Favorite college football unis

RVZ

There is no better uniform in sports than this:

48.jpg

Always good to brag about a design that is originally Princeton's.

Actually, you're wrong. I hate to defend Michigan, but it must be done. Michigan in no way stole Princeton's design. The design really isn't Princeton's to begin with. The leading helmet manufacturer of the time, which I believe was Spalding, began creating leather helmets with the stitching forming the "wing" pattern at the front of the helmet. Fritz Crisler, then at Princeton, started painting the wing design a different color than the rest of the helmet to give his team a unique look. He then moved over to Michigan and did the same thing to the helmets there. It's nothing more than Fritz Crisler leaving his mark at both Universities.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best helmet: (insert alma mater here): Wisconsin. I honestly believe it.

Best Jersey. UCLA's blue jersey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Actually, you're wrong. I hate to defend Michigan, but it must be done. Michigan in no way stole Princeton's design. The design really isn't Princeton's to begin with. The leading helmet manufacturer of the time, which I believe was Spalding, began creating leather helmets with the stitching forming the "wing" pattern at the front of the helmet. Fritz Crisler, then at Princeton, started painting the wing design a different color than the rest of the helmet to give his team a unique look. He then moved over to Michigan and did the same thing to the helmets there. It's nothing more than Fritz Crisler leaving his mark at both Universities.

Crisler only painted the wings orange for Princeton's receivers, to make them more noticeable.

My top 3 that I can think of, and I will take my cougs out of the running:

#1 - USC Home

a_leinart_i.jpg

#2 - Michigan Home

henne.jpg

#3 - Duke Home

NBAYHNTMITKSRFN.20051023060817.jpg

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I'm biased...but who cares!

p1_leak_si.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

syracuse.jpg

:puke:

________

In seriousness, without too much thought, my favorites are (with list subject to change if I expend more effort):

1. Michigan (No connection.)

2. Notre Dame (Wife's father and grandfather attended, but I am not a fan, which means much biting of the tongue, even though both are deceased.)

3. Penn State blue (The white crosses the line into too boring. I probably qualify as a Penn State hater, but the home unis are sharp).

4. Alabama crimson (White is better than Penn State, but still boring).

Okay, I guess I am a traditionalist now that I think about it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

48.jpg

It is if the color combo is better for that particular uniform -- and I am an Orioles fan who otherwise loves the black and orange.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

48.jpg

Are the true thieves the Delaware Blue Hens? I've read the account you have posted. I'm not aware of any Fritz Crisler connection to Newark, DE that would add the Hens to the mix.

Are the true thieves the Delaware Blue Hens? I've read the account you have posted. I'm not aware of any Fritz Crisler connection to Newark, DE that would add the Hens to the mix.

IIRC, Delaware had a coach who had previously served as an assistant at Michigan. He was so enamored of the Michigan (Princeton) uniform design and colors that he brought them to Newark, and the look has remained to this day (though UD uses Texas Tech's uniform numbers).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I don't think you can count ND's blue jerseys.

They're uniform may be traditional, but it doesn't have any distinct details to it anymore, so they end up looking like Navy.

-However, ND's kelly-green jersey if maybe the best 'special game' jersey of anyone. It's classy and flashy, a distinctly ND color, and incorporating even more gold into the uniform looks amazing. but unfortunatley for them, doesn't win any games.

-best contemporary jersey designs are obviously Miami and Oregon. Both uniforms are very original, bold, and have numerous details that are signifigant to their teams. Those uniforms will always be instantly recognizable, even when in motion. And they can be continuously added to, without sacrificing anything.

-Best traditional jersey is obviously Michigan. Classic contrasting colors. Simple design creates clean colors and edges. And the home uniform deisgn has remained the same since the leather helmet days. And obviously the helmet is they're defying signature. Bold, original, contrasting, and screams college football. You could never miss it or mistake it.

-Ohio state's isnt bad. It looks even better when on the field with Michigan. Both's team's colors clash as well as the players do. But, i think the sleeve stripes are lacking. They're screen-printed, and outlined in black. Looks like a high school jersey. And the silver glitter used on the helmets seems immature. If they want the helmets the be flashy and reflecting, i would suggest painting them like ND's gold helmets, instead of glitter.

USC- They have classic jerseys...they are just throwback enough and just modern enough. One of the best looks in college football

Alabama- I may be a bit biased on this, but hey can't beat the Crimson and White, simple, clean and traditional.

Notre Dame- Again- very classic look. Something about those Golden Lids.

Michigan- Crap I am sitting here trying to think of some unique teams, but I am pretty much putting the same thing as everyone else...Michigan has some sweet threads.

Ohio State- See all above comments

UCLA- I love the addition of Navy on the number outline. and POWDER BLUE BABY!!

I think I am like everyone else. I don't think I am a traditionalist and then I look at some of my favorite uniforms DOH!!!

I my opinion about ohio state's home jersey, however I think that their away unis could use some work. I think that white and silver/gray don't go well together. any way heres some more of my favorites.

1.Ohio State home jersey

2. USC home jersey

3.Notre Dame green jersey

4.Miami Orange jersey

Also I think that the worst, most boring, least interesting jersey of alltime in the history of everything that ever excisted is the penn state road uni! :evil:

How is Florida State's uniform a "modernistic" choice? It has no stripes at all. It hasn't really changed in many years, except for the number typeface a few years back. Heck, they still use porthole mesh and screened numbers.

I referred to Florida State as a modernistic uniform because of two things -- their sleeve stripes (which aren't easy to see) aren't traditional stripes, but designs. Also, their number fonts are anything but traditional.

Archived