there are 3 teams that are championship quality (LSU, Oklahoma, USC - 2003; Auburn, Oklahoma, USC -2004), because it highlights the fact that college football can't determine a true champion. I doubt if it will change because the powers that be love that fact.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Why not do a 16 team tourny based on polls? It would be tough for a #17 team to argue that they had a legit shot at the title.

Everyone wants it but they will never give it to us because of the money from the bowls.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived