Your first jersey...

DGivens87

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometime when I was in high school (early 80's), my mom went curling up in Manitoba, and she remarked to someone up there that her son was a Flames fan. A few weeks later, unexpectedly, these nice people sent a white Flames replica with Lanny McDonald's #9 sewn on. They also sent a 'flaming C' lapel pin that I wore on my jacket forever.

I wrote them a thank-you letter, and have loved Canada ever since!

I still have the jersey, but it doesn't fit, and is pretty dirty from overuse.

1992 Winter, freshmen in High School

Chicago Blackhawks Red Road Jersey from Manny's Baseball Land Catalog.

That was about the only place you could get out of town jerseys back then.

Manny's Baseball Land! Heck yeah! I saw their ad in Street & Smith Baseball and that was the only way to get out-of-town jerseys/caps. I got tons of caps from them before I got my first jersey.

Anyway, first jersey was in 1993. Atlanta Braves authentic batting jersey (basically a navy version of the home). I couldn't afford an authentic regular jersey, but I could afford the batting jersey (I was 18).

No name on the back at the time, but I still have it (in good condition, no less), and I got it professionally customized with #24 SANDERS (vertical arch and all, just like the Braves wear it).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

In the early '90's when I was 12 or 13 my parents bought me a red Chicago Blackhawks jersey from the Sears catalogue. I loved that jersey so much that I had my school picture taken in it that year.

Other early jersies: Eagles (Cunningham), Raiders (Bo Jackson), Bulls (Jordan).

The first jersey I bought was White Sox 1983 road Carlton Fisk. I wear it to every Sox game I attend.

A Cheap Liverpool FC Red when Adidas stil made them (I believe it was the last year before Carlsberg did the Shirt Sponsorship).

My first US is a Champion Replica Penny Hardaway White Magic Jersey with the pinstripes, that I got in XXL and used as sleepwear (I wear maybe an L now)

Sometime back around 1978-- I was thirteen or fourteen-- it was a number 7 Pistol Pete Maravich replica Jazz jersey. White mesh. I can't remember how I got it; I know it wasn't bought at a store. I think I won it in a radio contest or it was a promotional give-away or something.

Wish I still had it.....

Great topic, BTW!!

It is what it is.

I was just thinking about it today, since so many of us own numerous jerseys (myself included)...what was the first jersey you ever owned? How old were you when you got it? Under what circumstance (birthday? Christmas? sporting event?)

I'll get it started:

First jersey: early 1990s Boston Bruins road black jersey

When/why did you get it and how old were you?: Christmas 1993, I was 12 years old at the time.

Let the nostalgia BEGIN!

1980 White Browns # 17 jersey. Brian Sipe but with no name.

It had "BROWNS" printed across the front and the number on the front and back. It had short sleeves, but did have full striping.

I was 9 yrs old.

The first jersey I got, and still the only one that I own, is a replica Scott Rolen #17 Phillies jersey, which I got for my birthday in 2001. Since the trade I haven't taken it out of my closet. It's a replica jersey, so the name and numbers on the back are solid block red, unlike the real jerseys featuring red numbers with white trim. The jersey also has no number on the sleeve.

I'll probably be getting a new Phils jersey in northeastern PA when Majestic has their Warehouse Sale up there. I'd also love to get my hands on a #21 Notre Dame home football jersey (WR Maurice Stovall).

1st Jersey I ever owned in 1985 a CCM Replica Home New York Islanders jersey

1st game jersey 1994 Authentic Green Bay Packers Sterling Sharpe Jersey (two weeks later he was out of football)

1st jersey I ever bought on my own. Game worn Ed Westfall Islanders jersey from 1977

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

I started fairly late in the jersey owning. My first was the white Thrashers jersey back in like 2002, and got it because it was on sale.

I now have all 3 Thrashers jerseys, the home Braves jersey, the home red UGA football jersey, the dark Team USA hockey jersey, and a yellow Thrashers practice jersey.

None of my jerseys are personalized or have names or numbers on them (except for the UGA jersey, but it still has no name on it). I believe in the team concept, not the player concept. Players move around too much these days.....

Navy Chris Webber University of Michigan jersey. One of those Champion replicas with the heat pressed numbers, but I got the matching shorts too...lol

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

1988, 7 years old: Red 49ers Joe Montana jersey. It even had the white sleeves like he used to wear all the time. Damn I loved that jeresey.

Army Commo - "You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!"

It was '89 or '90, my uncle was in the navy at the time. He was over seas in japan or korea or somewhere. Anyways, he ordered me a full Lakers home uniform with the number 32 of course(he was still playing i'm sure of it) anyways not sure if the back was blank, had my name, or magic's. But it was the complete set. Jersey shorts, and the shoot around warm-ups. I believe it was all sewn on as well. got a picture of it somewhere with magic. i was 2 or 3 at the time.

Archived