With Boston and Now Chicago AL Winning The W.S....

robbman21

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So with the Red Sox winning last year and the White Sox winning this year, do the Cleveland Indians now own the longest championship drought in the American League? :blink:

Out of teams that has won the World Series previously, yes, Cleveland has the longest AL championship drought at 58 years. The second longest for teams that have previously won is Baltimore's 23 years drought. The true second longest streak belongs to the Texas Rangers, who haven't won the World Series in 45 years of existence(if you count the Washington years) or 34 years if you don't. The other teams to never have won are Seattle and Tampa Bay.

In the NL, the longest streak is, obviously, the 98 year drought for the Chicago Cubs. The second longest is the Giants, who have gone 52 years without a title, while the third belongs to the Astros franchise with a 44 year drought. In the NL, the Expos/Nationals, Brewers, Astros, Padre and Rockies have never won.

Here's something to think about: This is the second straight year where a Sox team has won the final eight games of a World Series title run while defeating a team from the NL Central in the World Series and breaking a drought of 86 years or more. Phew, that'll be the only time you need that stat.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Cubs never really got up. They peaked after a decent year and blew it in extraordinary fashion. Now Dusty has them playing dusty ball (no fundamentals, defense, or consistency, all while dusty makes idiotic comments to the press about his boy bonds and does little to no actual coaching) and Hendry has his hands tied with what to do with these guys. Not a great time to be a cub fan.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Here's something to think about: This is the second straight year where a Sox team has won the final eight games of a World Series title run while defeating a team from the NL Central in the World Series and breaking a drought of 86 years or more. Phew, that'll be the only time you need that stat.

What a luck that there is not any Blue Sox in the AL. :lol:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Chicago Shawn and gashouser hit it on the head. Dusty, poor bullpen, Wood doing his best Clemens impression (can't win big games), and a greedy owner all equal misery for Cubs fans.

Its kinda weird when one of your second basemen who's never been considered a gold glove fielder, goes to your biggest rival and is contending for a Gold Glove one year later. Cubs Luck strikes again.

I consider it to be 86 years since the Curse of the Black Sox got started (that would be 1919), instead of 88 years as most people keep saying.

That's right...Curse of the Bambino 1918-2004, Curse of the Black Sox 1919-2005.

...Curse of the Billy Goat 1945-?...

Time it right, and the Cubs could win their first championship 100 years after their last one (1907-2007).

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

I consider it to be 86 years since the Curse of the Black Sox got started (that would be 1919), instead of 88 years as most people keep saying.

That's right...Curse of the Bambino 1918-2004, Curse of the Black Sox 1919-2005.

...Curse of the Billy Goat 1945-?...

Time it right, and the Cubs could win their first championship 100 years after their last one (1907-2007).

That makes no sense, by your logic the Red Sox Curse would have been only 84 years long. Because that's when the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth (1920). So if we go by your theory the White Sox Curse was still older and longer the the Red Sox curse.

And the last itme the Cubs won the Worlds Series was 1908 not 1907.

By one year.

It took the Red Sox 86 years to win a World Series. It took the White Sox 88 years. My Atlanta math tells me that's a difference of two years. ;)

Well, yeah, but I was referring to the year that the Red Sox/White Sox won their last title. Chicago 1917, Boston 1918.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

By one year.

It took the Red Sox 86 years to win a World Series. It took the White Sox 88 years. My Atlanta math tells me that's a difference of two years. ;)

Well, yeah, but I was referring to the year that the Red Sox/White Sox won their last title. Chicago 1917, Boston 1918.

HL's math is correct on this one.

PART 1. The White Sox won their last title 1 year before the Red Sox.

PART 2. The White Sox took 1 year more than the Red Sox to win their title.

1 + 1 = 2.

49erfan would only be right if the teams started their title droughts in the SAME year; then the difference would only be the 1 year extra it took the White Sox to end their drought. Clearly, the droughts started in different years.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

A few of you have mentioned "Dustyball" which brings me to something else.I have thought since mid-season that Bob Brenley may be scoping that job from the broadcast booth.I dont know what ties to the Cubs he had prior to replacing Steve Stone...I never knew he had any honestly...so when the Dusty rumbling got heavy mid-season I thought Brenley may be in the booth just keep him on hold until Dusty runs hisself out of town.

With Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee playing so well one can forget about their mis-attempts at Jim Thome and Scott Rolen,both of whom actually wanted to be Cubs.But with Corey Patterson flopping out it shows again how they bothced-up by not going after Carlos Beltran like it was predicted they would....even though he did not have a great year with the Mets.

They dump Mark Belhorn after a nice 2002 and he becomes a WS hero for the Red Sox.Mark Grudzeilanek(SP) is healthy all year and puts up nice AVG and OBP% with the rival Cards(Todd Walker was solid though),Tom Gordon was a great late-inning stopper for the Yankees...all guys the Cubs let move on and those are just the notables.

The past 2 off-seasons I've heard about how the Cubs were going to spend a little bit more and make a serious run at it and I'm sure Peter Gammmons will say the same thing about this offseason but time will tell.Sure they have brought in Lee,Burnitz,an aging Maddux,and Todd Walker in the past couple of off-seasons but they still have'nt made that serious signing for somebody.Nomar perhaps but they traded for him and then when he couldnt go anywhere they signed him to a one-year "make-good" deal.

The next couple of months for the off-season will be interesting to see what the Cubs do now that the South Side has a ring.

98Falcons.png

The Cubs have no excuses they are in Chicago they are a global team they have fans all over, they can spend they can get the stars they just have always worked on the cheap.

they also can't fit 55,000 fans in park every night -- not sure if that's a significant impact, but i'm sure it doesn't help the team to have such a low capacity

The Red Sox seem to manage without a huge stadium... :P

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The cubs at least recently have been focused on getting talent on the roster. The trib milked our patience to it's bitter end, and now must at least attempt to put a winner on the field. Unfortunately Sosa exploded like his corked bat and roid-filled head, Patterson has dellusions of Griffey, Ramirez's groin is made of thread and he dogs plays, Nomar was brought back for a GREAT year, and wood and prior both did their thing and got hurt. Prior had a solid second half, but I guarantee you him and Wood'll both get hurt this next season, and the team will halfass it's way through another lousy year and point fingers. Until Dusty's fired, this team'll be in dissaray. The guy I wanted and was very bummed didn't get the job was Joe Girardi, now in Florida. That guy was meant to be a Cub skipper. Hopefully this Florida gig is only to cut his teeth while he waits for dustys ass to hit the bricks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The cubs at least recently have been focused on getting talent on the roster. The trib milked our patience to it's bitter end, and now must at least attempt to put a winner on the field. Unfortunately Sosa exploded like his corked bat and roid-filled head, Patterson has dellusions of Griffey, Ramirez's groin is made of thread and he dogs plays, Nomar was brought back for a GREAT year, and wood and prior both did their thing and got hurt. Prior had a solid second half, but I guarantee you him and Wood'll both get hurt this next season, and the team will halfass it's way through another lousy year and point fingers. Until Dusty's fired, this team'll be in dissaray. The guy I wanted and was very bummed didn't get the job was Joe Girardi, now in Florida. That guy was meant to be a Cub skipper. Hopefully this Florida gig is only to cut his teeth while he waits for dustys ass to hit the bricks.

I agree with you. As much as I dislike the cubs as a Cardinals fan, I really do want to see them good. It should always be those two teams at the top of the central as I'm concerned.

Plus I don't want to lose the season series to a crappy team again :D

I like the cardinals, but I hate their illinois fan base. The fans in the city, they're fine. Most of the ones I've met are nice, somewhat obnoxious when drunk during a cubs/cards series, but that's to be expected. The card fans in central illinois are usually jerks, and no offense to you. Their mostly just rude pricks who have a god complex because the cardinals have had some good teams. I know for a fact that 98% of the cardinal fan base is classy, but there's always some bad apples. Cub fans are usually drunken idiots who mostly look around for a nice set of jugs and a 10 dollar beer while the cubs are blowing saves and striking out. But again, every fan base has it's good and it's bad. Us cub fans have unfortunately taken to the bottle to drown our misery in the garden of wrigley.

twitter

Archived