Grey Cup Thread

lopernv

Well the wrong team won :D

But an exciting game.

This is one of the reasons I love watching the CFL.

(Now maybe the Esks won because the Al's pants stripes & jersey stripes didn't match?)

Esk fans have to feel this is sweet, as they had a lot against them this year--they didn't dominate like they have in the past.

Every CFL team except the 'Gades has had seasons like those (OK Saskaychewan has had one...

Now I can hardly wait for the Spring of '06.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

We had the Grey Cup in our sights, man!!!! What if the Als defence held the Eskimos scoreless the rest of the way? What if we didn't allow that 2-point conversion? Then Damon Duval's last-second field goal would've clinched it.

What if?

I don't wanna talk about it now. :cry:

But all I know is that the next time we face the "Evil Empire to the West", my wish would be:

To see less of this:

2.jpg

And a lot more of this:

gc07.jpg

We miss you, Marc.

What was up with the Als "TV Numbers" on their uniforms... have they been like that all season? And a new sleeve patch? I haven't been watching much CFL this year, but man those numbers are terribly small.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

What was up with the Als "TV Numbers" on their uniforms... have they been like that all season? And a new sleeve patch?Β  I haven't been watching much CFL this year, but man those numbers are terribly small.

Yeah, ever since these jerseys came out they've been like that. Not a bad jersey combination otherwise... at least, not as bad as their reputation makes them out to be.

Make the side stripes consistent and the TV numbers bigger, and bada-bing, you've got a potential classic. The colour combo is excellent.

...and after a snoozer of a first half, that turned out to be a fantastic game. Glad some of our Southern neighbours were able to enjoy it as well!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Montreal vs Edmonton - July 8, 2005

VMUCCWWQPNRQSNJ.20050709031347.jpg

Originally, the silver TV numbers on the Als' alternates were standard sized, and they fit alright on players with bigger shoulders, whose jerseys had enough blue material for them to show up properly, but on smaller players, like Ezra Landry, above, they overlapped the white area and became hard to make out.

Montreal vs Saskatchewan - August 4, 2005

PEWEZZKXWNMXJMS.20050805170005.jpgDOZDVNJHSRMGNLL.20050805171148.jpg

Now they seem to be sized to fit the amount of blue space on the shoulder.

I'm not sure if there are two sizes, large and small, or the numbers are uniquely sized to fit each individual jersey.

As SyPhi said, it was a snoozer of a first half. Luckily things did pick up in the late third, fourth and OT.

A radio DJ here in Edmonchuck called it the "best Grey Cup ever." I wouldn't go that far. It was good, but not the best ever.

A radio DJ here in Edmonchuck called it the "best Grey Cup ever." I wouldn't go that far. It was good, but not the best ever.

Agreed. Great, but not the best.

Beyond that, is it just me, or was that a terrible broadcast.

Steve Armitage is not well-suited for being a sideline reporter (he announces a good swim race, but on the sidelines I found him to be ill-equipped).

Chris Walby as a colour-commentator in the league's showcase game is a mistake (Edmonton failed fairly significantly to fulfill the requirements of his game notes, and still won).

Mark Lee tries too hard sometimes. Saying Mike Maurer, who had shaved his head into a mohawk, resembled Wolverine was laughable. The beard was remotely close, but the hairstyle was the exact opposite of Wolverine's.

The main camera was forever falling for the play-fakes. Most conspicuous to me was the Anthony Calvillo naked bootleg for the TD... the main camera stayed with RB Eric Lapointe looong after Lapointe had been stuffed and was clearly not in possession of the ball. Most of the other cameras at the game (that have a narrower perspective) managed to follow the play fairly well. Tompkins 96-yard kickoff return was also marred by the fact that they decided to use the camera suspended above the field for that shot.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Steve Armitage is not well-suited for being a sideline reporter (he announces a good swim race, but on the sidelines I found him to be ill-equipped).

Chris Walby as a colour-commentator in the league's showcase game is a mistake (Edmonton failed fairly significantly to fulfill the requirements of his game notes, and still won).

Mark Lee tries too hard sometimes. Saying Mike Maurer, who had shaved his head into a mohawk, resembled Wolverine was laughable. The beard was remotely close, but the hairstyle was the exact opposite of Wolverine's.

The main camera was forever falling for the play-fakes. Most conspicuous to me was the Anthony Calvillo naked bootleg for the TD... the main camera stayed with RB Eric Lapointe looong after Lapointe had been stuffed and was clearly not in possession of the ball. Most of the other cameras at the game (that have a narrower perspective) managed to follow the play fairly well. Tompkins 96-yard kickoff return was also marred by the fact that they decided to use the camera suspended above the field for that shot.

I didn't think the broadcast was that bad.

Steve Armitage is an alright sideline guy. He's no better and no worse than Elliotte Friedman, who I find can be sort of self-serving sometimes (see that pre-game he did on Jason Maas when he spent a good chunk of it talking about how his own mother died when he was 11).

Chris Walby ... I think he's good, or at least the best the CBC's got for colour commentators. Sure, his game notes were off, but you can't be right all the time. The only other guy they have for colour is Darren Flutie, but Walby's been doing it for a number of years longer than he has.

Mark Lee ... I'll say this: He's no Chris Cuthbert.

I only noticed the one time the cameraman got faked out, the one you mentioned. But then, as I was saying to my brother, that's how you know it was a great fake. ^_^

I'm glad to see they got the cable-cam ? I love some of the angles it can provide ? but perhaps it was overused a tad.

Archived