University Outbreak Challenge

Bearcats

what's annoying is half the people posting concepts arent crediting where they got the logo from. The logo's not yours, regardless if you tweaked it a bit, the artwork is not yours. So give credit where credits due. Prime examples...mcrosby and the hobags...i mean hodags (haha sorry i had to), and badger guy with the Crusaders...I've seen that image somewhere. its up to b & b whether or not to include these as entries, but I don't know...i strongly believe in 100% of the work being the actual entrants.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what's annoying is half the people posting concepts arent crediting where they got the logo from.  The logo's not yours, regardless if you tweaked it a bit, the artwork is not yours.  So give credit where credits due.  Prime examples...mcrosby and the hobags...i mean hodags (haha sorry i had to), and badger guy with the Crusaders...I've seen that image somewhere.  its up to b & b whether or not to include these as entries, but I don't know...i strongly believe in 100% of the work being the actual entrants.

Mcrosby withdrew, but can resubmit.

I'm hoping that the others will use the honor system and also withdraw their entries, but if they come up with something original they can resubmit.

buffalo_sig.png

In an effort to uphold the honor of the fair state of wisconsin (the 2 previous entries from teh state have both fallen under a cloud of suspicion), i will too be entering this contest. I havent yet determined a specific university name, but i will be looking for something which will allow me to portray the heritage and beauty of the upper midwest. As of right now I am leaning towards University of the Northwoods, however i am not 100% set on that yet. All i know is that i intend to submit an entry and it will be in Wisconsin.

All the other look great so far by the way!

UWMpanthers.gifgold_14.gif

well i am safe, i actually made the logo myself, and, yes and, i drew it on paper first but it still came out different oh well, better to come!

yes on this honour thing, i think it is fair, withdraw yourself, you dont have to tell anyone or make a post about it to humiliate myself, just edit your entry post and write 'entry withdrawn' 90% of us wont notice it gone, or have it withdrawn by the contest organsier BB

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Introducing the Central Pennsylvania Fightin' Muffins! Sorry if the images are really large. Hockey uniforms may be on their way...depending how bored I get over break.

As a former Central Pennsylvania resident (or at least someone who spent part of his years of higher education there), I am curious as to the town in which Central Pennsylvania University is located (and why you chose "Muffins" instead of something like "Pretzels", since you can't drive ten miles in that area without finding a pretzel factory :P ).

I honestly didn't know there even was a Central Pennsylvania University. I chose it because I didn't think there was such a thing. I just chose muffins because that's what I started to draw in illustrator. It just kinda worked itself out. Central Pennsylvania just came to me becxause of the Central Penn Panthers hockey team.

I think we have a misunderstanding, Shumway. To my knowledge, there is no such institution as Central Pennsylvania University (though there is/used to be a Central Penn Business School -- secretaries, medical assistants, court reporters, etc.). I went to law school in Carlisle (we used Central Penn student court reporters in our trial advocacy class), so I was just curious as to whether you had a town in mind. Otherwise, CPU is fine (and even if it existed, I doubt their nickname would be the "Fightin' Muffins"). :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I would love to see something in the rules of a contest that deals specifically with the origin of logos and other elements. In most contests, I would gather that a great number of entries are based on pre-existing logos. However, requiring all entries to be 100% original would greatly reduce the # of entries and, IMHO, the overall interest in the contest and who wants that? (Additionally, how do you define 100% original? It's not like we originally created the fonts we use or modify for our entries...but I digress).

Nevertheless, I agree 100% with the sentiment of "give credit where it is due." I think that damn near every pre-existing logo someone rips off is discovered by one of the members here (btw...great find, Shmee) and you'd want to credit your sources just to avoid the sheer embarrassment of being busted (and now disqualified). The problem though is that we know certain people that use existing logos almost exclusively and 99% of the time credit them. What about the 1 time they forget? Are they bounced from the contest for plagiarism? Who decides? Most of these contests aren't facilitated, they're just created and shifted on the fly.

So, is this going to result in a CCSLC Competition Council to monitor and facilitate contests? Will accused plagiarists have to state their cases to this body like an Honor Board at an academic institution? There were no rules against it. Sure it's dishonest, but not illegal or against the contest rules.

All I know is you can't disqualify someone for breaking a rule that doesn't exist. If someone is ashamed and decides to withdraw, that's their choice. IMHO, you CANNOT boot them and ban them from your other contests without "due process." But I will say this, it truly all comes down to personal responsibility and respect for the boards. If you "steal" a pre-existing logo, people will know most of the time and will call you on it. If you "use" a pre-existing logo and attribute the source, some people will still dock you or cry foul (maybe just not directly). My logos/concepts may suck (or be an abomination even), but at least I know did 'em.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Since there are so many entries, my suggestion is the voting style could be done in brackets because since their are so many excellent concepts, some may get over-looked if all of the concepts are thrown into one big pile to be voted on who has the best.

Since there are so many entries, my suggestion is the voting style could be done in brackets because since their are so many excellent concepts, some may get over-looked if all of the concepts are thrown into one big pile to be voted on who has the best.

I think that is a good suggestion. Two issues to consider, however:

1. That might drag out voting for a while (meaning BullsandBearcats may be running this until he is an old man).

2. BullsandBearcats has said there would be prizes for the top three overall. A bracket format wouldn't lend itself to that, unless you used the brackets to narrow the field to a certain number of finalists, then voted on a top three from there.

P.S. I don't know of another college that uses the name Leopards besides by alma mater, Lafayette (I'm sure there must be another, I just don't know who it is), and yet this contest managed to produce TWO. :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

My vote goes to j00

Aren't you supposed to wait until ALL of the entries are in? :P

Archived