Your first jersey...

DGivens87

I was just thinking about it today, since so many of us own numerous jerseys (myself included)...what was the first jersey you ever owned? How old were you when you got it? Under what circumstance (birthday? Christmas? sporting event?)

I'll get it started:

First jersey: early 1990s Boston Bruins road black jersey

When/why did you get it and how old were you?: Christmas 1993, I was 12 years old at the time.

Let the nostalgia BEGIN!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1968 blue St. Louis Blues sweater (junior sized). It was an honest to goodness miniaturized version of the real thing right down to the same heavy fabric they used to use, the embroidered crest and stitched on tackle twill numbers (30 for Jacques Plante). Although I got it when I was born in April of 68, it didn't fit until I was 7.

I had a kids-sized Jordan jersey way back when (it was one of those deals where you got both a jersey w/ shorts and mini, and I do mean mini, hoop)

As for adult-sized, Mighty Ducks black jersey (a black version of their plum jerseys), and as for official, I got a Jerry Rice 49ers jersey (post-1995)

sportsbanner-single.jpg

This may be pushing it, but my first "jersey" was a Brooks Robinson giveaway T-shirt that I got when I was about 5. It was ringer T with black and orange trim on the collar and cuffs and accurate Orioles script and number (or at least accurate to a 5-year-old). I don't remember if it had the name and number on the back, but I'm pretty sure it did.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1992. I guess I was 25.

New England Patriots Red jersey, with MILLEN and 7 ironed on.

I bought it because it was on sale, from a US mail order place.

What I didn't know was it was on sale because

1) New England were changing to blue and

2) Because they had #1 pick in the draft and were taking either Bledsoe or Mirer.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

My first jersey was either a an away Leafs jersey from 1991/1992 OR an LA Kings one with Gretz on it from when I was 6 or 7...so...1993/1994.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I was thirteen, 1983, and just starting to realize I could get a real jersey

from looking in the back of Hockey News. I dragged my dad up to Fort Erie Ontario

to Don Simmons hockey store and got a white Sabres jersey by Maska. I then had it named and

numbered at a local sporting goods store with BARRASSO 30. I still have it.

based on the love of that jersey I then proceeded to get my second jersey, a red Montreal

Canadiens, also, Maska, with PENNEY 37. I still have this one too.

When I pull them out and look at them I can't belive I fit into them at one time. I feel like Mr. Incredible looking at his supersuit.

A Leafs away jersey from the 1992-1993 season. #16 Nikolai Borchevsky was probably the first jersey that I ever bought with my own money (I was 18 at the time).

I didn't really start collecting jerseys until 3 years ago when I bought a replica Coery Dillon Bengals jersey. Now I have way too many jerseys of all different sports and makes.

First jersey I got as a gift: New York Jets green replica #14 (Richard Todd)--7th B-Day present (1982)

First jersey I bought with my own $$$: Hartford Whalers replica blue jersey--19 (1994..right after they changed over to the blue)

First Authentic jersey I bought with my own $$$: Danbury Trashers game worn home jersey (#51 Russell Spence, now playing with Trenton of the ECHL) (just last week)

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I can't remember which was first...

Classic Minnesota North Stars home white with black, green & yellow trim from the early 80's purchased from the team at a game. I took it in to be customized with Neal Broten's #7 and they used the wrong font. I've been a picky bastard about that stuff ever since! Outgrew the darn thing and sold it on ebay.

Minnesota Golden Gophers early 80's road jersey with the "Flyers" style of sleeve striping, customized with #1. Still own that one but doubt it fits. Must have been a boys large or they just made them smaller back then becuase I didn't grow that much bigger as I got older.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived